World Cup of Hockey '96

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
That series never took place. Much like the moon landing, it was fabricated to boost the morale of the American people. Never speak of it again.

bastone

Mar 24, 2005
I remember that,the thing I wanna see again is that Slovak goalie kick the puck like he used too.That was crazy!!!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
World Cup of '96, when I first decided that I was a die-hard hockey fan, and hockey became my favorite sport. Interestingly enough it wasn't because of that final series between the USA and Canada, but the semifinal game between Canada and Sweden that went into double overtime and I think Theo Fleury had the game winning goal.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
World Cup of '96, when I first decided that I was a die-hard hockey fan, and hockey became my favorite sport. Interestingly enough it wasn't because of that final series between the USA and Canada, but the semifinal game between Canada and Sweden that went into double overtime and I think Theo Fleury had the game winning goal.
That game was easily the best from the two World Cups and the last Canada Cup. It was a classic in every sense of the term: a thrilling battle between two evenly matched teams, with great skill on display, and great goaltending. I was on the edge of my seat throughout the two overtimes.

The two World Cups and the last Canada Cup have often been marred by lethargic play and a lack of interest from the players. A lot of guys have taken a pass on the tournament, something you wouldn't have seen with the Canada Cup in the 80s, when everyone wanted to play.

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
:yo: Germany 7 - 1 Czech Republic :yo:

The German players were more interested in getting an autograph from Gretzky than playing against him in the quarterfinal. :biglaugh:

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
That game was easily the best from the two World Cups and the last Canada Cup. It was a classic in every sense of the term: a thrilling battle between two evenly matched teams, with great skill on display, and great goaltending. I was on the edge of my seat throughout the two overtimes.
I fondly remember that game as well, and I share much of the same opinions about it as you do. In all the international hockey that I've watched, I don't think there has been one tournament that has really pulled my Canadian strings as that game, and the subsequent final. Since then, I've been largely apathetic towards cheering for Canada, since I feel that smaller hockey nations are more compelling to watch. However, that game was legendary, and I'll never forget the final goal, where nobody knew who scored, but everybody was ecstatic that it went in. Tommy Salo and Curtis Joseph played exceptional. It's a shame that the semi-final is hardly talked about in terms of the greatest hockey played. Everybody talks about 1972, 1987, 2002, but forget some of the best games were played in other tournaments.

Lost Kangaroo

Jun 4, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
High-stick! High-stick!

I have that entire series on tape, and have watched them a few times. Not only was Hulls goal not a high stick, but Cananda was lucky to even be in a game 3. Aside from game one of the finals the US was undefeted, and Canadas OT goal in said game was on a play that was WAY offside.
Fact of the matter is, that at that time, that US team was better than that Canada team. Maybe it was because the Gretzkys, Messiers, and Coffeys of the team were past their prime, and the core of the US team was in theirs. Maybe it just had to do with Richter just flat out being better than Joseph. Maybe the US team was just able to jell as a team better in the short time teams have to do it in in these short tournys. Whatever the reason, in the sunner of 96, Team USA was the best team in the world.

Canadian fans kill me. It doesnt have to be a highstick goal that cost you the championship, It is possible that you just lost.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I have that entire series on tape, and have watched them a few times. Not only was Hulls goal not a high stick, but Cananda was lucky to even be in a game 3. Aside from game one of the finals the US was undefeted, and Canadas OT goal in said game was on a play that was WAY offside.
Fact of the matter is, that at that time, that US team was better than that Canada team. Maybe it was because the Gretzkys, Messiers, and Coffeys of the team were past their prime, and the core of the US team was in theirs. Maybe it just had to do with Richter just flat out being better than Joseph. Maybe the US team was just able to jell as a team better in the short time teams have to do it in in these short tournys. Whatever the reason, in the sunner of 96, Team USA was the best team in the world.

Canadian fans kill me. It doesnt have to be a highstick goal that cost you the championship, It is possible that you just lost.
Hey, I remember that final game very well. IMO, Canada outplayed the USA by a wide margin & Richter stole it for the USA. But, hey, goalies are part of the team.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Sadly, I don't believe there are any plans to hold a World Cup of Hockey in 2008.

Lost Kangaroo

Jun 4, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Hey, I remember that final game very well. IMO, Canada outplayed the USA by a wide margin & Richter stole it for the USA. But, hey, goalies are part of the team.

I dont know that I would say they were outplayed by a "wide margin", but you are right, Richter was out of this world in that game.
No matter how you slice it, every game of that final series and the semis as well, were great games. Some great games with end to end action. I can watch them over and over.

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro

Not until after Garpenlov hit the f-n crossbar... what could've been.

Oh well, it was pretty epic.

Small Brain Presence

Don't know if this goes here, but where can i get a copy of this series where Mike richter won Mvp? tks.

I know that you can't get a copy of this series in Canada. Since Canada did not win the World Cup, it was not deemed to be worthy enough to be memorialized on videotape.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I went to the USA/Canada exhibition in Vancouver and that has to go down as one of the top three loudest games in the history of the building.

This is one of those games that you'll never forget even though it was an exhibition.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Sadly, I don't believe there are any plans to hold a World Cup of Hockey in 2008.

That would be sad news imo. I hope when the do bring it back that they will have the 96' trophy again. Last World Cup wasn't as memorable because most of the players were past there primes guys like Hull, Lemiuex, etc. but imagine the talent in 2008? Crosby, AO, Kovalchuk, Phaneuf, Lundqvist, etc.

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
The thing that I get most from that series is how underated of a goalie Mike Richter was. Just about anytime he was on a good team, he did something special. 94 The Stanley Cup, 96 The World Cup, 97 Brought The Rangers to the ECF even though they had no buisness of being there. 2002 Olympics Gold Medal Game. If Richter wasnt on the joke of a franchise the Rangers were, (1998-2003) he would have had a ton more wins, obviously more playoff appearances, and possibly another cup or two.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
The thing that I get most from that series is how underated of a goalie Mike Richter was. Just about anytime he was on a good team, he did something special. 94 The Stanley Cup, 96 The World Cup, 97 Brought The Rangers to the ECF even though they had no buisness of being there. 2002 Olympics Gold Medal Game. If Richter wasnt on the joke of a franchise the Rangers were, (1998-2003) he would have had a ton more wins, obviously more playoff appearances, and possibly another cup or two.

Agreed. If the Rangers hadn't reitred his Jersey the franchise would have been a bigger joke than it was at the time.

Sonny Lamateena

Nov 2, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario

Yep, Richter will always be underrated, playing on terrible defensive teams and also haveing his career cut way short due to injury will keep him out of the Hall of Fame and only really appreciated by the people that saw what an amazing talent he was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad