WJC Studs/Disappointments

Checker*

Erik Johnson

8 pts in 6 games from a defender including some clutch goals and assists. His tournament started a bit shaky and he got some criticisms both deserved and undeserved, but I think it's safe to say that he showed that he is a stud on the blueline.

Killer

May 16, 2006
Karlstad
Studs:

Linus Omark (SWE)

Martin Johansson (SWE)

Semen Varlamov (RUS)

Alexei Cherepanov (RUS)

Gerbe (USA)

Carey Price (CAN)

Niklas Hjalmarsson (SWE)

Disappointments:

Niklas Bäckström (SWE)

Niklas Bergfors (SWE)

___

millerboy*

Use this thread to discuss which players are pleasant surprises or big disappointments at the WJC. This will help fans such as myself to track the progress of the players, even though we can't watch the games.

The players can be from any country, drafted, or undrafted.

So, who's made some strides after day 1? :dunno:

i am a bruins fan and i was really excited when marchand made team canada but i dont think hes done anything this tournament. i expected him to tear it up especially with cogs and downie but he hasnt really done anything

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Other than Okposo being one of Pierre's "special boys" in the first game, he has been absolutely invisible. Today vs Slovakia, with lots of open ice, he did nothing. And I was lead to believe he was the second coming of Christ by some US posters here. What gives?

He's spends nearly as much time on the ice as a Zamboni. Gets knocked down way too much for me. Reminds me of the second coming of Robbie Earl who knew how to dive with the best of them. This skill won't be appreciated in the NHL.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
For Canada upfront I've been impressed with Toews, Helm, and Downie. Toews just oozes hockey sense and is a monster down low. Helm really has some wheels and a nose for the net. I have been unimpressed with Cogs and Marchand. Cogs atleast looks dangerous out there sometimes, Marchand though just seems to do nothing with the puck but turn it over. I really want to see Little get a chance on the top line with Downie and Cogs.

On defence Parent and Stall are really impressive with their poise. Letang and Russel look really dangerous out there. Would like to see more of Franson and Alzner, they have looked good in their limited icetime.

Small Brain Presence

The absolute dud of the tournament has been Okposo. One assist in six games with the ice time he's getting is a joke. The Gopher fans that have been on these boards saying how much better Okposo is than Kessel have got to be kidding.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
For Canada upfront I've been impressed with Toews, Helm, and Downie. Toews just oozes hockey sense and is a monster down low. Helm really has some wheels and a nose for the net. I have been unimpressed with Cogs and Marchand. Cogs atleast looks dangerous out there sometimes, Marchand though just seems to do nothing with the puck but turn it over. I really want to see Little get a chance on the top line with Downie and Cogs.

On defence Parent and Stall are really impressive with their poise. Letang and Russel look really dangerous out there. Would like to see more of Franson and Alzner, they have looked good in their limited icetime.

Pierre wants his clichés back! ;) I do agree though, Toews has been very impressive, and Chicago better get excited about him.

The killer B's for Sweden were a bit of disappointement, but I don't think it means much in the long run, they still showed some top end skill it just didn't translate onto the scoreboard. It's nothing to get worried about imo, but it is a bit disappointing that they didn't domiate.

What's interesting about this tournament is no one really stepped up and delivered a monster performance. There were some players who did very well and others who didn't live up to expectation, but overall there weren't any huge studs and duds. Although I do think Toews really stepped up as a leader for Team Canada and played really well, but being drafted no.3 overall and a returning player, I think most people expected him to play very well.

To me the more suprising stuff came from a team perspective. The US struggling early on, Germany doing well, that kind of stuff.

In terms of draft eligible prospects I think Kane was pretty impressive for the US and on the other hand Gagner wasen't that impressive for Canada, but it's not as though he was a complete bust. And while I think Kane looked really good, I don't think he blew anyone away. He's still an impressive player though.

Finally, as a Hab fan I've been pleased with Price's play. There were some questions at the beginning of the tournament about him, but he's arguably been the best goalie of the tournament and showed why he's a special player. (To steal from Pierre again. ;) )

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
As a Yotes fan starved for good news I was very happy with Mueller's 3 goals and 3 assists and overall involvement in the play.

But then going only 2/3 in the shootout and "THE WINK" changed all of that. Definite disappointment.

Prolific18

Jan 1, 2007
Studs

Makarov
Bugamin
Price
Kane
Osala
Toews

Disappointments

bergfors
cogliano

Imo Backstrom was unlucky, didnt catch any breaks :teach:

espo*

Pierre wants his clichés back! ;) I do agree though, Toews has been very impressive, and Chicago better get excited about him.

The killer B's for Sweden were a bit of disappointement, but I don't think it means much in the long run, they still showed some top end skill it just didn't translate onto the scoreboard. It's nothing to get worried about imo, but it is a bit disappointing that they didn't domiate.

What's interesting about this tournament is no one really stepped up and delivered a monster performance. There were some players who did very well and others who didn't live up to expectation, but overall there weren't any huge studs and duds. Although I do think Toews really stepped up as a leader for Team Canada and played really well, but being drafted no.3 overall and a returning player, I think most people expected him to play very well.

To me the more suprising stuff came from a team perspective. The US struggling early on, Germany doing well, that kind of stuff.

In terms of draft eligible prospects I think Kane was pretty impressive for the US and on the other hand Gagner wasen't that impressive for Canada, but it's not as though he was a complete bust. And while I think Kane looked really good, I don't think he blew anyone away. He's still an impressive player though.

Finally, as a Hab fan I've been pleased with Price's play. There were some questions at the beginning of the tournament about him, but he's arguably been the best goalie of the tournament and showed why he's a special player. (To steal from Pierre again. ;) )

Agree with all.

tominhawaii

Nov 20, 2006
He's spends nearly as much time on the ice as a Zamboni. Gets knocked down way too much for me. Reminds me of the second coming of Robbie Earl who knew how to dive with the best of them. This skill won't be appreciated in the NHL.

I have to believe that Okposo is playing with some kind of injury. Because his style of play with the Gophers previous to this tournament was the complete opposite of "Robbie Earl." The single most noticeable attribute that he has displayed in the NCAA this year is how strong he is on his skates and how hard he is to knock down and knock off the puck. In fact he looked like probably the strongest player on the entire Gopher team, which is saying something considering the number of draft picks on the team (14). So if you're implying that Okposo is just another Robbie Earl, you're quite mistaken and I'm sure that will be proven in the NHL.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Disappointment

tukka rask

was close to if not the worst goalie in the tournament

...and of course you saw many games from Team Finland to be able to state this? There must have been softies that I have missed although seeing almost every game from them.

Rask was good enough to give Finland a chance to win the games, if only there would have at least a little more discipline among the players to avoid stupid penalties. No goalie would have done any better against that much of opponents 5-3 PP in almost every game.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Ignore the disgruntled Leafs fans. They´ve had 30 years of bad management and if you gave any of them the option they would reverse the Rask-Rayzor trade in an instant.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I don't think Downie played all that great. In the offensive zone, he made some poor choices.

Downie looks to me like one of those guys who very quickly turns into a journeyman/pest/checker. His future is Matt Cooke, Sean Avery, maybe a Mike Ricci. The only question is when his first 5+ game suspension comes. :)

Actually I´m pretty disappointed with Martin Hanzal. The guy is leading the WHL in scoring and so far hasn´t showed that potential (only 1 goal in 5 games).

Big ice hurts north americans. ;)

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT: The overall level of referees

That Canadian teenager in Finland-USA game was one of the worst referees I've seen in WJCs.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT: The overall level of referees

That Canadian teenager in Finland-USA game was one of the worst referees I've seen in WJCs.

The overall level of the referees was bad but not nearly as bad as last year.

I will never forget the officiating of Marcus Vinnerborg in the FIN-USA game. :madfire:

The highlight of that game was when Jari Sailio had a short-handed breakaway and was blatantly hooked and falls down. Vinnerborg then decides to give Sailio a 2-minute minor for holding the stick! :madfire:

Last year was overall by far the worst officiating I have ever witnessed.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
I will never forget the officiating of Marcus Vinnerborg in the FIN-USA game. :madfire:

A definition for a truly bad referee is "Marcus Vinnerborg".

However, I can't understand where they always find referees that are so far away from the level of the game for the WJC. It is frustrating that every year many good games are spoiled by low-quality referees from junior or beer leagues.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->