WJC Studs/Disappointments

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Jack Johnson has really disappointed me so far, I expected him to be the best defenceman in the tournament but he's shown some very questionable hockey sense so far (that pinch in the first period against Canada was pretty terrible). Granted some of the penalties he's taken wouldn't be called in the NHL but he needs to show some better judgement.

Billy Sweatt from the Americans is a guy who has really surprised me, he's always moving his legs out on the ice and making things happen. I'm not sure if he has much in the way of scoring potential but he looks like a very solid player overall.

Maybe Carolina´s scouts saw the same thing and decided to deal him while his value was still high.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Maybe Carolina´s scouts saw the same thing and decided to deal him while his value was still high.
I'm pretty sure Johnson will be fine, his game is perfectly suited for the NHL where those hard hits likely won't be called penalties. I think he's just trying to do too much right now, he needs to use his teammates more and let the game come to him.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It may have to do with draft rank and expectations, but I'm totally not impressed by Toews as of yet, including pre-tournament games.

I still can't believe they didn't think a guy like Giroux would not have helped them offensively.

Surprises for me, are the German opposition (ie the goalie) (though it could change really quickly see Belarus....), Cogliano (just a fan of his game), Price (cause he still has to battle some inconsistency problems, usually giving a softie a game which he didn't.)

But offensively we're definately not that great, defense is the key for us, hoping Price could a great consistent tournament.

So......like I was saying....we suck offensively and Toews is disappointing....:sarcasm:

Maybe we should wait a bit next time....

RhyZa

Jul 3, 2006
At this point, the dispointing players are the 2 johnsons, its still early though.

Very disappointing game for the both of them, especially in the hockey sense department. Throwing the stick? What is this, amateur hour? Well I guess, in a way it was.

I'm sure for Erik it's a one off, for Jack I'm not so sure. Sure he can throw the body, but even the best of them have to pick their spots and show some semblance of sense out there.

Last edited:

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
For the U.S.--I was impressed with Sweatt. Also, you can see the potential in Okposo.

The Johnson's had an off game....specifically Jack with his high number of turnovers. They seemed a bit frustrated out there.

Finally, the goalie Zatkoff was very unimpressive imo. Plays too far back in the net and gives out a large number of rebounds.

For Canada--the big 4 defenders continue to play great. Franson really had a good game. Also, guys like Helm and Cliche are really starting to stand out for their defense, forechecking, penalty killing etc.

Can't say enough about how for Carey Price seems to have come since last year. Very impressive.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Johnson will be fine, his game is perfectly suited for the NHL where those hard hits likely won't be called penalties. I think he's just trying to do too much right now, he needs to use his teammates more and let the game come to him.

He may end up being fine but right now there should be a red flag painted over his head. As I said in another thread, he has regressed rather than progressed. His hockey sense is atrocious and if he coughs up the puck as many times as he did today in a NHL training camp, he'll start the season in the ECHL.

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
I won't post the Canadian kids already mentioned... most of us have seen both games. I did however like Omark (?) for team Sweden and Okposo for team USA. Omark had a good game and some nice moves, but I see Okposo doing more at a higher level.

I haven't seen any other games really. How's Bumagin for team Russia? I saw he had a 2 point game the first night vs. the Czech's. Anyone know?

zoomba

May 11, 2006
Unionville, ON
I have been very impressed with Helm, Staal and Toews for Canada. A bit disappointed by Cogliano.

Helm is incredibly tenacious and does not relent. I was glad he got those goals at the end as he was strong all game.

Staal is just a stud. Defensive D-man at his finest. He controls that entire side of the ice with his reach and just shuts down everyone. Love his game.

Toews seems to be more confident this time, as to be expected. Today he played like he believed he was the best player on the ice. He has terrific smarts out there and once he gets stronger will be an absolute force.

I am expecting more from Cogliano. I really have not noticed him at times and was expecting him to be a dynamo. He needs to shoot the puck more and challenge the D-men. A few of the US D were having trouble with speed in this game and against Germany. I thought he would have tried to expose them.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Through one game and in order:

Studs:
1. Churilov
2. Makarov
3. Anisimov
4. Loginov
5. Zubov

Disappointments:
1. Vasyunov
2. Ryasensky
3. Alexandrov
4. Vojnov
5. Krysanov

fatsunny

Jan 22, 2005
Johnson & Johnson

I'm surprised that Jack Johnson hasn't been benched for his poor play. He was responsible for Downies goal today (well his defensive partner helped by absolutely giving Downie all the room in the world to make that play) and made numerous turnovers and boneheaded plays. And since he doesn't get benched for being stupid, expect the same type of game from JJ for the rest of the tournament.

The other Johnson, Eric, played a strong game with the exception of throwing his stick. That was a dumb play, but an isolated mistake from EJ. Put him on the first power play on the point. His wrist shot from the point is nasty good.

Randall Graves*

Through one game and in order:

Studs:
1. Churilov
2. Makarov
3. Anisimov
4. Loginov
5. Zubov

Disappointments:
1. Vasyunov
2. Ryasensky
3. Alexandrov
4. Vojnov
5. Krysanov
Lots of OV's there.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Why are you so harsh on Voinov, he is only 16 years old. I think it's great for him to be there so underager

He is taking a roster spot that could have gone to Vishnevsky, Lange, Shvalev, Osipov, etc... he may as well perform. Age is no excuse: he made the team because he is supposedly a better addition to the team than the availble 18 and 19 year olds. For a defenseman (even of the 4th pairing variety) who made Russia's WJC squad, I think his play against the Czechs was disappointing regardless of player identity.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm a JJ fan but the #1 question mark for me, even at the NCAA level, is how his offensive game will translate to the NHL. He really does rome all over the ice and when he has to cut that out for NHL hockey will his numbers still be that great???

mooseOAK*

Marc Staal to me has easily been the best player I have seen.

Disappointing to me are the forwards in general. Goals seem to be coming from mistakes and tips and very few nice offensive plays.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I'm surprised that Jack Johnson hasn't been benched for his poor play. He was responsible for Downies goal today (well his defensive partner helped by absolutely giving Downie all the room in the world to make that play) and made numerous turnovers and boneheaded plays. And since he doesn't get benched for being stupid, expect the same type of game from JJ for the rest of the tournament.

The other Johnson, Eric, played a strong game with the exception of throwing his stick. That was a dumb play, but an isolated mistake from EJ. Put him on the first power play on the point. His wrist shot from the point is nasty good.

Wasn't Eric Johnson the player that Darren Helm blew by for his first goal?

bullsville

May 13, 2006
Be a Blackhawk this days are sweet:we can make the playoffs and our top prospects(like Toews and Skille)are playing great.Anyone can help with Makarov...i really dont see a lot of times this guy,how about his performance in the World Junior Championship?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad