WJC Studs/Disappointments

turnbuckle*

Three days into the tournament - might it be a bit early perhaps?

Sethis

May 9, 2004
I'm going to echo the love that Omark is getting here, he's definitely the biggest surprise for me this tournament. I didn't know who he was when the game started, but I think he out-permormed the 'Killer B's' (Backstrom, Berglund, Bergfors) in the Sweden-Canada game and was creating lots of offense.

Jonathan Toews is another guy who's really impressed me, I didn't really like him last year and was curious why he got such a big role this time around but he's shut me up. Really, really smart player who never seems to make the wrong play and can be very crafty on both sides of the puck. He see's the play developing quicker then most people on the ice, and reacts in advance.

Most the people on Canada have been playing as I expected - Staal is an other-worldy force in his own end, Cogliano is a smart and crafty player who has Hemskyitis (needs to shoot the frekin' puck), Downie is an amazing talent with zero discipline (but I like him), and I didn't quite know what was coming from Price but he's shown that he's the great goalie everyone was saying he was.

On the other end - Jack Johnson has actually been terrible, and I'm rather upset because he looked great last year and I was looking forward to seeing him dominate this tournament. Just making stupid, stupid plays. Erik Johnson got burned on the Toews penalty shot goal and the Helm goal, but has actually played really well. I was hoping for Chorney and Lee to stand out a bit more too, they haven't done much to sway my opinion on them one way or the other.

Fransson has actually disappointed me too, he's made enough good plays to mask it but he F's up alot by not flubbing the simple plays as well as a top D-man should. He's picking up momentum like a steam engine though, and seems to be getting better each period. Marchand has left me unimpressed too, he shouldn't be on our top line next game.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Nope that was Erik Johnson.

Details details.

That was the other mistake EriK Johnson made.

I mean sure, Helm is FAST, but he only weighs about a buck 70. Johnson should have been able to muscle him off the puck. But, that being said, I give all the kudos to Helm for wanting that goal more than Johnson wanted to stop it.

fatsunny

Jan 22, 2005
Wasn't Eric Johnson the player that Darren Helm blew by for his first goal?

That was an unusual play in that Mueller passed to EJ across the ice and the puck bounced over EJ's stick and bounced off the boards to the nuetral zone. EJ had to go from flat footed, turn and get to full speed quick and Helm had a jump on him. Only Scott Niedemeyer could have stoped Helm on that play. EJ "rarely" ever gets beat in a foot race. He is unreal.

Helm did not want the puck more than EJ. It was a bad bounce for EJ, just like Carmans goal off Sweatts shot that bounced off the wall and right on Carmans stick. These things happen in a game and sometimes it goes against you and sometimes for you. EJ's effort is top notch.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I expected much more from Trevor Lewis on Team USA, as well as JMFJ. But, I thought Pat Kane and Okposo looked great.

I'm also impressed with the entire Belarussian team. How many of these guys were on Team Belarus when they beat the US 5-3 in 2005? Does anyone know?

xalcyx

#murderskate
Mar 8, 2006
Florida
Three days into the tournament - might it be a bit early perhaps?

When I originally started the thread I was using it as kind of a running commentary kind of thing, to make it easier to follow the players for those who can't watch, and don't have the time to sift through every GDT. Is there a big problem? :dunno:

I like Okposo's game. He's got the type of game that will make him a fan favourite on the Island.....

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Valentenko, Mikus, Kostitsyn and Price are the best players in the tournament because they are Montreal picks. ;)

turnbuckle*

When I originally started the thread I was using it as kind of a running commentary kind of thing, to make it easier to follow the players for those who can't watch, and don't have the time to sift through every GDT. Is there a big problem? :dunno:

I like Okposo's game. He's got the type of game that will make him a fan favourite on the Island.....

Yeah - there is a problem, since you asked. To start a "boom or bust" topic two days into the tournament is silly whether it's running commentary or not. Wait until the bloody thing is over before making such judgements. Actually; since it's only a few games and mostly irrelevant, I wouldn't make such a thread at all.

All it's doing is making people look silly making rash comments on the Johnsons and such after a couple of mistakes in one solitary, pitiful little regulation round tournament game on an ice surface most of them haven't played on all season.

But this is the home of the ovehype and underhype...so I suppose someone would have done it sooner or later...always fun to take a look back in a couple of years at all the rash statements following a couple of televised WJC games.

xalcyx

#murderskate
Mar 8, 2006
Florida
Yeah - there is a problem, since you asked. To start a "boom or bust" topic two days into the tournament is silly whether it's running commentary or not. Wait until the bloody thing is over before making such judgements. Actually; since it's only a few games and mostly irrelevant, I wouldn't make such a thread at all.

Then call it something else. Either way, I don't see a problem with a thread to share thoughts on players. Not all of us get to watch the games, and it's interesting to get different takes on how our prospects are doing.
All it's doing is making people look silly making rash comments on the Johnsons and such after a couple of mistakes in one solitary, pitiful little regulation round tournament game on an ice surface most of them haven't played on all season.
So say something to that effect, rather than getting on your little wooden horse and trying to tell everyone why they can't have these discussions
But this is the home of the ovehype and underhype...so I suppose someone would have done it sooner or later...always fun to take a look back in a couple of years at all the rash statements following a couple of televised WJC games.
If people exaggerate, you have two options the way I see it. You can either explain to them why they are exaggerating and defend the player, or just stay away from the thread entirely, since you seem to have such a big issue with overhype and underhype.

Randall Graves*

Wasn't Eric Johnson the player that Darren Helm blew by for his first goal?
I'm not sure how much you can blame EJ, Mueller made a terrible pass, and EJ's partner may have pinched. stick throwing aside I don't think EJ played bad at all.

Randall Graves*

All people are doing are commenting on how they've played to date, that doesn't necessarily mean people are calling them busts.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
After Sweden's two first games, Omark has certainly made an impression. He was the best player on the ice today. The guy isn't even drafted yet, probably because of his size.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
From Team Finland

Studs: Osala, Lindgren, Lehtonen, Laakso, Komarov, Sandell

Disappointments: Joensuu - a big time

Knighttown

Jun 4, 2005
In general, I compare the players to their draft position (or where they are porjected to go). In the two games I saw, I see top 5 skills in Kyle Okposo, Marc Staal, Ryan Parent and Pat Kane as a potential top 5 pick if that's not where he's pegged to go. Toews and Price have played to their top 5 potential as has Eric and Jack Johnson...mistakes but clearly on a different skill level plane.

On the other side of the coin, I don't see the top 10 value in Luc Bourdon, Jack Skille and Sam Gagner (07).

Dark horses; Billy Sweatt looked like a top 15 pick, Franzen as late as Nashville got him is a steal.

SanJoseCanadiens

Aug 16, 2006
at the games in sweden...

surprises-

Simek- best swiss by a mile

lehtonen- best finn on onfense by a little smaller margin

laasko- hits surprisingly hard...very good

voracek- its always a surprise to witness this level of talent...

varlamov- could be a great...

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Impressed by
Okposo (dominant vs. Germany)
Kane (showed much more than Gagner)
Erik Johnson (just very solid)
Darren Helm (fast!)
Carey Price

Dissapointed by
Sam Gagner (can't adjust to the higher level of play)
Brian Lee (as a Sens fan want to see more)
Jack Johnson (tried to do too much vs. Canada, obviously he's a great prospect though)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad