World Cup: Sep 1 GDT - Canada vs. Slovakia

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceDragoon

Jun 25, 2003
South of Sanity
Visit site
Egil said:
Brewer has been Canada's WORST defenseman. No ifs, ands or buts. You see a scoring chance, and HALF the time it is from Brewer not being in position.
Give your head a shake, 'cause your eyes are stuck. :shakehead
You see Brewer make a bad move, then you probably play it over and over in your mind, till you're convinced he's making all these mistakes you're imagining.
Obviously, the coaches don't see what you see, or Brew wouldn't get so much time on ice.

They are ALL making mistakes, AND recovering WELL, or covering up for teammates' errors.
IOW - Canada is playing a strong TEAM game.
Only allowing 2 goals in 2 games proves that.

The goal against last night, was the result of a bad bounce, not a bad play.
Brew was fighting for the puck, in traffic.
He got possession and sent it up the boards, as he should.
It took an unlucky bounce off a teammate, right to Bartecko or Radivojevic, can't remember which.
Then, Cibak buries a rebound, in (what seemed like) a split second.
Could have happened to any Dman, even one of the best.

imho - all our D looks really good out there.

If you think Brewer is so bad, tell me what you make of Chara's game.
Wasn't he up for the Norris last year?

Last edited:

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
IceDragoon said:

I shudder to think what people would be saying if it was Brewer instead of Chara on the Thornton goal. "The worst defensman ever in the history of any kind of hockey, and where."

IceDragoon

Jun 25, 2003
South of Sanity
Visit site
Dan Galvin said:
I didn't see anything on here,b ut I thought I heard Melrose say Redden got banged up last night? Does anyone know? Sorry if it was mentioned already.
JBo will be in on Saturday.
So far it looks like a slight sprain of his left shoulder.
They think Wade will/should/could :dunno: be back for the quarter final game on Wednesday.

[url="http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/WorldCup/2004/09/02/613229.html"]http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/WorldCup/2004/09/02/613229.html</FONT>[/url]

edit - They can't call up another Dman unless 1 more player gets hurt, as they still have 24 able bodies.

Last edited:

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
IceDragoon said:
Give your head a shake, 'cause your eyes are stuck. :shakehead
You see Brewer make a bad move, then you probably play it over and over in your mind, till you're convinced he's making all these mistakes you're imagining.
Obviously, the coaches don't see what you see, or Brew wouldn't get so much time on ice.

They are ALL making mistakes, AND recovering WELL, or covering up for teammates' errors.
IOW - Canada is playing a strong TEAM game.
Only allowing 2 goals in 2 games proves that.

The goal against last night, was the result of a bad bounce, not a bad play.
Brew was fighting for the puck, in traffic.
He got possession and sent it up the boards, as he should.
It took an unlucky bounce off a teammate, right to Bartecko or Radivojevic, can't remember which.
Then, Cibak buries a rebound, in (what seemed like) a split second.
Could have happened to any Dman, even one of the best.

imho - all our D looks really good out there.

Chara made a BAD mistake on the Thornton goal (and he will tell you so himself). It happens. I am NOT ripping Brewer due to ONE mistake, but for MANY mistakes.

Now, not ONE thing you said in your entire post argues what I said, that Brewer has been Canada's WORST defenseman so far. In fact the defense of Brewer for the most part has been to attack the source, which is complete horsecrap. My defender made the team (and clearly had a larger role than Brewer), I have NO motive for hating on Brewer, except what I see. And what I see is Canada's WORST defender. Someone has been Canada's worst defender (and ignoring J-Bo cause he hasn't played), it has been Brewer.

IceDragoon

Jun 25, 2003
South of Sanity
Visit site
Egil said:
Chara made a BAD mistake on the Thornton goal (and he will tell you so himself). It happens. I am NOT ripping Brewer due to ONE mistake, but for MANY mistakes.

Now, not ONE thing you said in your entire post argues what I said, that Brewer has been Canada's WORST defenseman so far. In fact the defense of Brewer for the most part has been to attack the source, which is complete horsecrap. My defender made the team (and clearly had a larger role than Brewer), I have NO motive for hating on Brewer, except what I see. And what I see is Canada's WORST defender. Someone has been Canada's worst defender (and ignoring J-Bo cause he hasn't played), it has been Brewer.
I'm not attacking you.
We are all entitled to our opinions, no matter how wrong we are.
I am, however, wondering what the heck you are looking at, to see these "MANY" mistakes from Brewer.
btw - Chara made more than one mistake.:)

You stated what you thought you were seeing and I stated that, apparently, the coaches didn't see what you thought you were seeing.
Because if, as you say,
Egil said:
Brewer has been Canada's WORST defenseman. No ifs, ands or buts. You see a scoring chance, and HALF the time it is from Brewer not being in position.
he would be the worst defender, and he'd be benched or in the PB.
He would not be on the ice for twenty-something minutes a game, with the world's best players.
Quinn and Hitchcock know how Brewer is playing.
They don't think he is Canada's "WORST" Dman, or they wouldn't play him.
And, now that we have only 6 healthy D, I think he'll see even more toi.

As I stated before, they are playing a strong TEAM game.
They make some mistakes, they recover well and cover for each other.
Even Scott Niedermayer (only one of my favourite Dmen :D ) has, dangerously, coughed up the puck in our zone a few times.
But, thanx to the positional support of his teammates, we came out ok and we're still 2 and 0.

Now...
I've tried to use different words to say the same thing I said before.
If you don't get my counter to your post, maybe you're too engrossed in looking for the worst of the best.
"Can't see the forest for the trees", ring a bell?

I think all our boys (Brewer included) are playing some solid, exciting hockey and I'm going to enjoy it.
May I suggest, that you do the same?
After all, who knows when we'll get to see these guys play again?!?

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
wilka91 said:
Canada is playing like at any other Canada Cup before (except 84) and winning all round robin games. It was meant to be.
You're talking too soon. Canada may lose to Russia Saturday. Russia looks like a great team. I think not having all the big stars was a blessing. The young players on team Russia are there to prove to the world that they are elite players and therefore will play hard. I'm afraid of the Russians.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I love how I watch Brewer twice a year in the NHL and I'm a Brewer basher.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Canada is playing like at any other Canada Cup before (except 84) and winning all round robin games. It was meant to be.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
IceDragoon said:
I'm not attacking you.
We are all entitled to our opinions, no matter how wrong we are.
I am, however, wondering what the heck you are looking at, to see these "MANY" mistakes from Brewer.
btw - Chara made more than one mistake.:)

You stated what you thought you were seeing and I stated that, apparently, the coaches didn't see what you thought you were seeing.
Because if, as you say, he would be the worst defender, and he'd be benched or in the PB.
He would not be on the ice for twenty-something minutes a game, with the world's best players.
Quinn and Hitchcock know how Brewer is playing.
They don't think he is Canada's "WORST" Dman, or they wouldn't play him.
And, now that we have only 6 healthy D, I think he'll see even more toi.

As I stated before, they are playing a strong TEAM game.
They make some mistakes, they recover well and cover for each other.
Even Scott Niedermayer (only one of my favourite Dmen :D ) has, dangerously, coughed up the puck in our zone a few times.
But, thanx to the positional support of his teammates, we came out ok and we're still 2 and 0.

Now...
I've tried to use different words to say the same thing I said before.
If you don't get my counter to your post, maybe you're too engrossed in looking for the worst of the best.
"Can't see the forest for the trees", ring a bell?

I think all our boys (Brewer included) are playing some solid, exciting hockey and I'm going to enjoy it.
May I suggest, that you do the same?
After all, who knows when we'll get to see these guys play again?!?

Ok, replace "worst Defender" with "worst defender who played", and you have my opinion (I think Brewer is better than J-Bo, who I'm sure management is now regretting having selected over a better player, with these 2 injuries).

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002
I haven't had a chance to post yet after attending the game, but I just wanted to say that the Slovakian fans were some of the classiest, friendliest and most sportsmanlike fans that I've ever come across. Great stuff.

IceDragoon

Jun 25, 2003
South of Sanity
Visit site
Egil said:
Ok, replace "worst Defender" with "worst defender who played", and you have my opinion (I think Brewer is better than J-Bo, who I'm sure management is now regretting having selected over a better player, with these 2 injuries).
:lol :handclap:
You know...
It's a slippery slope, once you start back-peddling.
;) :D

I don't think it's going to matter who we have playing.
Even if we disagree with the selections of certain players, we can't argue the TEAM mindset, since Gretz and Co. took over.
These guys are giving everything they have, for each other and our beloved Maple Leaf.

And when the WC is over, we'll all go thru withdrawals together.
:(

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Lexicon Devil said:
I haven't had a chance to post yet after attending the game, but I just wanted to say that the Slovakian fans were some of the classiest, friendliest and most sportsmanlike fans that I've ever come across. Great stuff.

I was actually surprised at how many Slovakian fans there were. Did they come in from all around?

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
IceDragoon said:
:lol :handclap:
You know...
It's a slippery slope, once you start back-peddling.
;) :D

I'm not backpedling. I actually meant that Brewer was the worst defender who played, though it was phrased poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->