World Cup SF: Sep 11 GDT - Czech Republic vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
If Canada can play the Czech defense very physical, they'll be in good shape. None of the Czech defenseman really play a dominant physical game, and guys like Ryan Smyth, Joe Thornton, and Vincent Lecavalier, that have played a bit more physical lately for Canada can take advantage of that.

Canada is going to have to play very well positionally, and the defenseman cannot get caught on the rush and give up odd man rushes against the Czech team.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
I dreamt last night that the Czechs won 4-1 (empty netter at the end), so I'll use reverse psychology and say Canada wins 4-1. I woke up very grumpy this morning after Canada "lost".

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Cawz said:
I dreamt last night that the Czechs won 4-1 (empty netter at the end), so I'll use reverse psychology and say Canada wins 4-1. I woke up very grumpy this morning after Canada "lost".
Haha. I'm very scared for tonight. I didn't really dream but if I had, Canada would humiliate the Czechs who I can't stand. Anyone but the Czechs. That being said, I believe in Canada's chance but gosh are the Czechs look dangerous. I'm afraid the Czechs will win and we'll never hear the end of it. I have no clue who will win and I can't pick. It's pretty 50/50.

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Do you guys think that maybe, just maybe, the Canadians are just trying to get into the heads of the Czech team? Is Brodeur really hurt or are they just playing this up so the Czechs think they will walk all over Canada? I'm thinking maybe Brodeur isn't actually hurt at all. Just a thought. :dunno:

But I guess we'll find out in 2 hours.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
oildrop said:
Do you guys think that maybe, just maybe, the Canadians are just trying to get into the heads of the Czech team? Is Brodeur really hurt or are they just playing this up so the Czechs think they will walk all over Canada? I'm thinking maybe Brodeur isn't actually hurt at all. Just a thought. :dunno:

But I guess we'll find out in 2 hours.

The thought did cross my mind. Saying that it's a "game-time decision" leaves a lot of room for him to play.

Even if he isn't, Czechs still don't know who they're up against until they skate out.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I'm guessing then all those people that said that in another thread that Brodeur wasn't the MVP of this team because he hasn't had to steal any games have had a change of heart.

Do you guys think that maybe, just maybe, the Canadians are just trying to get into the heads of the Czech team? Is Brodeur really hurt or are they just playing this up so the Czechs think they will walk all over Canada? I'm thinking maybe Brodeur isn't actually hurt at all. Just a thought.

Personally, I don't think the Czech team is thinking they are going to walk over Luongo. He's still a better goalie then Vokoun.

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
Amen. 100%

onice said:
Look, up till now, Canada could had Salo in nets and still won all their games. This is not taking anything away from Brodeur, he's a world class goalie but please don't tell me he's had to really work any magic in this series, so far. He really hasn't stolen any games for Canada. This tells me Canada has an excellent group of d-men and a great defensive plan. The d-men are still there and I assume the defensive plan will be there too.

True, the Czech team is coming around and they have an explosive offense. But Canada has an explosive offense also and a slightly better defense. The Czech goalie is good but not better than Luongo or Jose. In a one game winner-takes-all anything can happen even if Brodeur is in nets.

We've been boasting that we can put two or three Canadian teams into this tournament. Maybe the fates are putting our boast to the test. To be honest with you although I'm a Habs fan, I prefer Luongo to Theodore. When Theodore is on his game, there is no goalie in the world that can match him - not Brodeur, Roy or Tretiak. The problem is, Theodore is not always on his game. I think Luongo is a little more consistent.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
nomorekids said:
but they also haven't had to play a team with a goalie as good as vokoun, or with the firepower of the czechs(elias, hejduk, jagr, havlat,vyborny, zidlicky, just to name a few)

I saw the Czech\Sweden game, and I've seen every canadian game...and if the Czechs play the sort of game they played against Sweden...they're going to win this whole thing.
Thats true but the Czech D hasn't been forechecked like the way Canada can. 5-2 Canada

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
I think if Canada can play extremely physical without compromising discipline they should be able to slow down the czechs and throw them off their game a bit.
Hopefully we dont overreact to losing Brodeur and change our game.We have the talent to get the job done,then again so do they.Should be a great game.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Wow, Melrose just pretty much just called the Czechs 'w'ussies, said if you pound them enough they will give up because they don't want it as bad as the Canadians, because they hate physical play. Anybody else hear that? What a dick.

Hemsky is a gangsta

Hemsky is a gangsta
Jun 23, 2004
re

Only two things I noticed so far is that Dvoraks line was out against Smyths and I think Paulina Gretzky was lipsynching...she was "semi" lip synching at the Heritage Classic also (sang over a recording of herself)

I wonder if the czechs will pull off the upset or if this will be like the other game where it was fairly even and then Canada just kicked the slovaks around the ice

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
wow
this games looks impressive
canucks giving up puck too much
strong pressure by the czechs
canada all over the place and look in disarray.
nice play by Iginla, too bad he didn't pass the puck

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Lou is God said:
Wow, Melrose just pretty much just called the Czechs 'w'ussies, said if you pound them enough they will give up because they don't want it as bad as the Canadians, because they hate physical play. Anybody else hear that? What a dick.

I am so sick of Melrose's pro-Canadian gibberish. He's entitled to his oppinion but give it a rest Barry. :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->