WJC Studs/Disappointments

St.Louis sports fan

Mar 1, 2002
St. Louis
Visit site
Canada's experienced d-men have been impressive. They keep the play to the outside on the big ice very well. EJ was awesome minus the stick throw. Toews has been impressive. I liked what I saw from Okposo, Kane, Sweatt, and Skille's speed, but JJ and Brian Lee have been horrendous. Lee hasn't played alot in his defense, but he's got 2 years of WJC experience and he still looks like he's scared. All Downie needs is the Indian headdress and he could be that guy in the movie Slap Shot with his head high stick rake across Chorney. That isn't going to last very long in the NHL providing he doesn't blow up first.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Studs
Igor Makarov
Teemu Laakso
Jonathan Towes
Marc Staal
Reto Berra (he was outstanding in both games regardless of the 6 goals in game 2)
Oskar Osala

Duds
JJ
Joenssu
Cogliano

this is only after 2 games thou. Could easily change

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Sweatt and Omark have looked pretty good.

Like someone else said, the forwards in general havn't been very impressive compared to the defensemen.

I didn't pay any attention to him until he layed out O'Marra, but Hjalmarssen impressed me after I started focusing on him.

Danglefish

Oct 26, 2006
Studs:
Fredrik Pettersen, I'm not sure if he's put up points, but in the game and a half I've seen of him he has been one of Sweden's most electric players, causing scoring chances and using his speed very well.

Duds:
Sam Gagner, I know the kid is only 17 years old but come on, 3 lazy penalties in the first game and then showed nothing to take note of in the second besides one nice dangle on a US defenceman. The kid should not be sent out on the first pp unit anymore, and I think Mcardel should be given a shot instead of him at ES.

*Andrew Cogliano, I think the kid was one of Canada's top players in the first game, had one shift where he was all over, intercepted 2 passes, set up 2 scoring opportunities for his linemates and picked up a loose puck in the high slot of our own end. That said, his second game did not look so good. He had a few decent shifts but I think he just couldn't really get his feet moving to be effective.

itzabreeze

Jul 12, 2006
at the games in sweden...

surprises-

Simek- best swiss by a mile

lehtonen- best finn on onfense by a little smaller margin

laasko- hits surprisingly hard...very good

voracek- its always a surprise to witness this level of talent...

varlamov- could be a great...

I'm curious to find out what people think his potential is, and how far away to the nhl is he?.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
laakso- hits surprisingly hard...very good

Not that surprising to me, even though for some reason he doesn't hit like that in the SM-liiga, but I've seen him do it plenty in juniors.

Laakso has been really good, though, even with the SH goal (that wasn't totally his fault, as it seemed to me that Seppänen had a chance to take the puck but was too slow after Laakso's shot hit a Belarussian).

Laakso's weakness seems to be the penalties, but the 2+10 penalty was the weakest penalty given in this tournament so far (well, I've only seen the Finnish games, can-usa, cze-rus and swe-svk) and the tripping penalty he got yesterday was pretty weak as well...

He's definitely been a stud, and much more impressive than many of these highly hyped d-men (Johnsons and Kindl for example)

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
What game did you watch? Canada shut the guy totally down that game.

He got next to nothing done that particular game.

Right. He had one coast-to-coast raid, and ended it with a weak shot, exept that, nothing.

Kid will hopefully get going, we will need it. The point he got in yesterdays game will hopefully help him get going.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Studs:
Fredrik Pettersen, I'm not sure if he's put up points, but in the game and a half I've seen of him he has been one of Sweden's most electric players, causing scoring chances and using his speed very well.

We have definitely not seen the same games. Pettersson has been very mediocre. In fact, his play was so poor in the last game that he was benched.

Pettersson needs to step it up together with Bergfors (and Bäckström as well, I guess).

espo*

Right. He had one coast-to-coast raid, and ended it with a weak shot, exept that, nothing.

Kid will hopefully get going, we will need it. The point he got in yesterdays game will hopefully help him get going.

he's got the talent to do it,i don't question that at all.If Sweden wants to win it all he has to be the difference maker that he can be.

stay tuned.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Russia through three game and in order:
(see game threads for my reasoning)

Studs:
1. Makarov
2. Varlamov
3. Buravchikov
4. Cherepanov
5. Zubarev

Disappointments:
1. Vasyunov
2. Alexandrov
3. Kiryukhin
4. Ryasensky
5. Bumagin

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Studs:
Finland's first line Osala - Lindgren - Lehtonen

Disappointments Joensuu (split him and Komarov and you might see him scoring more)

A Good Flying Bird*

When all is said and done, I think Hjalmarsson and Pettersson are two Swedes who are going to be steals at their respective draft choices.
Hjalmarsson looks like a Nik Kronwall clone.
Pettersson looks like a small speedy dymnamo with all kinds of speed, skill and heart.

And I can't believe Nyholm isn't on Team Finland.
Are they punishing kids who've jumped to the CHL?

lilooet*

Other than Okposo being one of Pierre's "special boys" in the first game, he has been absolutely invisible. Today vs Slovakia, with lots of open ice, he did nothing. And I was lead to believe he was the second coming of Christ by some US posters here. What gives?

weezman

Kane has been the stud of the tournament.

No question.

I actually didn't care for his game all that much. Granted I am only commenting on what I've seen (some of US germany,most of US-Canada,none of US-Slovakia) but he looks to be all skill and flash. Couldn't count how many times they were stretch passing to him on the far blue line. Gotta question his game.

Team USA has been a disappointment (shocking:sarcasm:) , and to be honest that's really all I was paying attention to.
For US-
Skille looked really good out there. Stud.
I also liked the play of Carman + the 4th line. Stud.⅔

Team canada looks real good again this year. Stud.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
Hjalmarsson looks like a Nik Kronwall clone.

2006 seems to have been a good draft year for Chicago looking at the play of their picks in the WJC. I am still suprised that Juutilainen got cut because as i understand he was the captain of the finnish U-18 team. Can anybody fill me as to why he was cut?

EDIT : D'oh Hjalmarsson was a 2005 selection. Oh well Toews and Makarov are doing well.

Last edited:

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I am still suprised that Juutilainen got cut because as i understand he was the captain of the finnish U-18 team. Can anybody fill me as to why he was cut?

Poor season, playing in NA, he's an 88, Tolvanen is an idiot. Those are the reasons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->