WJC on Center Ice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyGoddess

Mar 1, 2002
Nashua, NH
I don't know if this question has already been covered in another thread, but I was wondering if anyone happens to know if any of the WJC games will be broadcast on Center Ice in the US?

I'd love to catch some of these games, but it's looking pretty doubtful unless CI decides to cover any of them.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide any info.

HockeyGoddess

Mar 1, 2002
Nashua, NH
leafssuck said:
I've yet to find a yes or no for sure on CI, but if you get CTV or TSN you can watch Canada games and the medal games regardless of who plays.

Thanks for the response... unfortunately, I don't get either of those channels. :(

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
At this point, they aren't on CI's schedule. I would suggest emailing them, as I have.

G-Double

Aug 5, 2002
left coast
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
At this point, they aren't on CI's schedule. I would suggest emailing them, as I have.

will CTV and TSN show the games simultaneously? the reason i ask is because we get CTV w/ the rabbit ears but obviously not TSN...

thanks in advance.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't get any of the stations mentioned in this thread, and I don't think many do. Yes, TSN, etc.

The Slap Shop

Shop Like a King
Dec 23, 2002
Visit site
Center Ice on Digital Cable last year carried the round robin and Center Ice on Satelite covered the Finals. Center Ice though is getting good at picking up extra non NHL Items. Last year the WJC's and the AHL Skills and All-Star game were on.

BCCHL inactive

I emailed the IIHF a few days ago asking what networks are televising games, but haven't got anything back yet.

I think it is safe to assume Centre Ice is not televising anything.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Belanger25 said:
Center Ice on Digital Cable last year carried the round robin and Center Ice on Satelite covered the Finals. Center Ice though is getting good at picking up extra non NHL Items. Last year the WJC's and the AHL Skills and All-Star game were on.
Yeah, and I think the ECHL All Star game as well. I hope they show at least a couple games, seeing as how they're on at an odd hour for the states, it wouldn't cut into other programs.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
It's true that the YES Network covered some of the US games last year (The quarter-final against the Czechs, the semi-final against Canada, and the bronze medal game against Finland to be exact) but USA Hockey had been advertising the fact for weeks in advance. So far this year they haven't said anything which is not a good sign. Last year the YES Network's coverage level was reduced with each game so I definetly got the impression that there was a severe lack of viewers. It's probably more likely that Center Ice ends up showing a few Canadian games than anything. It's too bad because I was really looking forward to watching this US team.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Rob said:
I know its a long shot but is there anywhere on the net where I could listen to the games?

If you're interested in the US team, USAHockey.com will be broadcasting all of thier games over the internet.

HockeyGoddess

Mar 1, 2002
Nashua, NH
cagney said:
If you're interested in the US team, USAHockey.com will be broadcasting all of thier games over the internet.

Oooh! Thanks for the info! I'll have to try and catch at least a couple games over the net.

BCCHL inactive

Here is what an IIHF representative just emailed to me minutes ago...

"unfortunately the games are only televised in Europe by Finnish National Broadcasting Corporation YLE, and the broadcast is over the air. You won't be able to see the games in Canada. The other channel to televise is NTV + in Russia. This channel is a pay tv and thus crypted.

Sweden, Czech Republic, Slovakia only tale news flashes from the tournament, USA HOCKEY transmits the audio from its agmes in their web page (www.usahockey.com) .
"

I just responded asking him about Centre Ice. However, I am not confident that Centre Ice is broadcasting anything because the tournament is in Finland. I'm pretty sure Centre Ice did last year because the tournament was in Canada.

BCCHL inactive

Well, to my surprise, here is what the IIHF sent to me regarding NHL Centre Ice.....

"we have reached an agreement with NHL Center Ice and see the following
information for your interest:

On behalf of USA Hockey please accept this e-mail as official confirmation
that the organization, as the national television rights holder for all
International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) events, extends its permission to
the National Hockey League and TSN to televise any and all games live from
the 2004 IIHF World Junior Championship on NHL Center Ice. The IIHF has also
approved this measure, and proper notification has been provided to Hockey
Canada, which has given its consent for NHL Center Ice telecasts from the
World Juniors to air in Canada. In addition, the New England Sports Network
(NESN), FOX Sports Net North and College Sports Television (CSTV), all of
which will be televising any potential semifinal and medal-round contests
involving Team USA on a tape-delayed basis, were alerted.
"

...And the only major sports package I can get with Shaw Digital is NFL Sunday Ticket. :rant:

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
cagney said:

Thanks a lot for the info cagney. Considering that the US could go all the way this is great news.

As for Canada's games, the Fan 590 is broadcasting the games on radio in Canada. I'm really curious if it can be picked up over the internet. I've been trying to access their web site but it seems to be down.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Van said:
Well, to my surprise, here is what the IIHF sent to me regarding NHL Centre Ice.....

"we have reached an agreement with NHL Center Ice and see the following
information for your interest:

On behalf of USA Hockey please accept this e-mail as official confirmation
that the organization, as the national television rights holder for all
International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) events, extends its permission to
the National Hockey League and TSN to televise any and all games live from
the 2004 IIHF World Junior Championship on NHL Center Ice. The IIHF has also
approved this measure, and proper notification has been provided to Hockey
Canada, which has given its consent for NHL Center Ice telecasts from the
World Juniors to air in Canada. In addition, the New England Sports Network
(NESN), FOX Sports Net North and College Sports Television (CSTV), all of
which will be televising any potential semifinal and medal-round contests
involving Team USA on a tape-delayed basis, were alerted.
"

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
John Flyers Fan said:

Great news! I'm pumped up big time now. I'm telling everyone I know to watch since these games are a total blast. Hopefully they can get some ratings this year.

BTW, CSTV (College Sports Television) is quickly becoming one of my favorite channels. Anybody who doesn't have it should look into getting it. They have a petition on thier website to help get them national coverage outside of DirecTV. If you're interested, check out thier website... www.cstv.com

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Van said:
...And the only major sports package I can get with Shaw Digital is NFL Sunday Ticket. :rant:

I bought my satellite 3 weeks ago, and when I did, I dropped my two cable boxes on the counter at Shaw, and said that I was ending our business relationship. When the lady asked why, I said "Because you don't carry NHL Centre Ice."

It won't help me...but maybe it will help you in the future Van. ;)

The Slap Shop

Shop Like a King
Dec 23, 2002
Visit site
cagney said:
Great news! I'm pumped up big time now. I'm telling everyone I know to watch since these games are a total blast. Hopefully they can get some ratings this year.

BTW, CSTV (College Sports Television) is quickly becoming one of my favorite channels. Anybody who doesn't have it should look into getting it. They have a petition on thier website to help get them national coverage outside of DirecTV. If you're interested, check out thier website... www.cstv.com

College Hockey is on a lot on CSTV They replay every game over and over again. This is going to be a couple days of Great Great Hockey coverage. Including The Everblades classic on CSTV which will feature 2 games on the 27th. Cornell and Notre Dame at 4PM EST and Ohio State and Maine at 7:00 EST. Great. Now I really Really hope USA Makes it for their coverage.

kobasew07

Dec 7, 2003
Rabid Ranger said:
This is awesome news! I guess the first telecast should be against Austria, right?

No, I think that the only US games that you guys will get is the medal round and potential medal games. At least that's what I got from the statement that Van produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad