WJC QF: Jan 2 GDT - Sweden 5 Czech Republic 1

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Hmmm.I watched the first period and while there were calls no-one likes to see it was'nt anything that was tipping the balance for a team one way or the other and no differnt then any other game here.Sweden is a better team and should win this game,when the score was tight every second post was complaining about the reffing and how it was keeping Czechs in the game(even stuff that were'nt penalties on the Czechs) Now they are up 4-1 and refs don't seem to be a problem.

I know there is stuff we all don't want seen called but it is gonna happen every game.I saw nothing that was overly in favour of the Czechs however.The closeness of the score is the common denominator on ref complaints IMO.

You make the call.
Yes, of course you're right we complain more when the score is close, but the fact is he is still pretty bloody awful. 4-1 or 2-1 aside. He lost this game from the 2nd minute in the 1st period, kind of. He misses blood and blows the whistle when some dust is getting brushed off some sweater.

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
There is not as much complaining about the ref because, well, he ****. :help:

Last two cech penalties was just plain "hey, there's a swedish player on the ice - must have been a penalty...". To top it of, the next penalty (on a swedish player) was a very nice dive in front of the net where the best call would have been both players or none!

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Haha, what a bunch of quotes from Wikegård...
"All of a sudden Czech players can't start weighing 20kg in front of the goal..."
"... He blows the whistle on diaper situations and baby powder..."

He hasn't seen through one single dive and Wikegård is afraid this can get quite ugly in the last period. He has no control of the game.

But, I will try not to complain on him any more. I will simple leave it at he's at the present situation not competent enough to ref these kind of games. If he was a player on the ice, he would have been benched. I hope he won't ref any more games this tournament.

Last edited:

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
Hmmm.I watched the first period and while there were calls no-one likes to see it was'nt anything that was tipping the balance for a team one way or the other and no differnt then any other game here.Sweden is a better team and should win this game,when the score was tight every second post was complaining about the reffing and how it was keeping Czechs in the game(even stuff that were'nt penalties on the Czechs) Now they are up 4-1 and refs don't seem to be a problem.

I know there is stuff we all don't want seen called but it is gonna happen every game.I saw nothing that was overly in favour of the Czechs however.The closeness of the score is the common denominator on ref complaints IMO.

You make the call.

Nope, you've got it wrong. I guess the lack of (?) complaining was more due to the fact that most of us, I guess, where watching the game... Now, in the pause, atleast I have some time to moan about the %!#!&% refs :shakehead

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Bad refs are more of a problem when you´re on the verge of losing a game, when you´re up three goals you continue to get upset, but not not to the extent that you were when the game was 2-1.

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site
Wikegård was even so confused that he started singing after another weird penalty (think it was when a Czech got a penalty that time). :rolly:

espo*

I was expecting a fair reffing.

That, I´m not getting.

You're ahead 4 goals to 1 and you think the reffing is picking on Sweden?

Cmon.

Sweden is in total control of this game,they are stronger then this years Czech edition and the play and score proves it.Reffing in this game is a non-issue.It may be in certain instances in some games.......but not this one.

I know every game the ref makes calls that make us shake their head,you see one of your players have his stick lightly on the knees of an opposing player and a call is made.We would'nt have made the call but they do,every team get's those calls now.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
You're ahead 4 goals to 1 and you think the reffing is picking on Sweden?

Cmon.

Sweden is in total control of this game,they are stronger then this years Czech edition and the play and score proves it.Reffing in this game is a non-issue.It may be in certain instances in some games.......but not this one.

Doesn´t matter what team is stronger, reffing hasn´t been good... Though, it´s been better the last half of the game.

espo*

Nope, you've got it wrong. I guess the lack of (?) complaining was more due to the fact that most of us, I guess, where watching the game... Now, in the pause, atleast I have some time to moan about the %!#!&% refs :shakehead

maybe but i seriously doubt it.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
It's completely pathetic that the Swedes can't sell out that game. They're in the semi's and it looks like a good chunk of the seats are still available. And thats a hockey nation???

espo*

Doesn´t matter what team is stronger, reffing hasn+t been good. Even though it´s been better the last half of the game.

I know the reffing is not pristine but it's usually bad for everyone here.And it certainly is not causing you failure or grossly in the Czechs favour IMO.

SChan*

that penalty was just pathethic. Even the commentators thought so.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
It's completely pathetic that the Swedes can't sell out that game. They're in the semi's and it looks like a good chunk of the seats are still available. And thats a hockey nation???
We think it might have to do with that it's a hockey night in SEL today. They hold the tournament out in Mora and Leksand, which isn't exactly packed with people by international standards (or even national).

This is the first time in ages they even broadcast any of the JWC games, this is the first time in my lifetime I've seen anything of this live.

There's alot of sports in Sweden that are popular, hockey has quite alot of competition on that department.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
5-1! Johansson with the goal AND the assist to himself. :sarcasm:

Wikegård: "Packed and done, the nail in the coffin, close the 7-eleven (kiosk)."

The diving fiest continues... they should show this game to some acting school.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I believe so, Johansson is not drafted. Neither is Omark.

Wikegård talked about some player that is at least as good as Ovechkin and Malkin around this age, which player was it?

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB

Keep in mind that the WJHCs arent nearly as big a deal in Europe as they are here.

There is a reason why this tournament is guaranteed to a Canadian host every three years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->