World Cup: Sep 2 GDT - Finland vs. Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raimo Sillanpää said:
Finland with an unchanged line-up against Germany. Same players that beat the Czechs 4-0 will play today according to Yle (sport.yle.fi for you Finns).
I know the saying that you shouldn`t change the winning team, but this is ridiculous.

Let`s scratch MKoivu, Tuomo and Jarkko Ruutu and give Hahl, Laaksonen ja Nieminen a chance.

Noutaja

Aug 29, 2004
I would scratch Ruutu brothers (to give them rest) and Berg (I think Pitkänen would be much better choise against Germany).

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
This is a must win for Finland. Sweden beat the Czechs last night but they only won with a goal. If Finland wins Germany by at least two goals margin, a tie against Sweden would be enough to be number in European pool. So this is a very important game. Kipper seems to have coaches trust but I'd let Lehtonen play this one. IMO he needs a game and this would be it. Also I'd let Nieminen and Väänänen play so they could show what they can do.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Lehtonen32 said:
I'd give Lehtonen a chance, we all know he's better than Kiprusoff anyway.. ;)

You all?

Anyways, I would have given Bergs place to Pitkänen, we need more offensive power against Germanys turtle defense and rest Berg for the game against Sweden. Also rest Jarkko Ruutu, his "skills" are needed against Sweden who are considerably bigger. Antti Laaksonen could have added some scoring touch against Germany.

Oh yeah... result will be 6-0 to Finland. Jokinen gets at least 2 goals from close range.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Padawan said:
This is a must win for Finland. Sweden beat the Czechs last night but they only won with a goal. If Finland wins Germany by at least two goals margin, a tie against Sweden would be enough to be number in European pool.

Two goal margin? A win should be enough from what I counted. Sweden and Finland are both at +4 goals now, if Finland wins today they will be at least +5 and would win the pool.

But what if Germany beats the Czechs or ties them? Finland-Sweden game could become very boring if both tried to lose it :amazed:

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Germany will likely shuffle the lineup, five or six players have minor injuries.

I'd say 5-2 Finland. It would be closer, if Germany could play their style for the whole sixty minutes, but they are not constant enough. They will have a phase in which the D will be wide open and you can't have that in a competition like this.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
I'm beginnig to think this news about Tuomo Ruutu having a arm/hand injury is bs.. If he was injured, he would have surely gotten a rest against Germany. On the other hand he didn't make a single hit aganist the Czech's, which is usually one of his trademarks.. Hope he's ok..

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
SergeiK said:
I know the saying that you shouldn`t change the winning team, but this is ridiculous.

Let`s scratch MKoivu, Tuomo and Jarkko Ruutu and give Hahl, Laaksonen ja Nieminen a chance.
I can understand wanting to scratch Tuomo, because he appears to be injured and we need him later on. Jarkko played OK but didn't do much, so I can understand this too. But what's with Mikko? General crankiness from your part?

teme said:
I can understand wanting to scratch Tuomo, because he appears to be injured and we need him later on. Jarkko played OK but didn't do much, so I can understand this too. But what's with Mikko? General crankiness from your part?
C`mon. If Finns need a defensive center, who would be better choice - Mikko Koivu or Riku Hahl?

Mikko Koivu played average game and is now being praised for the fact that he didn`t suck.

Role that younger Koivu played can be played easily by Riku Hahl. Hahl has proven himself that he can play that game with best of them. Koivu`s demonstration of skill is one game againts mentally shaken Czech team.

I`m confident that Koivu won`t suck against Germany, but when the going gets tougher we need guys that have played against superstars. Hahl has proven himself to be able to play against Mats Sundin and Dany Heatley. Mikko Koivu has proven himself that he can play against Marko Kivenmäki and Kalle Kerman. If appreciating Hahl`s merits higher than M.Koivu`s, is being cranky, then I`m 100 % cranky.

Last edited:

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
SergeiK said:
I`m confident that Koivu won`t suck against Germany, but when the going gets tougher we need guys that have played against superstars. Hahl has proven himself to be able to play against Mats Sundin and Dany Heatley. Mikko Koivu has proven himself that he can play against Marko Kivenmäki and Kalle Kerman. If appreciating Hahl`s merits higher than M.Koivu`s, is being cranky, then I`m 100 % cranky.

Yeah I understand your point but it could be that Hahl sucked in the practise games, or that Summanen is saving him for the game against Sweden. Of course Hahl is more proven than Koivu, but naturally Koivus potential is significantly higher. It seems that he has grown a lot and I would not be surprised if he was already at the same level if not higher than Hahl. Hahl has proven himself to be a 4th line center in the NHL on a good day....are those the merits you are talking about?

I'd prefer Hahl in the game against sweden too...but the difference between these guys is minimal at best. And naturally coach knows more about their condition and motivation. Laaksonen is much more proven than half the team and he is not playing either.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Finnish players don't know how to come out and give a let down. They know what they're up against, and they know who they're competing with. Finland 5 Germany 2

Muddy Wilbury

Flyers Fan in Ottawa
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, ON.
TK79 said:
I'm beginnig to think this news about Tuomo Ruutu having a arm/hand injury is bs.. If he was injured, he would have surely gotten a rest against Germany. On the other hand he didn't make a single hit aganist the Czech's, which is usually one of his trademarks.. Hope he's ok..

sounds like everythings ok....

"I am expecting a tough game tonight and even tougher on Saturday against the Swedes. I was watching the game between Sweden and Germany and the fact is, that the Germans have absolutely nothing to lose against us. The only thing for us is to win this game and get home ice advantage for next week. The Germans are gonna come at us really hard. The crowd will be so loud and we will have to play well to win this one. It isn’t going to be easy.

Well, tonight we will know…"

- Tuomo

Arne

Aug 30, 2004
Kotka, Finland
Suomi will win 5-1. I think that Germany gets at least one very good change to score. I dont mean those "blueline shots going wide but then accidently the puck gets in the net by the goalie" although they seem to work against Sweden. :p:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad