WJC SF2: Jan 3 GDT - USA vs. Finland (2-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Aaron Vickers said:
To me, the Americans haven't looked all that dominant.

USA fans: I've noticed Fritsche hasn't been used all that much. Is there a specific reason for this?

Fin fans: I've noticed Piispanen was playing on the 2nd line, according to TSN's graphic they threw up on the screen. Wasn't he starting off the tournament on the 4th line, and has he really played that well to jump to the 2nd, or is it more of a case of rolling four lines, and playing him with different players?

Well, I just heard Bob Mckenzie mention the U.S. is using it's top two lines heavily, it's 3rd moderately, and it's 4th not much at all. Fritsche plays on the 3rd line, so that would explain his relative lack of playing time.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
The US is awfully quick and polished. Good puck control and hockey sense all around. So far they're playing a solid team game with good puck support along the boards.

One thing that struck me so far is that despite the puck support along the boards they have, the defensemen by and large have trouble containing bigger and stronger Finns down low. Tukkonen was more effective this one period than he had been in all three against Canada because he's got that big body presence down low and is strong on his skates.

Only one American defenseman is over 200lbs (Stuart).

The Finns have taken the game to the US physically so far. The first big hit of the game by the Finns resulted in a retaliatory penalty by Potter. Should the US win, it'll be interesting to see how the smaller and lankier blueline for the US responds to Canada's big, grinding forwards who excel down low.

One thing's for sure though: the Americans have an incredibly fast transition game. And with the puck handling abilities of Montoya, Finland can't simply dump the puck in and go to work. Cross-ice dump-ins, being physically assertive, and getting the puck deep to work on the American defensemen will be keys for Finland in the last two periods.

Tukkonen and Bergenheim need to step up for this game. This should be a game where both excel.

rwinger

Aug 14, 2003
cagney said:
It's on channel 751 for me. I have DirecTV.

I have Dish Network + Center Ice

I have hockey normally on Channels 540-552. But none of them are showing this game :-( :-(

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Rabid Ranger said:
Well, I just heard Bob Mckenzie mention the U.S. is using it's top two lines heavily, it's 3rd moderately, and it's 4th not much at all. Fritsche plays on the 3rd line, so that would explain his relative lack of playing time.

Heard that, but figured Fritsche would have a more important role on the team then a 3rd line centre.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
bmerri19 said:
DirecTV Center Ice has the game on channel 751.

The Gold Medal game will be on DirecTV Center Ice on Monday.

USA! USA!

Yup 751 that what I've got on. I wonder why other Center Ice's aren't showing it :dunno:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mike8 said:
The US is awfully quick and polished. Good puck control and hockey sense all around. So far they're playing a solid team game with good puck support along the boards.

One thing that struck me so far is that despite the puck support along the boards they have, the defensemen by and large have trouble containing bigger and stronger Finns down low. Tukkonen was more effective this one period than he had been in all three against Canada because he's got that big body presence down low and is strong on his skates.

Only one American defenseman is over 200lbs (Stuart).

The Finns have taken the game to the US physically so far. The first big hit of the game by the Finns resulted in a retaliatory penalty by Potter. Should the US win, it'll be interesting to see how the smaller and lankier blueline for the US responds to Canada's big, grinding forwards who excel down low.

One thing's for sure though: the Americans have an incredibly fast transition game. And with the puck handling abilities of Montoya, Finland can't simply dump the puck in and go to work. Cross-ice dump-ins, being physically assertive, and getting the puck deep to work on the American defensemen will be keys for Finland in the last two periods.

Tukkonen and Bergenheim need to step up for this game. This should be a game where both excel.

Thanks for the insights. If the U.S. does win this game against Finland, I wonder if a repeat of the Olympic gold medal game between the U.S. and Canada would occur? Meaning, a U.S. team that was built to play on international sized ice would get nuetralized by the bigger Canadian team?

chicpea*

Phil333 said:
Why do these Canadian announcers keep pronouncing Parise as "Pari-say" isnt it "Pariseee"

Because that's how we pronounce his dad's name...

chicpea*

Phil333 said:
I like those Finnish cheerleaders :-P

Cheerleaders at hockey games is just dumb and wrong. Those girls should be playing hockey not prancing about in the aisles. Maybe that's why Canada's women's team can beat Finland...?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Finns just had a 2-0 rush, and it looks like Carle knocked the net off. The U.S. needs to pick their play up big time if they want to win this game.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Finns to the PP after a 2 on 0 break.

The Finns have started working hard on the Americans down low. Much of the play this period has been controlled by Finland. The US defensemen are starting to have trouble moving the puck out of their zone as the Finnish forwards are leaning on them and pressuring harder.

On another note, I've gotta say the officiating is abysmal this game--mostly against the Finns for playing the more physical game. This last call was just brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad