World Cup Eligibility

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by Tricolore#20, Jan 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tricolore#20

Tricolore#20 PK PK PK

Home Page:
    Since this tournament is technically not a IIHF tournament, apparently the IIHF nationality rules will not apply. So Petr Nedved can play for the Czechs and Nabokov can play for the Russians. Are there any other exceptions like this?

I write this, because it is POSSIBLE that Dany Heatley won't make team Canada. Since he was born in Germany, could the Germans ask him to play? I'm sure he wouldn't, but it could happen right? What about a guy like Antropov, he's a Kazak. But could the Russians ask him to play, if the senior Russian players opt not to play for Tikhonov?

2. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager

I had some questions about this as well. I doubt Heatley would play for Germany, he's Canadian through and through. I'd be more interested in seeing what happens with a guy like Bobby Holik who is an American citizen and would be a great checking line center.

3. L3DZ3P

L3DZ3P Registered User

Student
    Nope he wont play for germany and this is 100% sure.

4. Dr_Chimera*

Dr_Chimera* Guest

Don't quote me on this but I think the rule might be that you have to play a certain number of years (5 I think) for the country in order to perform for its national team.

Nabokov is therefore eligible to play for Russia.

5. brian

brian Registered User

Home Page:
    The World Cup is not being played under IIHF rules and as long as you have citizenship of one country you are allowed to play for them.

6. Dr_Chimera*

Dr_Chimera* Guest

Link?

I heard that the 5-year rule applies.

The difference between IIHF and World Cup is that you can't play for one country at 18+ and then switch.

7. Buffaloed

Buffaloed webmaster

It appears that the NHL and NHLPA are the sole deciders of eligibility and the rules will be very relaxed.
    http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/030403/6/sist.html

8. Pekka Lampinen

Pekka Lampinen Registered User

Home Page:
    After that article was written, the deadline for naming the 18 players was moved to May and the World Championships can be used for testing players.

9. Dr_Chimera*

Dr_Chimera* Guest

Right - they're very vague about it. I would expect that in order to play for a country a player must be "affliliated" with it more than simply by virtue of birth. So, no Heatley-Germany stuff - which is irrelevant anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.