WJC SF1: Jan 3 GDT - Canada vs. Czech Republic (7-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Couburn! Crosby with another AMAZING PASS!

I have to dissagree with you willie. I think he has been solid AND Tambellini has been great as well. Both have done well with what they have been asked to do. Kanko may not be scoring the way he could but the rest of his game has been dandy to me. We differ it seems.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
Van said:
Elbowing isn't allowed in the NHL. The hockey over here is a rough and tough style....not a "please don't hit me" style.

Which style do you think is better? Look at the score of this game...the tougher style is kicking the weaker style's ass.

It's 7-1 now, and it could be 10-1 by the end of the game at this pace.

The spectator wants to see monster checks, elbow's... etc.
The hockey game lives on emotions!
No way....

Sid play very effective in the PP so far...

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
What a spank! This hit by Phaneuf is exactly why hockey is our sport. We play with emotion and heart every game and willing to put our bodys on the line to win. I guess the czech are not ready sto make that sacrifice.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
The one big worry I have about the final is that the physical style isn't going to be as effective against the Americans (assuming they make it.) Throw in their hot goalie, and it's going to be close, regardless of how dominant Canada has looked so far.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
That hit Phaneuf put on that Czech kid was amazing! Totally clean, very Scott Stevens esque.
The Flames must be licking their chops right now!
I swear Calgary has one of the best young D cores around and looks like Phaneuf will fit in like a glove. :)

chicpea*

jcpenny said:
What a spank! This hit by Phaneuf is exactly why hockey is our sport. We play with emotion and heart every game and willing to put our bodys on the line to win. I guess the czechs are not ready to make that sacrifice.

Especially not Hudler. Now that it's over and I won't jinx us I can fairly say: god, I can't stand that guy. Way overrated and a selfish player to boot. He's got skill but not the other intangible qualities it seems. He is definitely not a leader and how he became the Czech captain is beyond me.

chicpea*

the say broken nose, broken cheekbone and likely sever concussion for olesz.

leafaholix*

punchy1 said:
The worst player on team Canada SCORES!!!

If Getzlaf can score than anyone can.
You obviously haven't seen any of Ryan Getzlaf prior to this game.

To say he's the worst player on Team Canada shows your ignorance.

He's one of the more talented forwards.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Lard_Lad said:
The one big worry I have about the final is that the physical style isn't going to be as effective against the Americans (assuming they make it.) Throw in their hot goalie, and it's going to be close, regardless of how dominant Canada has looked so far.
Our team is more complete than the U.S.. We have 4 lines they only have two. And by th way the finns might win beat the U.S..

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
jcpenny said:
Our team is more complete than the U.S.. We have 4 lines they only have two. And by th way the finns might win beat the U.S..

Who says the U.S. only has two lines? That shows your ignorance of the American team and it's players. As for being more complete in what way? The U.S. has a goalie who is playing very well and is projected to be a first round draft pick this year, and a great mix on D. Quit talking out of your rear end.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Who says the U.S. only has two lines? That shows your ignorance of the American team and it's players. As for being more complete in what way? The U.S. has a goalie who is playing very well and is projected to be a first round draft pick this year, and a great mix on D. Quit talking out of your rear end.
Alright alright man calm down, im just repeating what an NHL scout said on RDS during the intermission in the first game against the czechs. Ill watch th game against the finns and ill give you a better analyze.

leafaholix*

Defense...

Dion Phaneuf
Braydon Coburn
Brent Seabrook
Shawn Belle
Derek Meech
Josh Gorges
Kevin Klein

... TO...

Mark Stuart
Ryan Suter
Corey Potter
Matthew Hunwick
Dan Richmond
Matthew Carle
James Wisniewski

Offense...

Canada: 10+ Players in the top 30 in tournament scoring.
U.S.A.: 4 Players in the top 30 in tournament scoring. (prior to Finland game)

Notice how I said CANADIAN OFFENSE... and I mean it as a whole... as a team. And Canada has a deeper team offensively then the American squad.

Goaltending...

Marc-Andre Fleury

... TO...

Alvaro Montoya

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:

Goaltending...

Marc-Andre Fleury

... TO...

Alvaro Montoya
This is the matchup that will decide the game (assuming the US plays on Monday! :))

On defense, they're pretty evenly matched. On offense, pretty evenly matched - edge to Canada for 4 scoring lines.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Charlie_Girl49 said:
This is the matchup that will decide the game (assuming the US plays on Monday! :))

On defense, they're pretty evenly matched. On offense, pretty evenly matched - edge to Canada for 4 scoring lines.

While I pretty much agree with your sentiments, I think there is a bit of ignorance on the Canadian side about the calibre of players the U.S. has brought to this tournament. Just because you haven't heard of them, or play for a U.S. college doesn't mean they aren't good. I think a match-up between the U.S. and Canada (if it does happen), would be fairly evenly matched. Canada has a clear size advantage, especially at forward, and Fluery is the more proven goaltender, but all in all I think it would be a great game.

chicpea*

this just in, phaneuf's hit was reviewed, but he was cleared so yes, he'll play for gold.

ish

Jan 3, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
jcpenny said:
What a spank! This hit by Phaneuf is exactly why hockey is our sport. We play with emotion and heart every game and willing to put our bodys on the line to win. I guess the czech are not ready sto make that sacrifice.

It's posts like this that leave a bad impression of Canadian hockey fans in many an Americans mind. No one else besides Canadians play with heart or passion? Yes, today the Czechs did look somewhat unispired and Canada did make them look awful, but I'm sure if you're a Sens fan for example you like Chara pounding bodies for you and Hossa working for everything he gets. It's just so brutal that so many Canadians (not all) genuinely think that they care that much more about the game than other people. Go ahead and think your success is because you have that much more heart. And it wouldn't have killed Miller and McGuire to give some credit to the Olesz kid for getting up quickly before collapsing again before his bench. The poor kid was fighting it. If a Canadian did that they'd be calling for him to be in Ottawa next week getting an Order of Canada.

Dartmouth 02

Nov 18, 2003
New York, NY
Visit site
ish said:
It's posts like this that leave a bad impression of Canadian hockey fans in many an Americans mind. No one else besides Canadians play with heart or passion? Yes, today the Czechs did look somewhat unispired and Canada did make them look awful, but I'm sure if you're a Sens fan for example you like Chara pounding bodies for you and Hossa working for everything he gets. It's just so brutal that so many Canadians (not all) genuinely think that they care that much more about the game than other people. Go ahead and think your success is because you have that much more heart. And it wouldn't have killed Miller and McGuire to give some credit to the Olesz kid for getting up quickly before collapsing again before his bench. The poor kid was fighting it. If a Canadian did that they'd be calling for him to be in Ottawa next week getting an Order of Canada.

right on, brother. this has bothered me forever. the entire world knows and respects canada's hockey heritage and pride for the game. canada, indeed, IS hockey. however to discount the passion or "heart" of other countries is not only a crappy thing to do, but completely false. we are way beyond the point where anyone should be disparaging the style or accomplishments of a country such as the Czech Republic, which has an amazing hockey history and fierce love for the sport, not to mention as many world championship, olympic, and world junior titles as anyone of late. be proud of your team, but try to have some class.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
First off, the game rocked. Jeff Carter I predicted to lead the Canadian team in scoring, and he's showing me why I picked him!

As for the Phaneuf it, it was clean by NHL standards, and by IHL standards, it's a 'hit to the head' or whatever they call it. Either way, no suspension. Hope Olezs is okay.

As for the Czech fans, I earlier said the Czechs were one of the most overrated teams in this tournament, and it seems my thoughts were justified. Here's why the team wasn't as good as it was supposed to be:

#1 - Their best forwards, such as Hudler and Fleishman, are just too small. As you saw in the two games against the Canadian team, when Hudler and Fleishman have to start moving around with Phaneuf, Seabrook, and Coburn out there, you're going to have a fly on a winshield effect.

Furthermore, there were no Czech defensemen that can handle size players with skill. Essentially, on the Canadian roster, there are about 4 or 5 'power forwards'. That is almost impossible to stop unless you have big, skilled defensemen. The Czech defensemen had some skilled defensemen, and some big defensemen, but not enough of guys with both.

The Czechs will be better other years, they have a great hockey program. But this year, they just didn't have the personel to beat a team like Canada.

One last note - Mike Richards. This guy is going to be a John Madden in the NHL. I was watching him penalty kill, and his stick is like a snake. He keeps it to his side, then so quick it strikes and hits the opponents stick or the puck. He's also got the speed and offensive savvy to put pucks into the net in odd man rushes. I can see this guy challenging Madden's 6 SH goals in his rookie season NHL record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad