WNBA's Clark close to 8-figure deal with Nike upd $28m over 8 years

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I was repeatedly assured by the biggest brains in sports business that this would never happen because Clark herself wasn't the draw, Iowa was

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Rovell is so dumb that I'm proud to be blocked by him on Twitter (X if ya nasty).

The funnier idiotic comments are people outraged over how small her salary is. Like, "if you think she deserves more money, go buy tickets to her games!" It's YOUR FAULT for not attending WNBA games!

The "bigger" news to me is that Fanatics can't deliver all the Clark Indiana jerseys until like the season's over.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
WNBA players get a bigger portion of league revenue of than NBA players

It was discussed in another thread about union power, and I said the NBA players union gets a lot more like creature comfort wins in negotiations but does a terrible job with "our slice of the pie."

There's also a lot of non-standardized "missing" revenue, where the revenue is in one pocket of the owner, but not the pocket being counted for "WNBA revenue" in message board discussions.

Best example is arena signage/sponsorships. There's $10m worth of ad sales in the arena during a WNBA game. But it's also there during NBA games, concerts or any other event in the arena. Where's that revenue counted?

A lot of "The WNBA hemorrhages cash" arguments are like saying the Apple Genius Bar hemorrhages cash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad