WJC SF1: Jan 3 GDT - Canada vs. Czech Republic (7-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicpea*

wow. what a hit by phaneuf!! and they call it elbowing?! Clearly not. but - olesz is swallowing his tongue? holee cow.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
PecaFan said:
Yes, there have been numerous guys on the ice. There have also been numerous folks with cuts, neck contusions and the like.

Looks more to me like we're just pounding the hell out of them.

I suppose the Swiss and Slovaks were physically pounding the Czechs too, eh?

I've only seen one player cut (Linhart).

I've seen numerous dives by many Czechs -- most notably from Hudler, who's been diving any game I've seen him play. Not only does he dive, but he'll crawl around the ice, even if he's lying deep in the offensive zone while the opposition is in transition offense.

Anyway, big collision. Gotta feel for Olesz. Wonder how this will affect things.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
chicpea said:
wow. what a hit by phaneuf!! and they call it elbowing?! Clearly not. but - olesz is swallowing his tongue? holee cow.

Not a chance it was an elbow.

Now they're giving him 5, because Olesz got knocked loopy.

Horrid, horrid call to start with, upgrading it to 5 and a game is just bad.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Give me a break. The call was fine. We only know it was a clean hit because we saw it multiple times on slow motion replay.

Refs don't get that luxury folks.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
PecaFan said:
Give me a break. The call was fine. We only know it was a clean hit because we saw it multiple times on slow motion replay.

With all due respect, it may have been the angle I saw it the first time, since I had the luxury of seeing it from the far side on TV, it didn't look like his elbow was anywhere near the head.

But upgrading it from 2 minutes to 5 because Olesz can't make it back to the bench? If it was that viscous, why not call it a 5 from the start?

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Bad Call....

Of course, it's bad for Olesk.... But it's not a penalty... In the NHL, this hit is okay... What the hell.....

BCCHL inactive

Phaneuf's hit was not an elbow...we all know that, and we also know stuff like that is called in Europe, so whining about it is needless.

Besides, Bob McKenzie brought up a good point...Andersson could have called it a Check To The Head and would have been able to justify it.

...And because Andersson saw the hit as being worthy of a penalty, due to the injury to Olesz, he had no choice but to kick Phaneuf out.

Bottom line...Phaneuf is gone from this game. Canada needs to forget about him for the next 20 minutes and get the win so they will have him back Monday.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
This call is as stupid as the 4 min for bleeding in the NHL. If he wanted to give a 2 min i would have accepted it even there was no call to make. I think the refs just never seen such a big hit as legal in thier career.

BCCHL inactive

jcpenny said:
This call is as stupid as the 4 min for bleeding in the NHL. If he wanted to give a 2 min i would have accepted it even there was no call to make. I think the refs just never seen such a big hit as legal in thier career.

Andersson could not give 2 minutes. If he is calling a penalty, and an injury results, he must give 5 and a Game Misconduct. That is IIHF rules.

endacka

Mar 7, 2002
Paris
Visit site
PecaFan said:

I have not seen that hit, but you guys are forgotting that this is a international game and so plenty of hits and rough plays that would be fine in the NHL or canadian juniors leagues are not so fine in here. Is Olesz OK?

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Van said:
Bottom line...Phaneuf is gone from this game. Canada needs to forget about him for the next 20 minutes and get the win so they will have him back Monday.

There's definitely no mandatory suspension for the ejection, then?

Edit: never mind, they just said no on TV.

Last edited:

Les Zarbites

Van said:
Phaneuf's hit was not an elbow...we all know that, and we also know stuff like that is called in Europe, so whining about it is needless.

Besides, Bob McKenzie brought up a good point...Andersson could have called it a Check To The Head and would have been able to justify it.

...And because Andersson saw the hit as being worthy of a penalty, due to the injury to Olesz, he had no choice but to kick Phaneuf out.

Yeah btw what the hell is up with that "check to the head" rule. Is it the body checker's fault if the other guy is skating with his head down ? What is it ? They make a rule for players being careless ? I think it's stupid.

BCCHL inactive

endacka said:
Is Olesz OK?

Last we heard on TSN is that he was still being worked on by medical people at the Helsinki Ice Arena. The last visuals I saw had Olesz awake and talking, but he was lying on a stretcher.

I can almost guarantee you he will be on his way to the hospital soon.

chicpea*

endacka said:
I have not seen that hit, but you guys are forgotting that this is a international game and so plenty of hits and rough plays that would be fine in the NHL or canadian juniors leagues are not so fine in here. Is Olesz OK?

I don't think so. Last i saw he was semi-conscious in the hallway on a stretcher with a huge welt on his face. Yikes.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
endacka said:

I don't think he is hurt ...More dizzy and possible concussion symptoms..

BCCHL inactive

Habsolution said:
Yeah btw what the hell is up with that "check to the head" rule. Is it the body checker's fault if the other guy is skating with his head down ? What is it ? They make a rule for careless idiots ? I think it's stupid.

The rule is to help prevent concussions. Weather the player has his head down or not, the player delivering the hit should make an effort to not hit him in the head. Sometimes this is unavoidable, which is why referees still have discretion on the rule.

Seeing the replays of Phaneuf's hit, as a referee, I'm not sure if I would have called it or not. I would have to be on the ice with a feel for the game to make that decision.

And no Lard...this isn't soccer. ;) There is no automatic suspension for a Game Misconduct in the 2nd period.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Van said:
Andersson could not give 2 minutes. If he is calling a penalty, and an injury results, he must give 5 and a Game Misconduct. That is IIHF rules.

Poor rule, but a rule nonetheless.

If I get tripped and somehow fall on my arm, spraining it, the other guy gets a 5 minute major and a game for tripping? Meh.

Thanks for the heads up Van.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
endacka said:
Didn't look so good, when he was hit he landed on his back, but he ended up with marks on his face when he was carried of the ice. They must of resulted from him collapsing infront of the bench. Hopefully it isn't as bad as it looked. (Olesz' injury)

Also I agree about your penalty commentary and that is why Burns wouldn't see a shift in the third if I was coaching team canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad