Toronto FC: World Cup Brazil/TFC Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Knee surgery and then playing a month later is pretty impressive, IMO.

Sure, but if you look at the procedure and the ETA (especially among athletes) it isn't a remarkable feat. If Falcao were to be participating in the WC I'd consider that a much more impressive accomplishment.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Knee surgery and then playing a month later is pretty impressive, IMO.

I'm probably just nit-picking, but those United teams with Ronaldo were very good. A front line of Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez. A prime Vidic and Ferdinand in defence, an actual midfield of Scholes and Giggs.

The Fifa rankings are based largely on qualifying, where Switzerland did have a better campaign than France. I would also say that Switzerland does not match up well against France. There's a reason they've never beaten France before. They should still end up qualifying, however.

I would also include Belgium on the list of great European teams. They've managed to find ways to win even while playing below their potential.

As a Liverpool fan, and Suarez fan, this was his break-out season where he put himself on par or arguably better than the best in the world. It's what he does from here that will define his ranking, since Ronaldo, Messi, and even Ibrahimovich have been doing this for years.

There's lots of talk about Suarez leaving Liverpool, anyway. Madrid and Barcelona to battle it out.

Barca won't have the $$$, having to replace Xavi, Fabregas, and Puyol. Given they have Neymar and Messi, than spending make no sense. Madrid continues to fawn, but will they offer up a world record fee, given that Pool will be under no obligations to allow talks, after making the Champions League?

I can't see it.

kfernandes29

Aug 16, 2005
Suarez

33 League games 31 goals
0 European games 0 goals
4 Cup games 0 goals

Total = 37 games 31 goals , no penalties

Messi
31 League games 28 goals, 6 penalties
7 European games 8 goals, 2 penalties
8 cup games 5 goals , 0 penalties

Total = 46 games 41 goals 8 penalties

Ronaldo

30 league games 31 goals , 6 penalties
11 European games 17 goals , 1 penalty
6 Cup games 3 goals , 2 penalties

Total = 47 games 51 goals , 9 penalties

He played 11 CL games because he led Madrid there

It's funny how you're so annoyed and calling Ronaldo a choker yet completely ignoring that he's been playing injured for 3 months :laugh: . So what if Ronaldo plays for Madrid? His 46 goals helped Madrid conquer La Liga after 3 trophy-less seasons. He also didn't have the greatest cast at Manchester United, a very good team no doubt but they were also barren for 3 seasons before Ronaldo helping them lift 3 straight titles as well as a champions league which he was the best player AND best scorer.The same for this past seasons champions league with Madrid.Messi plays for Barcelona(Spain NT) yet no one wants to talk about that. Suarez helped win a Copa America as well as being in first place in the EPL before choking it away

Not liking Ronaldo is ok but don't lie about how good he is just because you like another player

Also of note, Ronaldo is not a striker. He is a winger. Those other two SHOULD score more goals based on that fact alone.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
The thing with Germany is that so much more is expected of them. You'd think they would have at least one Euro or WC title after so much dominance but they have nothing to show for it. They kill it in the group stage and in the R-16, QF's but when they get to the SF's/championship they **** up.

If "****ing up" means losing to the eventual champ(ie Spain).

I would agree that it's basically title or bust for a team with this talent, but excepting the performance against Italy this past Euro I didn't see any choking going on.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
What a bunch of divers Chile are... as soon as they get into the box, they fall down and look for a penalty. Meanwhile Robben runs through people to get a quality shot off.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Well, the FIFA rankings... :laugh: Switzerland is 6th and France is 16th or something like that...Unfortunately the game showed something completely different. :shakehead

I guess Italy will win tomorrow. Italy is never very good in the beginning of the tournament, but they can play better when it really matters and it matters tomorrow. I would bet a lot on Italy.

Netherlands: They played fantastic against a horrible Spain, but almost struggeled against Australia --> Chile was better so far in my opinion. But well, we will see it tonight. (ok, I am not very neutral in this one, since I REALLY like Chile)

France: They have beaten Honduras and a horrible Swiss team. But still, they are playing great. Let's see what they can do against Ecuador, they won't give up goals for free like the Swiss did (look at the pass from Behrami before the 2nd goal of France:cry: or the 4th goal, what the hell was Senderos doing there?)

I think the two top teams of South America (Brasil and Argentina) will play stronger in the KO games than they did so far (and obviously they HAVE TO).
I also like the chances of Chile and Colombia (even though they are missing Falcao).

Best chances from the European teams have probably (in no particular order):
Germany (unfortunately :D), France and Italy.

Well, no disagreement that the FIFA rankings are off somewhat because they do rank within each qualifying group first with not enough emphasis comparing against other groups, but France and the Swiss were in the same qualifying group.

As for Italy and Uruguay, the rankings would be secondary to betting odds which shows them relatively even. Uruguay to take this one but probably a close game.

Best chances the European teams have probably (in order):
Germany (fortunately :D), Netherlands, France, Switzerland (if they can pass Ecuador), Belgium, Italy (if they can get past Uruguay).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad