World Cup fever in Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Hockey was no.1 since the 2000 WC's but after the recent performance of our players at the WC and the better play of our soccer players, hockey may well now be no.2 here. But hockey was no.1 for a long time here.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
This will be the biggest game in Finland's history. No way to flopt onight, but to match the intensity of canada, they have to be flawless, especially Kipper.
Should be a real tight shell for 2 periods.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Mr. Penguin said:
But I still expect the ratings to be pretty high, especially in Canada. But I doubt the game will get as high ratings in Canada as the CAN-USA final in Salt Lake City, or what you Canadians think? Are everyone in canada going to watch this game? :)
I don't think the rating will be anywhere near the CAN-USA final in Salt Lake City. Not because it was against the USA, but because it was the Olympics and also because of the anticipation of winning something big. Remember that at the time, Canada hadn't won a major event for quite some time. The Olympic final was our opportunity to change our period of failure (World Cup '96, Nagano '98 and let's not forget our 50 years without a Gold medal) if I may say so. For this World Cup, sure many people will watch but this is no Olympic and well, it's not like Canada is despirate to win like it was in Salt Lake City. We simply want to win because we expect to always win like we're supposed to. :)

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
I think this would fit better in here.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/WorldCup/2004/09/14/628889.html

Finland! Why, it's got only 5.2 million people, three-quarters of its surface is forest, and what right does a country that is, I believe, somewhere off the east coast of Africa, have in deciding to beat us in hockey?
:lol:
This is just so funny. I don't know if this writer serious or what. Finland is from the east coast of Africa? Geez, I didn't know that before. I knew that Canada is hockey crazy nation just as Finland is but to come up with a reason why to hate another nation because of a hockey game?

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
Padawan said:

This is just so funny. I don't know if this writer serious or what. Finland is from the east coast of Africa? Geez, I didn't know that before. I knew that Canada is hockey crazy nation just as Finland is but to come up with a reason why to hate another nation because of a hockey game?

I think he was joking.

Er... I hope so... :amazed:

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Padawan said:

Oh please, it is SO OBVIOUS that the goal of the article is to humour us. The main message of the article is basically that it's hard to hate Finland. Take the USA for exemple. They are the most powerfull country in the world and they are our neighbour. It's tough to have a world power as a neighbour because neighbours tend to compare with each other and we always end up being the loser most of the time. That's why it's so easy to hate them. Notice that the writer used the words "self-esteem" numerous times and "inferiority complex"? Wanting to prove that we exist is what's driving us to perform. But with Finland, that sentiment is not present. Just read Canadian posts and you can see that most like Finland. So as a joke, the journalist is pointing out reasons to hate Finland and of course the reasons themselves are funny. I mean if you think his remark about Santa Claus is serious, well you probably have not a single drop of sense of humour in you.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Canuck21t said:
I mean if you think his remark about Santa Claus is serious, well you probably have not a single drop of sense of humour in you.
My point was mainly of the geographical "joke". Finland being "somewhere off the east coast of Africa". That is just freaking hilarious. The other thing I wanted to point out that there is really no reason to hate a nation just because and during a hockey game. Just support your team and that's it.

Oh, Santa Claus is definetly from Finland. That's a fact.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Padawan said:
My point was mainly of the geographical "joke". Finland being "somewhere off the east coast of Africa". That is just freaking hilarious. The other thing I wanted to point out that there is really no reason to hate a nation just because and during a hockey game. Just support your team and that's it.

Oh, Santa Claus is definetly from Finland. That's a fact.
Well that geographical mistake was also a joke. I'm pretty sure the guy at least knows that Finland is nowhere near Africa. That whole article is based on humour. The push to hate Finland is also just for fun. If he really wanted Canadians to hate Finland, don't you think he'd find better reasons than Miss Universe, Miss World and Santa Claus? You are still taking this article too seriously. And heck, there are teams that I do hate and it's so much more satisfying when we beat those which we hate rather than those that we like. I mean if Canada beats Finland tonight, I'll be happy of course but I'll also feel bad for Finland. But if we could beat the US, Russia or the Czech Republic convincingly, I'd be in heaven.

Most important, Santa Claus is from Canada. I know, it's Canada Post that has the exclusive rights to send kids letters to him.

Last edited:

msb

Sep 14, 2004
Viitasaari, Finland
Finland! Why, it's got only 5.2 million people, three-quarters of its surface is forest, and what right does a country that is, I believe, somewhere off the east coast of Africa, have in deciding to beat us in hockey?

Do you really know where Finland is?
Sometimes finnish newspapers write about people in USA don't know where Finland is, but know canadians?

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
msb said:
Sometimes finnish newspapers write about people in USA don't know where Finland is, but know canadians?
Canadians are not much more knowledgable in geography than Americans but we do know that Finland is nowhere near Africa for crying out loud. We know it's a Nordic country somewhere near North Korea right?

mackdogs*

msb said:
Well now you're comparing our education systems which isn't a good thing to do. In Canada we learn the geography of all continents in detail. I can't say for sure but would bet all my money the U.S. does not do the same since a lot of Americans don't even know where Canada is.

Most Canadians know where Finland is, if not all. Please see the humor in the article. I think the English as a second (or third...) language people are really getting this article wrong.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
mackdogs said:
a lot of Americans don't even know where Canada is.
i don't know anyone personally who wouldn't know something like that. where do you get this information that americans don't know where canada is?

4U

Sep 11, 2004
Dark Metamorphosis said:
i don't know anyone personally who wouldn't know something like that. where do you get this information that americans don't know where canada is?

where is America...?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I have to say that Jere Lehtinen has shown his real class in this tournament... Now only if he was more egoistic and wouldn't feel bad about taking someone else's spot come world champs time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad