Womens hockey - Canada and Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
DontGoInThere said:
sigh...13-0 now. I want to know why the coach pulled Montanari. The backup is doing far worse.

I'd say the coach didn't want Montanari to be subjected to a horrible beating. Keep her mentally sharp in time for the next game.

Puck33

Aug 7, 2005
Lakewood
Steve L said:
Admit you were caught being stupid, youre only digging yourself deeper.

I really don't care but if you read it, it does sound like that.

Originally Posted by Crossroads
How many goals scored for and against matter in determining home ice advantage for the Gold Medal game. I'm sure you'd have a point if they never counted, though.

joe_shannon_1983*

Goooooaaaaaalllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!

Yeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15-0!!!!!!!!! Wooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crossroads*

Jon Prescription said:
Such a huge advantage.

It is. First defensive pairing against a first line scoring unit on an opposition is better than the third defensive pairing against the first line scoring unit on an opposition.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Crossroads said:
It is. First defensive pairing against a first line scoring unit on an opposition is better than the third defensive pairing against the first line scoring unit on an opposition.

It's definately not as big of an advantage as you so obviously think. It's an advantage, but not some monumental, game changing advantage.

Critter

Feb 9, 2006
19bruins19 said:
You're wrong about the Canadian team. They are skilled and would probably destroy the HFBoards all-star team.

Yes, I prefer mens hockey, but I know enough to respect the talent that women have. I'm not going to be ignorant.
Quite off topic, but come on man. Wickenheiser is probably the best woman hockey player ever. And she has played in Finland's Suomi-sarja, which is the 3rd highest level of men's hockey in Finland. And she didn't do there so well, she could maybe be a "star" in 4th highest level in Finland. I think the HFboards team would manage in 3rd level in Finland.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Kinbote said:
I do not take a tournament that has only 2 teams that can win it and everyone else the equivalent of the Washington Generals seriously. Sorry if that offends you.
So, the Canadians only tied the NHL record for goals scored, I take it you now think the NHL is a joke and will give up watching it?

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
Jon Prescription said:
It's definately not as big of an advantage as you so obviously think. It's an advantage, but not some monumental, game changing advantage.

I think road coaches that have lost games because they couldn't get their best faceoff man out to take a faceoff would disagree with you.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
sabresrat said:
I think road coaches that have lost games because they couldn't get their best faceoff man out to take a faceoff would disagree with you.

If you think it's some huge advantage that's fine. I've played hockey my whole life and have played in many, many playoff games. It's not as big as people make it out to be. I'm not saying it isn't an advantage, because that's just not true. But it really isn't some absolutely huge advantage...

Crossroads*

Jon Prescription said:

Yes it is. I have played a high level of hockey for quite a long time and line matching has a huge outcome on the game.

Defensively responsible coaches (which mostly all semi-pro and pro coaches are) will echo my sentiments.

BraveSirRobin

Ducks offseason
Feb 5, 2006
Yucaipa, CA
It's over. I have to say Italy shouldn't be too upset over this. They get alot of experience, especially playing against one of the top nations in the world. Their goalie did especially well and kept the score relatively low. Also the fans stayed in it, which had to be encouraging for the Italians.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Crossroads said:
Yes it is. I have played a high level of hockey for quite a long time and line matching has a huge outcome on the game.

Defensively responsible coaches (which mostly all semi-pro and pro coaches are) will echo my sentiments.

Whatever you think. It's really useless arguing over the internet when people obviously feel different, so I could really care less.

I just think it was kind of classless to run the score up to 16-0.

Vic Rattlehead*

Jon Prescription said:
Whatever you think. It's really useless arguing over the internet when people obviously feel different, so I could really care less.

I just think it was kind of classless to run the score up to 16-0.

You wouldn't be saying that if the Americans did that....

The backup goalie was lousy. If the original goalie was kept in, it would have been 10-0 max.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
19bruins19 said:
You wouldn't be saying that if the Americans did that....

The backup goalie was lousy. If the original goalie was kept in, it would have been 10-0 max.

Yes I would've been saying that if the Americans did it. I'm not even really rooting for anyone in the hockey because I know our team is awful. Yeah, it'd be nice to see the American women win it, but I don't really care. I'm watching it to watch hockey. Nothing more. There's no reason for you to spout off something like that since you obviously have no idea about what I think of the games and hockey at the games.

Now, with the other sports I am definately rooting for the Americans. Especially speed skating and freestyle skiing.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Hedberg said:
But they have to. It's the way the tournament is set up

They don't have to. The whole point of the Olympics is to exhibit the maximum amount of sportsmanship possible and is all about class.

Canada really adhered to that today. :rolleyes:

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Jon Prescription said:
They don't have to. The whole point of the Olympics is to exhibit the maximum amount of sportsmanship possible and is all about class.

What the Hell are you talking about? It's not as if these women are even celebrating the goals. There's a classy way to win, and Canada is doing it.

Do you suggest they play keep away in the neutral zone for half the game? It's blatantly obvious that the women began overpassing the puck instead of just shooting it. If that's not showing mercy in the game of hockey, I really don't know what is. Maybe they should start taking penalties on purpose? Or how about putting defenders in the forward positions, and vice versa? Oh I know, they should just pull the goaltender and neglect sending out an extra attacker. Christ, what do you want?

VladNYC*

I dont know what everyone is complaiing about. I watch the Sweden Russia game today. It was very entertaining, you can tell these girls played their hearts out. Sure the skill level isn't up there with the men but who cares? It's hockey. If you can't appreciate women's hockey you aren't a hockey fan, just a high light whore.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Jon Prescription said:

The Olympic organization has to find a different way to break a tie than on goals as it is now. Team Canada did have to run up the score.
Team Canada could have steamrolled them far worse than they did. They could have been a lot more physical and intimidating. They didn't and showed sportsmanship by not doing it. They also didn't whoop and leap after every goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->