World Cup SF: Sep 11 GDT - Czech Republic vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
I predict a Czech win.

Luongo isn't ready to face Jagr, Hejduk, Elias, etc.

BUT I wouldn't be surprised to see Canada win, because obviously, they are the better team.

I say 4-3 Czech Republic.

miss hockey

Sep 6, 2004
Helsinki
would it be great that there could be the europeans in the final...??... :amazed:

In all fairness it should be Canada, because they havent lost a game.

Czech would probably be better for Finland as we beat them once allready, but I think Canada should win 5-0. :yo:

It was worth staying up last night, cant wait to see Tuomo Ruutu maul Lemieux behind the canadian net!!! :yo:

way to go Finland!!!! :banana: :D

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
5-2 Canada. Luongo isn't much worse than Brodeur. He's the second best goaltender in this tournament...so I don't see the need for panic. You would have to be mentally ill to think that Canada is going to lose this one. Not a freakin chance :)

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
mikkoz said:
Canada has made at least four goals in most of the games so it gonna be 5-1 for Canada.

but they also haven't had to play a team with a goalie as good as vokoun, or with the firepower of the czechs(elias, hejduk, jagr, havlat,vyborny, zidlicky, just to name a few)

I saw the Czech\Sweden game, and I've seen every canadian game...and if the Czechs play the sort of game they played against Sweden...they're going to win this whole thing.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Look, up till now, Canada could had Salo in nets and still won all their games. This is not taking anything away from Brodeur, he's a world class goalie but please don't tell me he's had to really work any magic in this series, so far. He really hasn't stolen any games for Canada. This tells me Canada has an excellent group of d-men and a great defensive plan. The d-men are still there and I assume the defensive plan will be there too.

True, the Czech team is coming around and they have an explosive offense. But Canada has an explosive offense also and a slightly better defense. The Czech goalie is good but not better than Luongo or Jose. In a one game winner-takes-all anything can happen even if Brodeur is in nets.

We've been boasting that we can put two or three Canadian teams into this tournament. Maybe the fates are putting our boast to the test. To be honest with you although I'm a Habs fan, I prefer Luongo to Theodore. When Theodore is on his game, there is no goalie in the world that can match him - not Brodeur, Roy or Tretiak. The problem is, Theodore is not always on his game. I think Luongo is a little more consistent.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
nomorekids said:
but they also haven't had to play a team with a goalie as good as vokoun, or with the firepower of the czechs(elias, hejduk, jagr, havlat,vyborny, zidlicky, just to name a few)

I saw the Czech\Sweden game, and I've seen every canadian game...and if the Czechs play the sort of game they played against Sweden...they're going to win this whole thing.

I'd say Esche is as good as Vokoun and Russia had as much firepower as the Czechs. Canada just hasn't faced a team with both. On the same note, the Czechs haven't played anybody as good as Canada.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
nomorekids said:

The American team is better than the Czech and Esche is a better goalie than Vokoun. You saw what Canada did to the Americans.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Though I definitly root for the Canadians, I think there will be a little upset and the Czechs will win it. 2-1.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
onice said:
The American team is better than the Czech and Esche is a better goalie than Vokoun. You saw what Canada did to the Americans.

the american team isn't close to as good as the czechs and i'm an american...and nor do I think Esche is as good as Vokoun. Esche was incredible with the defense he had in front of him..but the Czechs defense is better. And yes, I saw what Canada did to the Americans...they won by one goal. I just hope you're not looking past this game, because I think that if Canada wins this..it will be by squeaking by.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
nomorekids said:

The Czechs just flew over an ocean to come into the Air Canada Centre and face the best team in the tournament. It's not an easy task. And the Czechs haven't played a team with the firepower Canada has and haven't played against a goalie as good as Luongo, and I'm not forgetting about Kipper.

If Canada plays the way they have played the first four games of this tournament they will win the whole thing. Canada's offensive players will be challenged a lot more by the Finns than the Czechs.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
onice said:

No way are the americans better than the Czechs, they have no where near the same fire power up front.

Oh no Brodeur is being replaced by Luongo, darn whatever shall we do. There is very little difference between the two other than Brodeurs experience.

I say 4-2 Canucks in a barn burner.

Havlat and Elias are looking incredible so far that is the line Canada will have to look out for.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
I agree. This will be Canada toughest test so far, and I would prefer to have our number 1 guy in net.
I did say before the tourney that I felt Luongo is a better tender than Brodeur.
Let's hope he doesn't make me look foolish tonight.
I predict a squeeker, let's say 2-1 Canada.

miss hockey

Sep 6, 2004
Helsinki
nomorekids said:
the american team isn't close to as good as the czechs and i'm an american...and nor do I think Esche is as good as Vokoun. Esche was incredible with the defense he had in front of him..but the Czechs defense is better. And yes, I saw what Canada did to the Americans...they won by one goal. I just hope you're not looking past this game, because I think that if Canada wins this..it will be by squeaking by.

This is game 7 hockey, something similar to the fin-usa game is very likely. :jump:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
nomorekids said:

While not looking past this game, I do think you are giving the Czechs far too much credit. I watched the Sweden game, heck I've seen every minute of every game except the first US-Russia game. You are ignoring Canada's team defence and focusing solely on the Czechs. Canada has given up 3 goals in four games and with any other goalie in the NHL outside of Brodeur (aside from Trevor Kidd) it would be 3-5 goals allowed.

While Canada plays a more open style, they certainly dominate puck control. They have done it against every team. You don't see any of Canada's defensmen stand around and admire opposing forwards a la Brian Leetch/Saku Koivu. Whil I don't expect the Canadians to score more than 3 or 4 goals tonight it's the Czechs who will be hard pressed to generate goals.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
nomorekids said:

You, like me before the series, are underestimating this American team. I'd say they're the third in this tournament. Behind Canada and Finland. And Esche was the only reason the American team stayed in that Canada-USA match-up. I'm not looking past this game (and even if I was it wouldn't affect the results - I'm not playing). I'm telling you the Czechs are not as good as the American team overall.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I'm afraid with Blake, Pronger and Brodeur out. Especially considering the Czech revival ever since the last period of the 4-3 loss agains the swedes. Yes I'm worried.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
I'm hoping Canada wins, but I think all of us Canadians are fogetting one thing...Tomas Vokoun. He is better then Bryzagalov, Lasak and Esche. Vokoun will be the difference maker in this game. If he is on I won't be surprised if the Czech's win 2-1 or 3-1.

Either way this game will be a doozy!

Unbiased Canadian

Kasparov*

Everyone who is worried Canada will lose, and predicting Czech win, i hope you come back and apologize for being so crazy when Canada kicks the Czech's asses!

DevMod9

onice said:

The Americans also played reckless pond hockey in the first three games until implementing a structured defensive system in the elimination games. Wilson talked about this last week.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
This game is all about mental preparation - if Canada has even the smallest attitude problem, they could be in trouble. If they don't underestimate the czechs they will most likely win the game relatively easily because they simply have much better team in all areas.

Luongo's confidence is also one thing - if Czechs manage to score a quick goal, it could shatter Canada's gameplan. Emphasis on word 'could'...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->