WJC Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Hmmmmm.....

I'm gonna say Finland cracks under the pressure, with that said this year Switzerland is cracking the top 7 :yo:

Well maybe not, but I'll predict...

Canada
Russia
USA
Czech. Rep.
Sweden
Finland
Switzerland
Slovakia
Austria
Ukraine

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Does anyone else feel that, with the exception of maybe the Czech Republic and/or Sweden, these teams are noticably worse than the ones fielded last year (talking mostly about the big name countries of course)? I definitely think Russia, Canada, Finland, and the USA all had better squads last year, Finland being the most obvious example.

BCCHL inactive

Epsilon said:
Does anyone else feel that, with the exception of maybe the Czech Republic and/or Sweden, these teams are noticably worse than the ones fielded last year (talking mostly about the big name countries of course)? I definitely think Russia, Canada, Finland, and the USA all had better squads last year, Finland being the most obvious example.

Many people said the same about Finland in 1998....they won Gold on home soil. No matter what kind of team the Fins have, never count them out at home.

Russia will always be competitive, and if the CHL vs. Russia series was any indication, Barulin is going to be among the tournament's best goaltenders....and if you have all-star goaltending, a team can get a lot farther than expected.

I may be slightly biased, but I think Canada is getting this rap because of only 3 returning players. Personally, I'm happy with Dion Phaneuf quarterbacking the defence...the forwards should be very strong and talented (*looks at Burns [NHL], Dawes, Getzlaf and Tambellini*...just to name a few). With this all said, the team is likely weaker on paper than last year's squad....but not by much at all.

Sweden's U20 program has been in trouble for a few years now. I think anything above a 6th or 7th place finish for them would be a great accomplishment.

The USA is very strong this year. If I am not mistaken, they have 10 players returning from a very competitive 2003 squad. This could very well be their tournament to lose.

But in the end, the biggest competition for Canada, and possibly even being favoured over Canada, is the Czech Republic. I can't wait for the round robin game.

All in all, I pick 5 teams with shots at medals...

Canada
Czech Republic
United States
Russia
Finland (by only reason of them hosting)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Epsilon said:

I think the only question mark for the U.S. is in goal, and really, wasn't that the case last year? Who knew Goepfert would go gonzo and play out of his mind? That's why I'm going to wait and give Montoya a chance to do the same. I think the U.S. has probably the best forward group, and probably the defense best suited to a tournament on international size ice. These guys are gunners.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
jcpenny said:
Why the U.S? They don't even have a goalie...
They dont have the best goalie but I think their goaltending will be good enough. They have a good defence and good forwards and they have a lot of returning players and thats why I picked them.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Epsilon said:

I agree Russia, Finland had better squads.

I think some people greatly underrate Canada. This is not only an equal squad to last year, I actually prefer this year. Lack of experience apart, I love the outlook of the team.

Not too familiar with the USA team last year but there are several good returnees from last year who have one year of experience under their belt.

Lord

1. Russia. (Nice goalie in Barulin. The strongest offence at the WJC - Ovechkin, Malkin, Krikunov, Mirnov, Shkotov. Defence is lacking of offensive upside. That's for sure, cause no Babchuk, no Pervyshin, and that's why no PP quaterback in Russian team - f****** head coach Ishmatov:shakehead . Defence is goin' to be shaky sometimes, but many of them have good experience in Superleague against tough and older players.)
2. Czech Republic. (Very good goalkeeper Marek Schwarts, second only to Fleury IMO. He's using glove in the left hand BTW. I'am very high on him. Seen him twice, at WJC-18 in Yaroslavl this yesr plus tournament in September in Tyumen. Very impressive :teach: . Some excellent players in attack - Hudler, Polak and Olezsh. Defence somehow in not so good, but we'll see)
3. Canada (The only great advantage is Fleury, but russians scored against him in the final last year. And team spirit is high as always, I think. Some good players, watched them in WJC-18 (Seabrook, Carter very nice) but not experienced and Crosby is only 16. No chance vs Ovechkin, remember Kovalchuk vs Spezza :yo: . )
4. Finland (Mediocre team but with good coaching stuff under Hannu Aravirta i expect suprises from them)
5. USA (Difficult to say, but i don't believe, really)
6. Slovakia (Good team but unpredictable, with a bit of luck can jump into semifinal)
7. Sweden
8. Switzerland

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Lord said:
1. Russia. (Nice goalie in Barulin. The strongest offence at the WJC - Ovechkin, Malkin, Krikunov, Mirnov, Shkotov. Defence is lacking of offensive upside. That's for sure, cause no Babchuk, no Pervyshin, and that's why no PP quaterback in Russian team - f****** head coach Ishmatov:shakehead . Defence is goin' to be shaky sometimes, but many of them have good experience in Superleague against tough and older players.)
2. Czech Republic. (Very good goalkeeper Marek Schwarts, second only to Fleury IMO. He's using glove in the left hand BTW. I'am very high on him. Seen him twice, at WJC-18 in Yaroslavl this yesr plus tournament in September in Tyumen. Very impressive :teach: . Some excellent players in attack - Hudler, Polak and Olezsh. Defence somehow in not so good, but we'll see)
3. Canada (The only great advantage is Fleury, but russians scored against him in the final last year. And team spirit is high as always, I think. Some good players, watched them in WJC-18 (Seabrook, Carter very nice) but not experienced and Crosby is only 16. No chance vs Ovechkin, remember Kovalchuk vs Spezza :yo: . )
4. Finland (Mediocre team but with good coaching stuff under Hannu Aravirta i expect suprises from them)
5. USA (Difficult to say, but i don't believe, really)
6. Slovakia (Good team but unpredictable, with a bit of luck can jump into semifinal)
7. Sweden
8. Switzerland

I couldn't have said i better myself but also you forgot to mention another huge peice of the Russian pie.. Semin..err Semin in the pie sounds kind of nasty but you get the point. I imagine he'll be on the first line.

Lukko4

May 15, 2002
Montreal, QC
1. Russia
2. USA
3. Czech
4. Slovakia
5. Canada

Top Goalie: Konstantin Barulin (RUS) (In a perfect world, it would be Mykola Voroshnov from the Ukraine as the top goalie!)
Top Defenceman: Tobias Enstrom (SWE) or Dion Phaneuf (CAN)
Top Forward: Brent Burns (CAN)

Lord

I_r_1337 said:
I couldn't have said i better myself but also you forgot to mention another huge peice of the Russian pie.. Semin..err Semin in the pie sounds kind of nasty but you get the point. I imagine he'll be on the first line.
Yeah, this is somehow fly away from mind :)
Semin is a great player, so the lose of Zherdev would be not so hurt for Russia.
Top goalie - Schwarts (Czh)
Top defender - Phaneuf (Can)
Top forward - Ovechkin (Rus)

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
this year.. Canada looks like a weaker team than past years.. russia has stars, while finland and sweden looks pretty dead.. although i hate to say it.. but USA looks the strongest on paper...

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Stevenet said:
1. Russia
2. USA
3. Czech
4. Slovakia
5. Canada

Top Goalie: Konstantin Barulin (RUS) (In a perfect world, it would be Mykola Voroshnov from the Ukraine as the top goalie!)
Top Defenceman: Tobias Enstrom (SWE) or Dion Phaneuf (CAN)
Top Forward: Brent Burns (CAN)

I'm suprised to see you having Slovakia so high up. IMO They are icing one of their weakest teams in years.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
My objective prediction:

1) Canada
2) United States
3) Russia

I think goaltending will be the differance maker. If Montoya can play up to his potential, and Fluery falters a bit, the U.S. could nab gold. Same with Barulin and the Russian team.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Gold-U.S.A. (Its our time!)

Silver-Russia (explosive offense with great goaltending is a lethal mix)

Bronze-Finland (gritty finns always play well above their potential on home ice)

Canada will place fourth. They remind me alot of the U.S. team from last year, great young talent but I emphasize the word young, and this will be their undoing. Just as I predicted the U.S. will be the favorite for the gold medal in the 2004 tournament last year, I will also say the same about the Canadians for the 2005 tourney but the problem is that they will lose alot of 1985 to the NHL.

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Lord said:

Canada has the strongest goaltending and defence units in the tourney. Russia has the best offesive attack but they might not play as well as last year with big guys like coburn and phineuf patrolling the blue line. i think canada's offence is weaker that last year but i think the unit has a whole can do the job.

USA has alot of talent but they usually have good teams, its a mtter if they can put it all together. they always have that problem.

Russia is strong as usual but their Def was very good last year and it looks a little weak this year. their Off is amazing.

the czechs r unpredictable, they r similiar to the americans, they need to put it together.

Sweden and finland horrible compared to previous teams...i hope one of the weaker teams beat them...sweden only has steen

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
VOB said:
Gold-U.S.A. (Its our time!)

Silver-Russia (explosive offense with great goaltending is a lethal mix)

Bronze-Finland (gritty finns always play well above their potential on home ice)

Canada will place fourth. They remind me alot of the U.S. team from last year, great young talent but I emphasize the word young, and this will be their undoing. Just as I predicted the U.S. will be the favorite for the gold medal in the 2004 tournament last year, I will also say the same about the Canadians for the 2005 tourney but the problem is that they will lose alot of 1985 to the NHL.

Actually, if there is a lockout next season all the best juniors will be available.

Hitman*

Not only is Canada's team better than last years (far more talent, speed and size), but history (for Canada at least) has shown that inexperience is a non-factor.

Only 3 teams have been younger than this years, and those 3 all won Gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad