Toronto FC: World Cup Brazil/TFC Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Tiebreaker goes like this:

Points ---> Goal differential ---> Goals for ---> Head to head result ---> A ****ing lottery

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Yes, tough for Portugal to do it, they would have to gain a plus five of Portugal plus goals and US minus goals.

A tie would put US through at second place but if:

Germany 2 - US 0 and Ghana 1 - Portugal 0 ... or

Germany 1 - US 0 and Ghana 2 - Portugal 0 ... or

a combination of those plus/minuses, then US is out.

Points count first, then goal difference, then if still tied, total goals.

So Ghana has a chance but Portugal is screwed, basically.

Pretty good World Cup so far with some heartbreakers for sure. But no one is running away with it so far. I thought Germany looked like one of the best after the first game but then the tie vs. Ghana. Spain out, Portugal out, England out (no surprise there). Brazil obviously the favorites yet to be seen the level they can play at.

It's looking wide open right now! :D

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Bradley screwed that all up for the USA. I like Bradley at TFC but can't wait for Bastian to abuse him on Thursday. Bradley has been awful this whole tournament.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
ghans find themselves up against a thirsty portu squad
they'll need help from scoring

at the same time hoping the usa dont increase their goals
but as good as ze germons are

i saw potential in the offense for the states
for a bunch of mls players, they have game

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
LOL why am i not surprised, not a good year for European teams.
Well i will be watching tokyo ghoul this summer, and high school DXD with Rias Gremory, screw the world cup, back to just TFC soccer on friday.

I like your taste :handclap:

Anyways all of the games today were amazing. Belgium vs. Russia was good and Hazard took over near the end when Lukaku was replaced by Origi. I really like the red devils so much youth and speed and with a world class superstar in Hazard they could go far.

Algeria and Korea was a barn burner match Algeria looked amazing Feghouli was awesome and H M Son was better but still tried to be maradonna

The US Portugal game was wicked. Ronaldo needed 1 cross to change the game. Bradley was awful but he did do some good things. USA played very well I hope Germany can eliminate them on Thursday though, I'd like to see the portugese or Ghana move on.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
Well 1/3 again (15/26) lol tmrws predictions:

Belgium 3-Russia 1
Hazard, Mertens, KDB
Kokorin

Korea Rep. 2- Algeria 1
Son H M, Koo J C
Feghouli

USA 1-Portugal 2
Dempsey
Nani, Ronaldo

well another woeful day 1/3 (16/29)
Tmrws predictions:

Netherlands 3-Chile 2
RVP, Robben x 2
Sanchez, Vargas

Australia 0-Spain 1
Costa

Brazil 4-Cameroon 0
Neymar x 2, Oscar, Bernard

Mexico 1-Croatia 1
GDS
Perisic

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
It will most certainly come down to goal differential... no way Ghana doesn't beat Portugal based on what we've seen so far, they are far superior, the question is by how much... and USA will definitely lose. I'm hoping USA loses by just one goal, and Ghana wins by just one goal so USA can advance... the tiebreaker would be tied in goal differential but because USA beat Ghana that is the next tie breaker... but honestly I could definitely see Ghana putting up a big score against Portugal and knocking USA and Portugal out... I think Ghana will win 3-1... To all the Portuguese supporters, I have found all most of all you first class... I was cheering for America today downtown and not one Portuguese fan said anything (to my surprise) but unfortunately it just wasn't your year. Ronaldo is still great (better then Messi IMO) so you can be greatly proud to have the best footballer in the world. This is the group of death and two great teams were going to be eliminated no matter what.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
It will most certainly come down to goal differential... no way Ghana doesn't beat Portugal based on what we've seen so far, they are far superior, the question is by how much... and USA will definitely lose. I'm hoping USA loses by just one goal, and Ghana wins by just one goal so USA can advance... the tiebreaker would be tied in goal differential but because USA beat Ghana that is the next tie breaker... but honestly I could definitely see Ghana putting up a big score against Portugal and knocking USA and Portugal out... I think Ghana will win 3-1... To all the Portuguese supporters, I have found all most of all you first class... I was cheering for America today downtown and not one Portuguese fan said anything (to my surprise) but unfortunately it just wasn't your year. Ronaldo is still great (better then Messi IMO) so you can be greatly proud to have the best footballer in the world. This is the group of death and two great teams were going to be eliminated no matter what.

I hope that both, USA and Ghana, will win 3-0. :sarcasm: Bye bye Germany! It would be a like a dream, if Spain and Germany get eliminated after 3 games. :naughty:

Today:
Australia-Spain 1-2
Netherlands-Chile 2-2

Cameroon-Brasil 1-3
Croatia-Mexico 2-1

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Ronaldo better than Messi??
LOL.

He couldn't tie Luis Suarez's boots.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Ronaldo better than Messi??
LOL.

He couldn't tie Luis Suarez's boots.

155582.jpg

messi.jpg

ronaldo.jpg

Just saying

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
155582.jpg

messi.jpg

ronaldo.jpg

Just saying

Suarez missed 10 league games and still scored as many as Ronaldo. Ronaldo also scored 10 from penalties, an opportunity Luis doesn't have, With Gerrard the PK taker.

Ronaldo is straight up choking for Portugal AGAIN, Suarez continues his POTY form from the season, even after knee surgery less than a month before the cup.

Ronaldo plays for Real Madrid, maybe the best supporting cast in all of football.... Showing him with the cup doesn't win many arguments with that roster.

Messi has also won that trophy.

What Suarez did this year, was carry a building, developing club on his back, nearly to a league title they had no business contending for, all the while missing 10 games, and scoring 31, while assisting on 21.

Ronaldo is great, but it's not like he carries the weight in Madrid. Not even close.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Whoever called Germany the San Jose of soccer couldn't be any more wrong. Last 12 years of WC and Eyro, they've made the finals twice and at least the semis in all but one time (out in group stage in Euro 2004). Meanwhile, Portugal has one
finals (losing to a far inferior team in Greece), one semis, and only a bunch of quarterfinals and a round of 16.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Suarez had a cleanup surgery so it was really never out of the realm for him to play well in the World Cup. Ronaldo however has a lingering issue in his knee that is greatly hindering his performance. I never thought that I'd have to defend the guy but he's as much of a choker at the international level as Messi is. You just go as far as your team goes. I'd hate to think that Suarez was undeserving of his PoTY in the EPL once Uruguay gets knocked out (inb4theymakethefinals)...

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Whoever called Germany the San Jose of soccer couldn't be any more wrong. Last 12 years of WC and Eyro, they've made the finals twice and at least the semis in all but one time (out in group stage in Euro 2004). Meanwhile, Portugal has one
finals (losing to a far inferior team in Greece), one semis, and only a bunch of quarterfinals and a round of 16.

The thing with Germany is that so much more is expected of them. You'd think they would have at least one Euro or WC title after so much dominance but they have nothing to show for it. They kill it in the group stage and in the R-16, QF's but when they get to the SF's/championship they **** up.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Suarez missed 10 league games and still scored as many as Ronaldo. Ronaldo also scored 10 from penalties, an opportunity Luis doesn't have, With Gerrard the PK taker.

Ronaldo is straight up choking for Portugal AGAIN, Suarez continues his POTY form from the season, even after knee surgery less than a month before the cup.

Ronaldo plays for Real Madrid, maybe the best supporting cast in all of football.... Showing him with the cup doesn't win many arguments with that roster.

Messi has also won that trophy.

What Suarez did this year, was carry a building, developing club on his back, nearly to a league title they had no business contending for, all the while missing 10 games, and scoring 31, while assisting on 21.

Ronaldo is great, but it's not like he carries the weight in Madrid. Not even close.
Suarez

33 League games 31 goals
0 European games 0 goals
4 Cup games 0 goals

Total = 37 games 31 goals , no penalties

Messi
31 League games 28 goals, 6 penalties
7 European games 8 goals, 2 penalties
8 cup games 5 goals , 0 penalties

Total = 46 games 41 goals 8 penalties

Ronaldo

30 league games 31 goals , 6 penalties
11 European games 17 goals , 1 penalty
6 Cup games 3 goals , 2 penalties

Total = 47 games 51 goals , 9 penalties

He played 11 CL games because he led Madrid there

It's funny how you're so annoyed and calling Ronaldo a choker yet completely ignoring that he's been playing injured for 3 months :laugh: . So what if Ronaldo plays for Madrid? His 46 goals helped Madrid conquer La Liga after 3 trophy-less seasons. He also didn't have the greatest cast at Manchester United, a very good team no doubt but they were also barren for 3 seasons before Ronaldo helping them lift 3 straight titles as well as a champions league which he was the best player AND best scorer.The same for this past seasons champions league with Madrid.Messi plays for Barcelona(Spain NT) yet no one wants to talk about that. Suarez helped win a Copa America as well as being in first place in the EPL before choking it away

Not liking Ronaldo is ok but don't lie about how good he is just because you like another player

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
2 of the top 5 European teams are out in the first round that is surprising,

England is not a top 5 team in Europe.

At least Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal, Italy and France are better. (I like England more than these 6 teams)

England has one of the best leagues, but the national team is not very good IMO.

Results of England since 2002:
WC 2002: Out in the quarterfinals
EC 2004: Out in the quarterfinals
WC 2006: Out in the quarterfinals
EC 2008: DNQ
WC 2010: Out in the round of sixteen
EC 2012: Out in the quarterfinals
WC 2014: Out in groupe stage

Regarding Ronaldo, Messi and Suarez:
Ronaldo and Messi are CLEARLY better than Suarez. In my opinion CR7 is also better than Messi.
(Ibrahimovic is also better than Suarez...hell, Suarez is in my opinion not even in the top 5...while the top 3 is clearly Ronaldo, Messi and Ibrahimovic...the ranking of the top 3 is debatable)

Last edited:

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
So Ghana has a chance but Portugal is screwed, basically.

Pretty good World Cup so far with some heartbreakers for sure. But no one is running away with it so far. I thought Germany looked like one of the best after the first game but then the tie vs. Ghana. Spain out, Portugal out, England out (no surprise there). Brazil obviously the favorites yet to be seen the level they can play at.

It's looking wide open right now! :D

Tomorrow, Italy and Uruguay play to see which of the two go through. Uruguay is a very good team and ranked higher in FIFA but betting odds has the game ranked equal. If Uruguay does win, Italy is also out.

Brazil looking only so so ... France and Netherlands looking strong.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
Tomorrow, Italy and Uruguay play to see which of the two go through. Uruguay is a very good team and ranked higher in FIFA but betting odds has the game ranked equal. If Uruguay does win, Italy is also out.

Brazil looking only so so ... France and Netherlands looking strong.

Well, the FIFA rankings... :laugh: Switzerland is 6th and France is 16th or something like that...Unfortunately the game showed something completely different. :shakehead

I guess Italy will win tomorrow. Italy is never very good in the beginning of the tournament, but they can play better when it really matters and it matters tomorrow. I would bet a lot on Italy.

Netherlands: They played fantastic against a horrible Spain, but almost struggeled against Australia --> Chile was better so far in my opinion. But well, we will see it tonight. (ok, I am not very neutral in this one, since I REALLY like Chile)

France: They have beaten Honduras and a horrible Swiss team. But still, they are playing great. Let's see what they can do against Ecuador, they won't give up goals for free like the Swiss did (look at the pass from Behrami before the 2nd goal of France:cry: or the 4th goal, what the hell was Senderos doing there?)

I think the two top teams of South America (Brasil and Argentina) will play stronger in the KO games than they did so far (and obviously they HAVE TO).
I also like the chances of Chile and Colombia (even though they are missing Falcao).

Best chances from the European teams have probably (in no particular order):
Germany (unfortunately :D), France and Italy.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
Suarez

33 League games 31 goals
0 European games 0 goals
4 Cup games 0 goals

Messi

Ronaldo

It's funny how you're so annoyed and calling Ronaldo a choker yet completely ignoring that he's been playing injured for 3 months :laugh: . So what if Ronaldo plays for Madrid? His 46 goals helped Madrid conquer La Liga after 3 trophy-less seasons. He also didn't have the greatest cast at Manchester United, a very good team no doubt but they were also barren for 3 seasons before Ronaldo helping them lift 3 straight titles as well as a champions league which he was the best player AND best scorer.The same for this past seasons champions league with Madrid.Messi plays for Barcelona(Spain NT) yet no one wants to talk about that. Suarez helped win a Copa America as well as being in first place in the EPL before choking it away

Not liking Ronaldo is ok but don't lie about how good he is just because you like another player

I'm going to agree with this and say Ronaldo has been bar none the best player on the planet the last season. What he did was ridiculous. His scoring speaks for itself, not to mention UCL for RM. He's been at a torrid pace and been better than both Messi and SUarez this coming from someone who thought Messi and Ronaldo are pretty much equal and both in their own stratosphere compared to the rest of the planet. (However Luis Suarez is closing that gap)

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Suarez

33 League games 31 goals
0 European games 0 goals
4 Cup games 0 goals

Messi

Ronaldo

I just don't look at Ronaldo's doings, with Di Maria/Benzema/Bale/Özil/Modrich/Khedira/isco, as outstanding as what Suarez does with Sturridge/Sterling/Gerrard/Coutinho.

What Suarez did, in context, is incredible.

I don't hate CR7, but he and Messi are both international choke artists. Messi has been better in this WC, as has Suarez. I think Messi is a better player overall, and the best in the world. I think Neymar has the potential to be the next one. Suarez has put himself in the now 5-man discussion (Ibrahimovich deserves credit here, too).

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Suarez had a cleanup surgery so it was really never out of the realm for him to play well in the World Cup.

Knee surgery and then playing a month later is pretty impressive, IMO.

He also didn't have the greatest cast at Manchester United, a very good team no doubt but they were also barren for 3 seasons before Ronaldo helping them lift 3 straight titles as well as a champions league which he was the best player AND best scorer.

I'm probably just nit-picking, but those United teams with Ronaldo were very good. A front line of Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez. A prime Vidic and Ferdinand in defence, an actual midfield of Scholes and Giggs.

Well, the FIFA rankings... :laugh: Switzerland is 6th and France is 16th or something like that...Unfortunately the game showed something completely different. :shakehead

Best chances from the European teams have probably (in no particular order):
Germany (unfortunately :D), France and Italy.

The Fifa rankings are based largely on qualifying, where Switzerland did have a better campaign than France. I would also say that Switzerland does not match up well against France. There's a reason they've never beaten France before. They should still end up qualifying, however.

I would also include Belgium on the list of great European teams. They've managed to find ways to win even while playing below their potential.

I just don't look at Ronaldo's doings, with Di Maria/Benzema/Bale/Özil/Modrich/Khedira/isco, as outstanding as what Suarez does with Sturridge/Sterling/Gerrard/Coutinho.

What Suarez did, in context, is incredible.

I don't hate CR7, but he and Messi are both international choke artists. Messi has been better in this WC, as has Suarez. I think Messi is a better player overall, and the best in the world. I think Neymar has the potential to be the next one. Suarez has put himself in the now 5-man discussion (Ibrahimovich deserves credit here, too).

As a Liverpool fan, and Suarez fan, this was his break-out season where he put himself on par or arguably better than the best in the world. It's what he does from here that will define his ranking, since Ronaldo, Messi, and even Ibrahimovich have been doing this for years.

There's lots of talk about Suarez leaving Liverpool, anyway. Madrid and Barcelona to battle it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->