WJCs in Canada in 2009 and 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
I don't think that is right. I guess they have the fan interest and stable government environment. It will not matter with the Home Ice advantage, team USA will still smack them around!!!.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Hedberg16 said:
I think Quebec City will get to host one of them and Ottawa will host the other.

Ottawa's a lock, but I don't know about Quebec City. The Colisee isn't getting any newer, and I'm not sure Hockey Canada would want the two hosts to be that close together, especially if you make the assumption that a Midwestern/Northeastern US city will get to host sometime in there, too. I'd bet on either a prairie city in 2012, or if they can put together a decent bid, St. John's.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
At the bid for the 06 World Juniors, didn't the media say that the most impressive bids were from Vancouver and Quebec?

Jovo Cop

I think the USA will be favoured in Vancouver .Canada will be hurting talent wise .

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'd like to see them hit my neck of the woods. Maybe like lower Michigan or upstate NY.

There's a gap in the US fan support between the Northeast and the upper Midwest.

Jovo Cop

Most of last years Team USA will be back and most importantly Phil Kessel will be playing .Canada has like Crosby and Barker as the only two guys elidgable to be back and they wont be .Canada will have a "rookie" team and will pay the price .

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Russia and Finland should both have pretty strong returning teams, although Russia's will be hurt quite a bit if Malkin is playing for Pittsburgh.

Sammy*

Jovo Cop said:
Most of last years Team USA will be back and most importantly Phil Kessel will be playing .Canada has like Crosby and Barker as the only two guys elidgable to be back and they wont be .Canada will have a "rookie" team and will pay the price .
Kinda like the "price" Team Canada paid with the '04 team when they had a grand total of 2 returnees (Paille & Fleury) & came in 2nd?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
HabLover said:
can you back up your comment?

maybe not by talent, but a great bit of the team will be inexperienced. Crosby might have to do it by himself, which he might be able to do in the Q, but not on a level like the WJC's. Give Canada and extra year, and who knows, Crosby might be playing in the NHL anyways. I know Canadians want gold every time out, who doesn't? But I think next year might be a down year for Canada.

As for the hosts, I would think Ottawa or Toronto would host the 2009 tourney (probably Ottawa), and by 2012, who knows there could be new buildings popping up.

Who hosts it next year?

littleD

DarthSather99 said:
I don't think that is right. I guess they have the fan interest and stable government environment. It will not matter with the Home Ice advantage, team USA will still smack them around!!!.

Right or not, Canada's been getting it every 4 years basically, so giving it every three years shouldn't really matter much.

FlyersFan10*

DarthSather99 said:

If you take a look at every year Canada has hosted the World Junior tournament, they have set all kinds of attendance records. That speaks in volumes. Compared to other places, the world junior tournament has been lucky to break even and in some cases, they've posted losses with regards to revenue.

It's almost a religion here in Canada. Every Christmas time when the junior tournament is on, the ratings are comparable with that of some of the American television shows that are broadcast up here. As well, when you get down to it, it's probably the best hockey outside of the Olympics one can watch.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
go kim johnsson said:
maybe not by talent, but a great bit of the team will be inexperienced. Crosby might have to do it by himself, which he might be able to do in the Q, but not on a level like the WJC's. Give Canada and extra year, and who knows, Crosby might be playing in the NHL anyways. I know Canadians want gold every time out, who doesn't? But I think next year might be a down year for Canada.

As for the hosts, I would think Ottawa or Toronto would host the 2009 tourney (probably Ottawa), and by 2012, who knows there could be new buildings popping up.

Who hosts it next year?

Whats London's chances of getting one of the tourneys? I thought they had a very strong bid for 2006?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:

Who hosts it next year?

The experience card is overated, take a look at this past year's USA squad. Every year it's someone different that fails.

With the tournament in Vancouver next year, Team Canada will not have to deal with a different country, travel, international size ice and so on. It will be in their own backyard and most of the players will have played in big games prior or vs international competition in the past, whether it's U17's, U18's or the WJC's. If Crosby plays for Canada next year in Vancouver they are an instant gold medal threat, without him they are still one of the favs. I won't sit here and tell you they will win, but they will have some serious talent.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Smart move by the IIHF. The WJCs get more support in Canada than any other international hockey tournament in any other country. All games in Vancouver (two 16,000-plus seat arenas) are sold out. Kamloops and Kelowna aren't far behind. It's not uncommon to see the host team's games sold out, but games between Belarus and Switzerland usually draw flies.

Hopefully other countries around the world will start to realize that this is the most exciting international tournament in hockey, and start to support it more. That way, Canada can go back to hosting it every four or five years. But at this time, in terms of drawing the public, it's the best move.

I think Ottawa's a lock to host one of them in 2009 or 2012. That would likely eliminate any other Ontario city. Quebec City likely won't get it, because they have the Worlds in 2008. St. John's might be a candidate, along with Calgary (never hosted it on its own before) or Saskatoon, which did a great job in 1991. (Although the WJC may have outgrown that city's arena).

As for this year: Canada's crop of 1987s is almost as good as its 1985s, which tore this year's WJCs apart. Not as many good 1986s, but there are a few goodies, like Pouliot, Barker, Bolland and Chipchura. If the NHL lockout isn't settled, Canada will get to use all of their 1987s, and they'll dominate. If the NHL is back, Crosby will be gone, but Canada will still have guys like Price, Brule (a future franchise forward), Staal, Bourret and Latendresse, among others.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HabLover said:
can you back up your comment?

I won't sit here and say the U.S. is the favorite, but we will ice a pretty nice team. Some projections (at least who I would pick):

Goaltenders:

Cory Schneider
Jeff Frazee

Defense:

Matt Lashoff
Jack Johnson
Mike Brennan
Mike Sauer
Nate Hagemo
A.J. Thelen
Bob Sanguinetti

Forwards:

Chris Bourque
Rob Schremp
Tom Fritsche
Bobby Ryan
Phil Kessel
Peter Mueller
Jordan LaVallee
Adam Pineault
Brandon Dubinsky
Jack Skille
Kevin Porter
Chad Kolarik

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
As much as I hate the idea of one country getting so much, it really does make sense. Canada seems like the one country that truly appreciates the tourney. I agree with the other poster who says its the best tourney in hockey. These guys have more talent then the frozen four, but give everything for their countries. Olympics with NHL talent don't seem to have the same work and overall great tournament. From the hockey I'm able to see in the US, only the NHL playoffs can be better.

The Commish

Dec 11, 2004
I could see Toronto getting one of the tournaments. I would like to see London (rather than T.O.) get one but with Vancouver getting the 06 tourney I think we have seen the shift to only big cities hosting it. Maybe a Toronto and Oshawa bid, since MLSE will be running the new building in Oshawa plus they will have control of the ACC and Ricoh.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Epsilon said:
Russia and Finland should both have pretty strong returning teams, although Russia's will be hurt quite a bit if Malkin is playing for Pittsburgh.

I really can't see how you can say that the Finnish team is going to be strong next year.. We have sucked in all junior classes for a few years now, I think they won't get that much better when changing age classes..

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
With the extra money made by having so many of the tourney's in Canada I'd hope atleast part of that money would be diverted to help build more ice rinks in countries where hockey is only in its infancy.

While it is good that Canada will be hosting these games, I hope one day such a thing will not be needed.. because I much rather see Ice Hockey as a truly international sport and not just confined in intense popularity in one country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad