World Cup Eligibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Since this tournament is technically not a IIHF tournament, apparently the IIHF nationality rules will not apply. So Petr Nedved can play for the Czechs and Nabokov can play for the Russians. Are there any other exceptions like this?

I write this, because it is POSSIBLE that Dany Heatley won't make team Canada. Since he was born in Germany, could the Germans ask him to play? I'm sure he wouldn't, but it could happen right? What about a guy like Antropov, he's a Kazak. But could the Russians ask him to play, if the senior Russian players opt not to play for Tikhonov?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Tricolore#20 said:
Since this tournament is technically not a IIHF tournament, apparently the IIHF nationality rules will not apply. So Petr Nedved can play for the Czechs and Nabokov can play for the Russians. Are there any other exceptions like this?

I write this, because it is POSSIBLE that Dany Heatley won't make team Canada. Since he was born in Germany, could the Germans ask him to play? I'm sure he wouldn't, but it could happen right? What about a guy like Antropov, he's a Kazak. But could the Russians ask him to play, if the senior Russian players opt not to play for Tikhonov?

I had some questions about this as well. I doubt Heatley would play for Germany, he's Canadian through and through. I'd be more interested in seeing what happens with a guy like Bobby Holik who is an American citizen and would be a great checking line center.

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
Tricolore#20 said:

Nope he wont play for germany and this is 100% sure.

Dr_Chimera*

Don't quote me on this but I think the rule might be that you have to play a certain number of years (5 I think) for the country in order to perform for its national team.

Nabokov is therefore eligible to play for Russia.

brian

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
The World Cup is not being played under IIHF rules and as long as you have citizenship of one country you are allowed to play for them.

Dr_Chimera*

brian said:
The World Cup is not being played under IIHF rules and as long as you have citizenship of one country you are allowed to play for them.

Link?

I heard that the 5-year rule applies.

The difference between IIHF and World Cup is that you can't play for one country at 18+ and then switch.

Dr_Chimera*

Buffaloed said:
It appears that the NHL and NHLPA are the sole deciders of eligibility and the rules will be very relaxed.
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/030403/6/sist.html

Right - they're very vague about it. I would expect that in order to play for a country a player must be "affliliated" with it more than simply by virtue of birth. So, no Heatley-Germany stuff - which is irrelevant anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->