WJC REL: Jan 2 GDT - Sweden vs. Ukraine (4-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
WJC REL: Jan 2 GDT - Sweden vs. Ukraine

I read that some of the Swedish players cried after the loss against Slovakia. Are they still motivated for this one?
Anyway, they should win the game.

Prediction:
6-0 Sweden

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sad to Sweden's WJC experience this year come to this conclusion. They deserved a better fate, especially after hanging close with the U.S. and Russia. Should have done more with their last game though. Anyway, I say they mop up with the Ukrainians by a 8-1 score.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
last year Sweden were in this position and they were brought to the wire by belarus in front of a big pro Belarus crowd. Ukraine is not Belarus but there is no question that some players will pack it in. Others will still play for pride and if the coach plays them enough Sweden should win easily and ensure they will not be going to Div 1.

BCCHL inactive

I think that Sweden is lucky that Ukraine and Austria are here instead of Belarus and Germany.

Sweden will be in Pool A again next year....but unless they do something very quick with their U20 program, and I'm talking next year quick...Sweden could be in more danger than we think next year with a young Belarus team who has 14 eligible returnees (including both Kastsitsyns...both were in the Top 10 Div.I B scoring), and Germany has 12 eligible returnees and should be no slouch either, entering Pool A.....meanwhile Sweden can only take 6 players from this year's team to Grand Forks.

Unlike Ukraine and Austria....Belarus and Germany will be ready for this tournament next year.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
I think sweden will win. 5-1 is my guess. I agree with Van, something has to be done. But I don't see what can change over such a short period as one year. They have to be thinking big, at least 10 years from now. Acting in panic won't do much good. Maybe it is the way swedish hockey is meant to be taking, maybe the time for sweden as one of the big 6 is up for good and nothing will ever change it. Not that I believe in fate, but the sport isn't growing in sweden. It has lost alot of interest and media coverage over the years, especially since national TV stopped broadcasting regular season SEL games and the introduction of cable/payperview NHL/international hockey.

And speaking of Germany & Belarus, maybe it's time to increase the number of teams in the WJC. The sport is slowly growing, the depth of talent worldwide also so maybe the WJC is ready for a few more teams.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Riddarn said:
I think sweden will win. 5-1 is my guess. I agree with Van, something has to be done. But I don't see what can change over such a short period as one year. They have to be thinking big, at least 10 years from now. Acting in panic won't do much good. Maybe it is the way swedish hockey is meant to be taking, maybe the time for sweden as one of the big 6 is up for good and nothing will ever change it. Not that I believe in fate, but the sport isn't growing in sweden. It has lost alot of interest and media coverage over the years, especially since national TV stopped broadcasting regular season SEL games and the introduction of cable/payperview NHL/international hockey.

And speaking of Germany & Belarus, maybe it's time to increase the number of teams in the WJC. The sport is slowly growing, the depth of talent worldwide also so maybe the WJC is ready for a few more teams.

I don't agree at all. I think hockey remains a sport that about seven countries (Canada, Russia, U.S., Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, and Slovakia) can be considered competitive in at all levels. The WJC's this year emphasize that with the hideous performances of the Austrian and Ukranian teams. Those teams will be relegated, and two more stiffs will be brought back next year, and so the cycle goes. That's not likely to change anytime soon. The tourney, if anything has too many teams.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Rabid Ranger said:
I don't agree at all. I think hockey remains a sport that about seven countries (Canada, Russia, U.S., Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, and Slovakia) can be considered competitive in at all levels. The WJC's this year emphasize that with the hideous performances of the Austrian and Ukranian teams. Those teams will be relegated, and two more stiffs will be brought back next year, and so the cycle goes. That's not likely to change anytime soon. The tourney, if anything has too many teams.

I want to increase the number of teams in order to see if countrys like Germany, Austria and Belarus can establish themselves as good hockey nations. I believe at least Germany has a legitimate shot at it, if they are given time.

If they have to fight relegation every year or claw their way back up to Div 1 every other year then they can't build much of a u20 program I think. I would like to add Switzerland to your list of 7 teams, they have been as good or better than Sweden the last 5 years.

leafaholix*

Sweden's had one of the top 3 goaltenders in the tournament and they're playing with heart...

9-0, Sweden.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Rob said:
How much press does the tournament get back in Sweden?

Not much. It is mentioned, but it's mostly, like in everything concerning hockey nowdays, its focused on how badly the swedes (and swedish juniors in perticular) are playing and if they loose, the tabloids have a field day. The other day when sweden got knocked out, one of the bigger tabloids had headlines like "Fiasco!" or something like that. The journalist who wrote it can't know much about the history of swedish junior hockey. Sweden has never been that good, occationally we've gotten a bronze or maybe even a silver but only once have we got a gold medal.

BCCHL inactive

Rabid Ranger said:
two more stiffs will be brought back next year, and so the cycle goes. That's not likely to change anytime soon. The tourney, if anything has too many teams.

I will repeat what I said earlier in a shorter version...

Belarus and Germany, the two "stiffs" that will be in Grand Forks next year, will be well prepared for the tournament. Belarus has 14 eligible returnees, while Germany can bring back 12 players from this year.....all that while Sweden can only bring back 6 players from this year's team, which is a product of a continuously failing Swedish hockey program.

Sweden is lucky that Austria and Ukraine are not near as well prepared this year as Germany and Belarus will be next year.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Joakim Lundström it seems.. according to iihf
"Goalkeeper 00:00 SWE 30 LUNDSTROM Joakim "

Nilsson is having a strong game with 3 points, Sweden in the lead 3-0.
[sarcasm]HURRAY![/sarcasm]

:)

chicpea*

Predatore said:
Joakim Lundström it seems.. according to iihf
"Goalkeeper 00:00 SWE 30 LUNDSTROM Joakim "

thanks. Yes, it's up now for me too. I would think that the Swedes would've given their backup the start.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
I bet back-up åkerlund will play tomorrow. This kid is really talented, should be great in next year's tournament.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
did the Ukranian players lose it totally?
59.28 2 min Ukraine 8. LUBNIN, Oleksiy Roughing
59.28 10 min Ukraine 8. LUBNIN, Oleksiy Misconduct
59.28 2 min Ukraine 8. LUBNIN, Oleksiy Checking from behind
59.28 2 min Ukraine 17. VOYTSEKHIVSKYY, Oleksiy Roughing
59.28 2 min Ukraine 17. VOYTSEKHIVSKYY, Oleksiy Roughing
59.28 2 min Ukraine 22. ONYSHCHENKO, Yevgen Roughing
59.28 2 min Ukraine 22. ONYSHCHENKO, Yevgen Roughing
55.47 2 min Ukraine 26. BOGDANOV, Anatoliy Holding the stick

I would assume that there were some Swedish penalties also.. they haven't come up yet though.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
59.28 2 min Sweden 18. BLOMDAHL, Patric Roughing
59.28 2 min Sweden 18. BLOMDAHL, Patric Roughing
59.28 2 min Sweden 10. JOHANSSON, Fredrik Roughing
59.28 2 min Sweden 10. JOHANSSON, Fredrik Roughing
59.28 2 min Sweden 3. BLOMQVIST, Henrik Slashing
59.28 20 min Ukraine 8. LUBNIN, Oleksiy Game Misconduct