Wolski and Mcgrath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I'll repost what I said in another thread.

That would be interesting to say the least. I'm not a huge Wolski fan, but you can't argue how well the guy has played this year, making the Avs and all. So what if he didn't have a great summer camp. He certainly had a good NHL camp. Why can't Sutter give him another look.

We are looking at two of the best offensive talents in the CHL being left off here. If they come to the selection camp and suck it up, fine cut them. But I have a serious problem with fully leaving these guys off. The Americans are going to have such a fantastic team (especially offensively) this year, we are going to need all the firepower we can get.

The thing that's really bugged me about the Canadian selection process for the past little while is our obsession with simply choosing "checkers" for the sake of filling the role of shutdown third line. But we choose just as many candidates for that line as we do our scoring lines. It's rediculous. Why can't we just bring the best players this country has to offer at the junior level, and let them fill in roles. Offensive stars like Alex Bourret or Ryan O Marra or Kris Chucko, the list goes on, are also capable of playing on a defensive checking line, while being able to supply just as much offense as the other lines.

In the end it's pretty trivial because either way we are going to end up with a pretty solid team. And if we win, it's because they picked the perfect team. If we lose it's because we can't score because we leave players like Wolski or Mcgrath off, or its because we don't have big name goaltender. If you lose, there can always be excuses to be made up by the media and us.

But to contradict myself a tiny bit, I still believe that if we do truly leave Wolski or Mcgrath off it will be a mistake.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Wow, that would definitely be a controversial move. Brock has pretty much summarized my feelings on it too... I'm not a big fan of either player myself, but you can't help recognizing their talent. I could have seen one of them (say McGrath) being left off the team ultimately, just because of the depth and the mix that is eventually needed. But I'd be amazed if they weren't at least in the camp. And I would have thought that Wolski (as much as I don't care for him) would have been nearly a lock to make the team.

It sounds like maybe they are trying to broaden the exposure of some of the younger players, if guys like Toews, Brassard, and Esposito really are going to be in camp, per the rumours. Instead of picking older guys to compete for spots, maybe they have pretty much decided on the lineup already, and are picking more younger guys just to give them the experience of attending the camp? :dunno:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Blind Gardien said:
Wow, that would definitely be a controversial move. Brock has pretty much summarized my feelings on it too... I'm not a big fan of either player myself, but you can't help recognizing their talent. I could have seen one of them (say McGrath) being left off the team ultimately, just because of the depth and the mix that is eventually needed. But I'd be amazed if they weren't at least in the camp. And I would have thought that Wolski (as much as I don't care for him) would have been nearly a lock to make the team.

It sounds like maybe they are trying to broaden the exposure of some of the younger players, if guys like Toews, Brassard, and Esposito really are going to be in camp, per the rumours. Instead of picking older guys to compete for spots, maybe they have pretty much decided on the lineup already, and are picking more younger guys just to give them the experience of attending the camp? :dunno:

Shhh... :sarcasm: No one needs to know what you said. We must proceed with endless debate on which players in camp will make the team. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad