WJC Relegation Round talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Jazz said:
God Bless.

How does relegating only 1 team fit into the IIHF's 2 groups per division setup? (Div I has Groups A and B, each with 6 where both group winners get promoted).

The problem is that Germany and Belarus have to make 2 steps to get to the level of the Top-8 (I include the Swiss here), whereas the 2 teams added would only be half a step behind Germany and Belarus. This is why, given the 2 up/2 down relegation system, that there should be 12 teams.

I honestly think that Switzerland's 2-1 loss to Canada in 1996 was a momentary spike in their upward climb. Canada were probably not mentally prepared for that match.
No, Canada was not prepared. But it doesn't take away from the fact that Switzerland came very close to beating them. If they were a 2004 Ukraine-esque team, they wouldn't have lost by one. (Think of it along the lines of the 2004 World Cup game between Finland and Germany).

From 1996-2002, this tournament operated with 10 teams, two pools of five, just like it did now, and only one relegated team. The ninth and 10th place teams held a two-game, total goal series to determine who would get relegated. The top team from the qualifier pool would then replace the 10th place team. It was a simple system. For some reason, not sure why, they decided to relegate two teams. I don't think the system works, because it has twice cost a competitive team, Germany, a place in the tournament.

Jazz

God Bless Canada said:
...From 1996-2002, this tournament operated with 10 teams, two pools of five, just like it did now, and only one relegated team. The ninth and 10th place teams held a two-game, total goal series to determine who would get relegated. The top team from the qualifier pool would then replace the 10th place team. It was a simple system. For some reason, not sure why, they decided to relegate two teams. I don't think the system works, because it has twice cost a competitive team, Germany, a place in the tournament.

Correct, but back then the IIHF were operating with a 1up/1down promotion relegation system. Now it is 2up/2down (with each of Div I and II split into 2 groups).

I did not like the 2-game total goal series concept. One year (1998) when Slovakia fell to the relegation round, they thrashed Germany by a combined score of something like 18-2...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad