WJHC Medal Predictions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAl

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
Canada wins Gold.....hinging on a strong perfromance by Cam Ward in the Gold Game.....they beat the U.S.A 4-1. Russia looses a nail bighter to the Checz, who take bronze. Robbie Schremp wins the tournament MVP.....although some feel it should have been Crosby. Have fun with it...i'm just messing around.

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
Headline: Crosby Sets 1st of Many Scoring Records

Crosby sets new WJC record for most points in the tourney with 42 - beating Forsberg's previous record of 31 - as a 16 year old in his first appearance at the annual event.

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
comparing the two leagues is like comparing apples to oranges - both good and tasty... one thing is FOR SURE, Crosby is the best prospect to come along since Mario Lemeiux and that's exciting no matter where your from (Western Canada, Eastern Canada, USA & Europe) he's the NEXT ONE... as Hockey fans, we should all be licking our lips in anticipation for his first NHL shift.

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
rinkrat13 said:
comparing the two leagues is like comparing apples to oranges - both good and tasty... one thing is FOR SURE, Crosby is the best prospect to come along since Mario Lemeiux and that's exciting no matter where your from (Western Canada, Eastern Canada, USA & Europe) he's the NEXT ONE... as Hockey fans, we should all be licking our lips in anticipation for his first NHL shift.

sure this is in the wrong thread... my bad!

leafaholix*

rinkrat13 said:
Crosby sets new WJC record for most points in the tourney with 42 - beating Forsberg's previous record of 31 - as a 16 year old in his first appearance at the annual event.
:lol:

HfxMoose

Nov 17, 2003
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada wins gold beating the Russians in the final 5-3. U.S wins the bronze with a 6-5 win over the Czechs. Crosby is tourney MVP and scoring leader with 25 pts and Ovechkin finishes 2nd with 19 pts.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
As an American hockey fan, I'm sick and tired of the U.S. falling on their face in the quarters/semis. I think it's high time we not only medal, but win it all. Here are my predictions:

Gold: U.S.

Silver: Russia

Bronze: Canada

I think the U.S. will field it's deepest, most experienced team ever, and will finally win it all. I look for Patrick O'Sullivan to be top scorer, and tourney MVP, with Jimmy Howard a stalwart in net.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Rabid Ranger said:
As an American hockey fan, I'm sick and tired of the U.S. falling on their face in the quarters/semis. I think it's high time we not only medal, but win it all. Here are my predictions:

Gold: U.S.

Silver: Russia

Bronze: Canada

I think the U.S. will field it's deepest, most experienced team ever, and will finally win it all. I look for Patrick O'Sullivan to be top scorer, and tourney MVP, with Jimmy Howard a stalwart in net.

The Key to the US is going to definitely be goaltending. Their is no doubt that they will have a very strong offense and a solid defense, but to me the goaltending is still somewhat suspect at the moment. Howard was very unimpressive at last years event and lost his starters job to Bobby Goephert. But he is a solid prospect and a good goaltender, so hopefully for them he can pull together a strong performance, as the US has its best chance ever at gold IMO.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Brock said:
The Key to the US is going to definitely be goaltending. Their is no doubt that they will have a very strong offense and a solid defense, but to me the goaltending is still somewhat suspect at the moment. Howard was very unimpressive at last years event and lost his starters job to Bobby Goephert. But he is a solid prospect and a good goaltender, so hopefully for them he can pull together a strong performance, as the US has its best chance ever at gold IMO.

You're right, Howard didn't fare well last year, but he's had another year to grow, and he is playing very well right now. He'll be ready. If he isn't, Al Montoya isn't a bad second option.

nazzy

Mar 6, 2002
BC
www.gocanucks.net
Honestly, I see the Russians winning the tourney again.. I don't feel Canada's team is strong enough to win it.

Gold: Russia
Silver: Canada
Bronze: USA

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Gold: Team Canada. Josh Harding wins MVP and top goaltender, saving Canada in some games. Top scorer is Sidney Crosby, 1st overall in tournament. Cory Perry is other notable scorer at 3rd overall. Best d-man is Dion Phaneuf, leading all Canadian defenders in points, 2nd overall in the tournament, and leading all d-men in hits.

Team MVP: Josh Harding

Silver: USA. Another border-battle for a medal with Canada on top. Howard plays great but comes up short of Harding's performance. Top scorer, 2nd overall, is Patrick O'Sullivan. Next notable at 5th overall is Zach Parise. Ryan Suter leads all d-men in points, and is up there in hits.

Team MVP: Patrick O'Sullivan

Bronze: Russia. Alexander Ovechkin starts slow, but comes back and is 4th overall in points. Not familiar on the other Russians though(other than Zherdev, who might not be there), so use your imagination for best player and goaltender.

Team MVP: Alexander Ovechkin

KariyaIsGod*

I like it like this.

Gold: Canada- They have the best defensive unit in the tournament. They will have top flight goaltending and a premier scoring threat.

Silver: Russia - How can you argue with a team that has Ovechkin.

Bronze: USA - Excellent squad. Goaltending may be an issue.

leafaholix*

--------------------------
GOLD: Canada
SILVER: Russia
Bronze: U.S.A.
--------------------------
-
Canada
Top scorer: Sidney Crosby
Top defenseman: Dion Phaneuf
Team M.V.P.: Dion Phaneuf
-
Russia
Top scorer: Alexander Ovechkin
Top defenseman: Konstantin Korneev
Team M.V.P.: Konstantin Barulin
-
U.S.A.
Top scorer: Zach Parise
Top defenseman: Ryan Suter
Team M.V.P.: Zach Parise
-​
TOURNAMENT ALL-STARS
-
1st Team:
F: Zach Parise (U.S.A.)
F: Alexander Ovechkin (Russia)
F: Sidney Crosby (Canada)
D: Dion Phaneuf (Canada)
D: Ryan Suter (U.S.A.)
G: Konstantin Barulin (Russia)
-
2nd Team:
F: Patrick Bartschi (Switzerland)
F: Alexander Steen (Sweden)
F: Tomas Fleischmann (Czech-Republic)
D: Tobias Enstrom (Sweden)
D: Shawn Belle (Canada)
G: Josh Harding (Canada)
-
I know most will be wrong, but it's just for fun.

Dr_Chimera*

Why is Canada so criticized for their roster?

I think this roster is awesome - lots of size, lots of skill. This will be a very good team - IMO the only real concern is in net, but even without Fleury Harding should be solid.

The defense will be excellent - big, physical, no-nonsense guys.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I think the tournament MVP will be either Zach Parise or Alexander Ovechkin. I secretly hope of Kovalchuk-like domination from AO (something sick like 11 goals and 7 assists in 6 games ;) )

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
canucksfan said:
Any one of Russia, Canada and USA could win the gold.

Gold USA

Silver Russia

Bronze Canada

MVP O'Sullivan

I must admit it is a very exciting three horse race with not much to choose between the three teams.

But of the three, and cheering loudly, I predict that Canada won't win gold. I look at the Canadian roster and wonder about the offense. I see we have some size...but are we going to sacrifice some skill.(And of course the issue of Staal, Horton, Fleury, Nash, Bouwmeester, PM Bouchard, Patrice Bergeron, means Canada always starts with a bit of a deficiency.)

I like the Yanks...and I also like the Russians....so, I would put them at 1 and 1A, but Canada, I see bronze.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This years WJHC champion will be....

Canada.

Everyone is under-rating Canada's goaltenders this year. Josh Harding will be the man; with a good back up in Cam Ward.

This is probably the most depth at defense I can remember; excellent size, strength, agility and hockey sense right through all the selections...Egener, Phaneuf, Coburn, Gorges, Seabrook, Meech, Swanson & Belle. If Ian White recovers in time, he adds offense in the bank.

The forward group, outside of Crosby's promised flash, will have to be a disciplined lot, but, don't they always have to be?

Very close 2nd...USA.

I think Russia may not even finish in the medals, therefore I will leave 3rd open amongst these three: Czech Republic, Finland & Russia.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
I never worry about our goaltending, it's always solid and looks to be again this year. Our defense looks to be the best in the tourny, big, strong, fast, skilled, we have it all especially if White gets healthy in time.

I think our forwards are underrated, I really like Carter, Stewart, Crosby, and a few others. Someone will step up, and at the very least we are deep and can score by commitee.

Gold: Canada
Silver: Russia (Oveckin will dominate)
Bronze: Finland

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
rinkrat13 said:

Crosby hasn't even made the friggin' team yet!!

I'm sure the kid will make Team Canada, but people saying he is going to lead the tourney in points, etc. is a little bit ridiculous. I don't doubt he will have some good moments in the tourney, but no one at 16 has ever dominated the tourney since Canada started the Progream of Excellence in 1982.

I wish Team Canada and Crosby well, but a GOLD medal may not be in the books this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->