GDT: Women's | Bronze Medal Game | Finland vs Russia | 2:40 AM

Who wins?

• Total voters

SiberianHockey

Feb 5, 2011
Moscow
Surprisingly Russia was on par with Finland this time.
Still I'm not very optimistic with the fact we were the youngest team at the tournament. Don't see any of them progressing to the level of US/Canada anyway. Even Finland will be hard to beat anytime soon.
We need to make women hockey image to be as enticing as figure skating to girls.. there are a lot of girls in high-profile figure skating schools in Russia, but no girl's hockey schools around. Sure it's different kind of girls (<160cm girls needed for figure skating and >170cm for hockey), but some simple changes and Russia is a superpower at women's hockey. Though don't expect these changes in current situation - some chance was before Sochi, but we missed it.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Small country with high quality players. I am always left impressed with the fins.
Pretty awesome that i believe Canada and Finland are the only countries with Hockey as their national sport lol.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Surprisingly Russia was on par with Finland this time.
Still I'm not very optimistic with the fact we were the youngest team at the tournament. Don't see any of them progressing to the level of US/Canada anyway. Even Finland will be hard to beat anytime soon.
We need to make women hockey image to be as enticing as figure skating to girls.. there are a lot of girls in high-profile figure skating schools in Russia, but no girl's hockey schools around. Sure it's different kind of girls (<160cm girls needed for figure skating and >170cm for hockey), but some simple changes and Russia is a superpower at women's hockey. Though don't expect these changes in current situation - some chance was before Sochi, but we missed it.

Russia did get better as the tournament went on but I still find it disappointing given their population. There's something like 80 million women in Russia and the best they can get is 4th? There's around 15 million more women than men in Russia, that alone is 3x the population of Finland. On the mens side they were dominant for a very long time, pretty inexcusable if you ask me even with a lot of them favoring figure skating.

Harshness aside they outperformed any expectations and I was cheering for them as they were the clear underdog. They nearly tied the game up twice but just missed the net both times.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
We all know what really is their national sport. Like Finnish official national sport is something called "Finnish baseball", what.
It's Pesäpallo. There is no sport like it, so why should we devalue it by saying it's 'Finnish baseball'?

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Our beautiful lady lions played one heck of a tournament and this medal was definitely deserved. So many great players in this team, but i have give shout out to Finland's mvp ultimate athlete Riikka Välilä. Zero mistakes in whole tournament, amazing player.

I hope she still plays for Finland in the next world championships, in home rink where team Finland plays in finals for a first time. Thid core deserves that one final game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->