88FPhoebe Stänz Suzuka Taka, DK Peregrine
Naho Terashima, Daishin
Haruka Toko, Seibu Princess Rabbits
Rui Ukita, Daishin
Haruna Yoneyama, DK Peregrine
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
If the Swiss Miss Ice Mice think they can run over Japan like they did Korea they got another thing coming to them.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
All tied 0-0 end of first. Great first period by Japan with tons of scoring opportunities. If they keep it up it won't be long before something finds the back of the net. They do have to kill the rest of this penalty to open the second.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Penalties really cost Japan and sapped their momentum Swiss have the lead after two 2-0.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Don't worry offkilter, you're not the only one watching this. I turned it on with about 13:00 to go in the 2nd even though it's now 2 a.m. here and I have to wake up at 6.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Don't worry offkilter, you're not the only one watching this. I turned it on with about 13:00 to go in the 2nd even though it's now 2 a.m. here and I have to wake up at 6.

Good to know! I work nights so I'm up at this time anyway. :)

Great tip in goal on the one timer by Japan 3-1 with plenty of time left. If they keep driving the net they might make something happen.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Good to know! I work nights so I'm up at this time anyway. :)

Great tip in goal on the one timer by Japan 3-1 with plenty of time left. If they keep driving the net they might make something happen.

They should keep throwing pucks at the net. Schelling's rebound control isn't looking that great this period.

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
Nice to see Japan hanging in.

Almost the entire Swiss roster grew up playing in boys junior leagues that produce occasional NHL picks. And it's not like they were joke players either, some of them like Mirco's sis lit it up alongside the boys, so Japan hanging in is impressive.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Just tuned in, nice sequence on the PP.

Unfortunately, NHK's coverage just ended...one thing I really dislike about Japanese sports broadcasts is their strictness on time, and the media's general stance towards their own national teams.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
3-1 final. Japan has nothing at all to be ashamed of. They really took it to the Swiss and if they had avoided the penalties this game would have been theirs. The only weakness I see to be fixed in the future are finding ways to finish the scoring opportunities. If they keep this effort up against Korea they're going to shred them.

Reactions: albator71

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
The only thing that Japan need to improve is their finish touch around the net because for the rest skating, passing, positioning its pretty damn good. I just love their enthusiasm at playing the game.

P.S. Is it just me but i have to admit im having a lot enjoyment watching women hockey, love the passion they have for the game.

Reactions: Kyndig

Ravenclaw2099

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
Been following the Japanese team since Sochi. Was really pulling for a crazy upset win but I can't discredit their hustle. Amazing effort!

They continue to get better and better, and once they fine tune their game a bit more they will have a good shot at a Bronze medal.

Looking forward to what should be their first Olympic victory against Korea.

I'm also excited thst going forward there will be 10 teams instead of 8 for future events!

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Watch out for China and Japan in womens hockey. I have a feeling that those two country have the money and resources to become top teams in the not too distant future.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
This game really could have gone either way.

It's a pattern I've seen before with Japan in team-sports (not only hockey)
At least as skilled, mobile, crafty and quick as its western peers... but the physical disadvantage and a certain lack of killerinstincts costs them close games way too often.

That said, the Swiss didn't really play smart, once Japan pulled its goalie so early.

The experienced Schelling and Meier were clearly the best swiss players.

Stalder was a bit a disappointment. If the Swiss want another cinderella-run, they need her to play up to her talent.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Actually thought Japan was the better team, they are infinitely better than the last time they were in the Olympics. I don't see Korea beating Japan.

Hospy

Mar 18, 2013
I’m beginning to wonder if Japan is going to change their practicing and coaching, they have almost everything down hockeywise except shooting.
The shooting is awful, every time they gained the zone they were looking for deflections or tip ins and it made them extremely predictable. Literally every shot was either directly into the goalies chest or five feet wide of the net. If they work on that in four years they’ll be a dangerous team.

Their deflection goal was a beauty though.

That first Swiss goal was a real softy too.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Did Muller dominate again

Only time I really noticed her was when she scored, but other than that not really.
I’m beginning to wonder if Japan is going to change their practicing and coaching, they have almost everything down hockeywise except shooting.
The shooting is awful, every time they gained the zone they were looking for deflections or tip ins and it made them extremely predictable. Literally every shot was either directly into the goalies chest or five feet wide of the net. If they work on that in four years they’ll be a dangerous team.

Their deflection goal was a beauty though.

That first Swiss goal was a real softy too.

I completely agree. For a lot of Japan's players there is no zip on the shots they take. Most just look like they float towards the goalie for an easy save.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad