World Cup fever in Finland

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by Rob, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob

Rob Registered User

Home Page:
    I'm glad that Finland made it to the final. The two countries in which this championships means the most are Canada and Finland. They are the only countries in the world where hockey is number 1. (it is my understanding that hockey is number 2 in Russia, Sweden, Czech, and Slovakia)

Koivu's winning goal against the US is being touted as the biggest goal in Finnish hockey history, for now. Maybe it will be different after Tueday night's game.

I'll be cheering for Canada but I won't have a big problem losing to a hockey nation like Finland.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Finland, a country of five million people, had never beaten the U.S. in a World Cup or Canada Cup before Friday's 2-1 victory over the Americans in St. Paul, Minn.

Referring to the Americans' victory at the 1980 Olympic Games, Ilta-Sanomat said Finland had already performed a miracle at this World Cup.

``Stunning! Unbelievable! Marvellous!'' the newspaper crowed.

``We run out of adjectives when reporting Finland's achievements at the hockey World Cup. There's only one game left - the final - and Finland's still in. Yes, in the highest calibre hockey tournament with the world's best players,'' Ilta-Sanomat wrote.

``The Finnish Lions are now doing something that we have never achieved. Not even got close.''

The Iltalehti tabloid featured a full-page photo of Montreal Canadiens forward Saku Koivu on the cover of its 16-page sports supplement Monday with half of the pages devoted to the World Cup.

The headline read: Koivu shot in the most important goal in Finnish hockey history.

``This was the greatest achievement in Finnish ice hockey through time immemorial,'' forward Teemu Selanne was quoted as saying. ``Being world champions in 1995 was a major achievement as was the bronze (medal) in Nagano.

``But this (victory over the U.S.) supersedes both of those. It's the World Cup and all the best players are there.''

http://www.tsn.ca/world_cup_hockey/news_story.asp?id=98589

2. VanIslander

VanIslander Don't waste my time

I wouldn't be surprised if the Finns were really excited before the tourney. Even I, and at least two other Canadians here at HFBoards, went on record before the tourney as picking Finland to have the best chance to win if Canada doesn't.

The Finn line-up for this tourney was ripe for success. They brought all the tools.

I remember at the 2002 Games hearing a CBC broadcaster say that Finland was the only nation to win two Olympic medals in ice hockey in the nineties (bronze, twice).

And that was with rosters filled mostly with non-NHLers. Those days are over for Finnish hockey.

(As I predicted in August: A Canada 4 Finland 1 Final. Between the two best teams in the tourney. With Sakic or Kiprusoff as MVP. My mantra never changes because this tourney has gone totally as expected by some of us.)

3. Bill McNeal

Bill McNeal Registered User

N/A
    SUOMI!!!!!!!!!!!

Err, I mean, Go Canada! :)

I'm sure I'll develop a hate for the Finnish team between 7PM and whenever the game ends, but when it's over I'll love em again :)

4. Schenn02

Schenn02 Registered User

Home Page:
    Wow thats amazing. In 24 hours, I think we shall have a good idea of who will be winning the game. May the best team win..err the team with the best goaltender win lol. GO TEAM CANADA!!

5. Masao

Masao Registered User

Home Page:
    I hope the Swedish players paid close attention to the way Finland has played in the tournament so far. They might learn a thing or two...

6. sonnytheman

sonnytheman Registered User

women
    Home Page:
    That CBC broadcaster was definitely wrong, since Canada won silver in 1992 (led by Lindros and Burke, but losing to the CIS) and 1994 (led by Kariya and Nedved, when Forsberg scored the shootout winner and Kariya missed).

That's just the top of my head, there could have been another country.

7. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Registered User

I'm glad to see this happen to Finland, they are a very passionate hockey nation that many people have not been taking seriously over the past while. Props to Finalnd.

Having said that, GO CANADA! ;)

8. GKJ

GKJ Global Moderator

Go Finland!

SUOMI!

9. VanIslander

Opps, I just remembered it a little wrong. He must have said Finland was the only nation to win medals in ice hockey in the last two Olympics heading into Salt Lake. In 1994 it was Sweden, Canada, Finland and in 1998 it was the Czech Rep., Russia, Finland.

Anyways, the point is that Finland has done alright over the last decade ("They ain't no Germany"), and they are almost ripe for greatness. Almost. (Canada 4-1 in the Final here we come! :jump: )

10. f1nn

f1nn Registered User

Suomi!!!

Toivottavasti Huomenna Maailman Mestarit!!

11. Rocky Saginuts

Rocky Saginuts Registered User

Wow, talk about a mutual admiration society - not enough bad blood in this game to make it compelling.

We need to develop a healthy hate-on. What happened to the good ole days when we'd call the Finns a bunch'a visor wearin' figure skatin' whiners? :cry: Eh?

12. Canuck21t

Canuck21t Registered User

Yeah but that would be very hypocritical because my favorite player, Joe Sakic, wears a visor.

13. VanIslander

Those were mostly directed toward Swedes.

The Don Cherry characterizations of Europeans as soft and scared of contact never applied to Kurri, Tikkanen, and that 30-goal NHL scorer Petri Skriko (who was traded to Boston for the Peca draft pick).

Finns play a style of hockey more like Canadians than like Swedes or Russians.

With this tourney, finally, the "European" label is being thrown out the window.

14. Russian_fanatic

Russian_fanatic Registered User

I can't wait for this game! I'm very excited may the better team win :)

GO CANADA GO!!!

15. El_Loco_Avs

El_Loco_Avs Registered User

Student
    Finland has the best hockey names as well :banana:

16. Jussi

Jussi Registered User

Home Page:
    Which no North American can spell correctly. :lol

17. Arne

Arne Registered User

Yeah, Too many Selane's and Ninnima's. I think only one they get always right is Koivu. But you know... everytime you hear somebody say a finnish name ****ed up something great has happened.

18. DanKramerHabs

DanKramerHabs HFBoards Partner

Student
    Home Page:
    This is the final I wanted from the start. My country vs. that of my favourite player.

I've been cheering for Finland the whole way, but it's Finals time, so I have to say GO CANADA!!! (but Go Saku too!!!)

19. Ill be very happy if Canada wins but at the same time i'll be very sad for Koivu.

20. Mr. Penguin

Mr. Penguin Registered User

Hmm... I'd say that hockey is number 1 in Slovakia, and Sweden is a hockey crazy nation also... well not anymore. :D

Anyways, one of the best things in Finland is definitely the fact that hockey is the number one sport here. It's easy to be a hockey lover since many of my friends are really excited about this tournament and this final. Well I guess almost everyone in Finland is excited about the final. Unfortunately the game starts 2 am our time so only real hockey freaks will be able to watch the game... :shakehead
    But I still expect the ratings to be pretty high, especially in Canada. But I doubt the game will get as high ratings in Canada as the CAN-USA final in Salt Lake City, or what you Canadians think? Are everyone in canada going to watch this game? :)

21. I would say that any country in europe who has a natl. soccer team (except for Finland where hockey really is #1) has hockey as its #2 sport.

22. SChan*

SChan* Guest

swedens nr1 sport is hockey. period.

wtf where did all my countrymen go :dunno:

23. Pavel

Pavel Registered User

I'm just looking forward to a good game. This will be the last one we see with NHL'ers for a while. An overtime game winner by Lemieux would be fine with me.

24. arrbez

arrbez bad chi

nah, i doubt it'l be rated as high. for the olympic final EVERYONE watched. my mom, my grandma, everyone. there was litterally nobody on the street. just the situation with so much national pride on the line 2002.

for this year, i think all the sports fans will be watching, but i'm sure my mom and grandma will have better things to do...

25. Pablo

Pablo Registered User

Even if Canada would lose? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.