WJC in Sweden a failure?

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Not by the quality of the play but the attendance...

I mean, except the final, no other game was sold out. The most incredible thing is that even in the bronze medal game, when the Sweden was playing for a medal, the arena wasn't even full!!!

Is it a lack of advertising or simply a lack of hockey fans there?

Jazz

Not by the quality of the play but the attendance...

I mean, except the final, no other game was sold out. The most incredible thing is that even in the bronze medal game, when the Sweden was playing for a medal, the arena wasn't even full!!!

Is it a lack of advertising or simply a lack of hockey fans there?
Age restricted events do not do well for most sports in Europe.

The World Juniors historically don't do well in Europe - this is nothing new.

The World Juniors is only really popular in Canada. That is why the IIHF awards Canada this tournament every 3rd year, because they know it will make huge $$$ here (and hence more $$$ for the IIHF).

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Sweden's first group stage game, against Canada, was also sold out.

Actually the tournament was a success by European/Swedish standards. Pretty decent tv ratings and more people in the stands than expected.

--------
Remember, junior hockey is not huge in Sweden. If you go to a regular junior game in the top league in Sweden, you will have about 30-60 people watching the game, where 90% of the people are in some way to related to the players on the ice.

Bryzga lol*

The WJC are way bigger in Canada than in Europe. TSN developped the U-20 tournament incredibly well...and it sort of spread over in the states aswell. I'm not very surprised the games didn't sell out.

Joretus

It's usually like that over in Europe

Well it depends about location&cities a lot. Ie. now they played in small cities like Leksand&Mora. Another city don't even have team in top league. I think in Finland there were at least good audience even in bigger stadiums.

And of course hockey isn't so big sport in Sweden is in ie. Canada&Finland where it's number one sport. So juniors won't be selling too well.

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Well it depends about location&cities a lot. Ie. now they played in small cities like Leksand&Mora. Another city don't even have team in top league. I think in Finland there were at least good audience even in bigger stadiums.

well yah, in Russia and Czech republic, when the home teams play it's sold out, other teams? not even close.

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
That's why I don't understand why they organize a tournament where it won't even be sold-out...

And it's not like it was a Belarus-Switzerland game, it was USA VS the host team for the bronze!

And as I said, in the round robin, the whole section behind the nets was empty.

Even if Junior hockey isn't popular, it's still an international event. That's why I don't get the fact that the stands were not full.

Joretus

well yah, in Russia and Czech republic, when the home teams play it's sold out, other teams? not even close.

True. In Canada it's so much bigger sport, don't think it would be so big in US either when it comes to smaller teams.

Joretus

That's why I don't understand why they organize a tournament where it won't even be sold-out...

And it's not like it was a Belarus-Switzerland game, it was USA VS the host team for the bronze!

And as I said, in the round robin, the whole section behind the nets was empty.

Even if Junior hockey isn't popular, it's still an international event. That's why I don't get the fact that the stands were not full.

I would like to know why they had games in small cities(11k-20k inhibants). That won't help it I bet...

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg

And of course hockey isn't so big sport in Sweden is in ie. Canada&Finland where it's number one sport. So juniors won't be selling too well.

You can't compare the attention the finnish juniors are getting, with those of Canada. Two, different worlds. But i agree, it's bigger in Finland.

Joretus

You can't compare the attention the finnish juniors are getting, with those of Canada. Two, different worlds. But i agree, it's bigger in Finland.

I'm not comparing juniors, but hockey in general. It's number 1 sport in here and only sport which is showing some general international games(read EHT).

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
Canada is really the only country that gives a damn about the World Juniors on a national level. Most of Europe couldn't care less about junior-level hockey since there aren't dedicated programs for fans to cheer for; most junior club teams are simply offshoots of major club teams.

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Like others said, why where the games held in small cities instead of big cities like Stockholm or others... I know that Stockholm holds a big arena (Globen)...why wouldn't it be played there?

Joretus

Canada is really the only country that gives a damn about the World Juniors on a national level. Most of Europe couldn't care less about junior-level hockey since there aren't dedicated programs for fans to cheer for; most junior club teams are simply offshoots of major club teams.

Totally correct. As addition most of smaller junior clubs are just feeders for bigger junior clubs(which are direct feeders for their senior team which is playing in elite league).

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
It just can't be said enough: The WJHCs are huge in Canada, and nowhere else. By European standards, it was probably fairly well attended.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
I'd say a failure pretty much in all regards, play, attendence, arenas, location. Geez, I wish I was a free man to drive to Mora, but alas I am not...

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Does anyone else think it should be in Canada every year? I´d be curious to know what people from other countries think. The home-ice advantage might not be that big of a factor for Canada since the Canadians are always playing with way more pressure on them (if you do something stupid in this tourney, CDN fans wont forgive you for a long time). Also, I suspect some other players would prefer to play in front of 18,000. For most of the guys in the tournament it would be the biggest crowd they ever played in front of. I think if I was a player from Germany or Belarus I would want that.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site

Good God,

You Canadians will never understand, that unfortunately JWC is a very small tournament in all other countries. Not too me though... but im a juniorhockeynerd.

Here in Sweden WC is at least 10 times bigger... a tournament canadians don´t give a shiat about.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Does anyone else think it should be in Canada every year? I´d be curious to know what people from other countries think. The home-ice advantage might not be that big of a factor for Canada since the Canadians are always playing with way more pressure on them (if you do something stupid in this tourney, CDN fans wont forgive you for a long time). Also, I suspect some other players would prefer to play in front of 18,000. For most of the guys in the tournament it would be the biggest crowd they ever played in front of. I think if I was a player from Germany or Belarus I would want that.

Thats the stupidiest thing i have ever heard. The homeice-advantage is HUGE advantage in Canada... Basically all big tournaments played are always on canadian terms... and its already once every third year in JWC too...

Well except WC which is played on more fair ground, but thats a tournament canadians don´t care about so. Canadians haven´t exactly been eager to spread this sport... you are more intrested in keeping it the way it always has been. Which is fun for yourselves, but sad for the sport.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Thats the stupidiest thing i have ever heard. The homeice-advantage is HUGE advantage in Canada... Basically all big tournaments played are always on canadian terms... and its already once every third year in JWC too...

Well except WC which is played on more fair ground, but thats a tournament canadians don´t care about so. Canadians haven´t exactly been eager to spread this sport... you are more intrested in keeping it the way it always has been. Which is fun for yourselves, but sad for the sport.

Im not gonna stick my beak in. I find this discussion very interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->