WJC in Sweden 2006/2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

espo*

yeah I know we're quite good, but does that mean a medal or not?

I hear the talent level is higher then it's been for a long time with their entry this year but whether it translates into a medal of whatever colour is anyones guess.The heavy favourites going in are Canada and the U.S. but that does'nt mean they'll win anything either.

I've heard a lot of people slot Sweden in for a bronze.They'll at the very least likely have the best player in the tourney with Backstrom. Which leads me to a question,when a guy who is eligible for their junior team is already an impact player(some might say the best player) in Swedens domestic pro league how on earth does a guy like that get released by his team(who obviously need him) to play in the world junior tournament? Is the SEL season over by that time or just in break time during this time of the year? because when we get a guy like that who is in the nhl and contributing(let alone dominating)................forget it,he won't be on Team Canada,The NHL team will never release him. I mean, a guy like Crosby could play this year but of course there isn't a chance in hell we'll be seeing him in Sweden for the tournament.

Do the teams just accept that he should play for the national team and let him go or is their another explanation?

SChan*

I hear the talent level is higher then it's been for a long time with their entry this year but whether it translates into a medal of whatever colour is anyones guess.The heavy favourites going in are Canada and the U.S. but that does'nt mean they'll win anything either.

I've heard a lot of people slot Sweden in for a bronze.They'll at the very least likely have the best player in the tourney with Backstrom. Which leads me to a question,when a guy who is eligible for their junior team is already an impact player(some might say the best player) in Swedens domestic pro league how on earth does a guy like that get released by his team(who obviously need him) to play in the world junior tournament? Is the SEL season over by that time or just in break time during this time of the year? because when we get a guy like that who is in the nhl and contributing(let alone dominating)................forget it,he won't be on Team Canada,The NHL team will never release him. I mean, a guy like Crosby could play this year but of course there isn't a chance in hell we'll be seeing him in Sweden for the tournament.

Do the teams just accept that he should play for the national team and let him go or is their another explanation?

Backstrom will miss 5 games with Brynas which will be difficult indeed, but the club agreed to release him much because everyone here wants success in a WJC tournament again.

espo*

Backstrom will miss 5 games with Brynas which will be difficult indeed, but the club agreed to release him much because everyone here wants success in a WJC tournament again.

Thanks for the explanation.

LOL,but now I have another question.I was under the impression that the junior tournament is not that popular in Sweden with the general hockey loving public.It strikes me as odd brynas will release him considering the league is much more popular then that particular tournament.It sounds like the National club executives must have really put a hard sell on to brynas team managment to convince them to release a guy like that?I like that,it shows the club teams are able to put the good of the countries team ahead of the God Almighty dollar (something that is damn hard to convince owners over here to do once in awhile)

I'll have to assume that between good pressure from the national team and Backstroms wanting to play in it,this is what must have made it happen. is this the general consensus in the press there?

SChan*

Thanks for the explanation.

LOL,but now I have another question.I was under the impression that the junior tournament is not that popular in Sweden with the general hockey loving public.It strikes me as odd brynas will release him considering the league is much more popular then that particular tournament.It sounds like the National club executives must have really put a hard sell on to brynas team managment to convince them to release a guy like that?I like that,it shows the club teams are able to put the good of the countries team ahead of the God Almighty dollar (something that is damn hard to convince owners over here to do once in awhile)

I'll have to assume that between good pressure from the national team and Backstroms wanting to play in it,this is what must have made it happen. is this the general consensus in the press there?

There are 3 things with it:

1) The tournament is in sweden this year
2) swedish TV will broadcast the tournament for the first time in many years
3) Backstrom wants to play

espo*

There are 3 things with it:

1) The tournament is in sweden this year
2) swedish TV will broadcast the tournament for the first time in many years
3) Backstrom wants to play

All questions now answered.

Much obliged.

espo*

np. Sweden play Canada in the first match. Will be a reality check for sweden to see where they stand.

Yes,i would agree with that.On PAPER Canada has a very strong team going into this thing this year.

That first game will be a litmus test for us too.I'll be interested to see how this team that has a lot of returning guys reacts to the bigger ice and hostile crowds along with playing what maybe could be the strongest Swedish entry we've faced in some time. That first game should have great atmosphere and intensity and it will be very interesting to see how both teams respond as it should tell us a lot.

That game has the makings of a good one.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Seriously, i can't wait for the tournament to begin! :handclap:

Little less then a month to go. The first game will be vital. The most interesting thing with the swedish team, in my opinion, will be the discussion of our first goalie. Whom will it be?

SChan*

Seriously, i can't wait for the tournament to begin! :handclap:

Little less then a month to go. The first game will be vital. The most interesting thing with the swedish team, in my opinion, will be the discussion of our first goalie. Whom will it be?

should be such a great tournament! It is on SVT also!

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
The game(s) between Canada and Russia might get a bit interesting after last night, after all these years there is still so much hate there, over hockey, its crazy.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Rosters aside. I'm a little concerned about refeering. I mistakenly thought the changes to the Canadian game would bring it more in line with European standards.
But after watching five games of the Canada/Russia Challenge series. It seems the Russians are confused on how the CHL refs are calling the game. So maybe we're getting further apart?
Anyway I hope everyone is on the same page about how games will be called. I certainly don't want a repeat of Canada/Lativa in the last WC!

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
That's pretty impressive that the Swedish teams are letting players go play in the WJCs instead of their club teams, as Ali G would say, Respekt.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
I don't know what's so strange about Backstrom playing at the WJC... Europeans always let their best junior players to participate. It's only NHL that doesn't. Malkin was playing last year, Ovechkin the year before.

Eagle Eye Cherry

guitar player
Feb 19, 2006
Montreal
should be such a great tournament! It is on SVT also!

Yes. I hope it will be a great tournament...pour La Suisse!

I thought their performance last time was overlooked. I mean, they had a close game with Canada 4-3 albeit there were countless bad calls in that game.

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
Never been able to watch WJC before so this will be really interesting to follow, glad that SVT will be sending it (for non-swedes, it is a channel everyone in Sweden who has a TV has access to)

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
That's pretty impressive that the Swedish teams are letting players go play in the WJCs instead of their club teams, as Ali G would say, Respekt.
In Finland it is the same thing. I got to admit that I think Ässät will need their players during the games (5 games that time) but for players this is good thing.

espo*

yea but don't the canadian media always say that.

That this years edition of team Sweden at the WJC could be the best squad they have sent to this tourney in a long time?

No they don't.If they are seen to be strong the Canadian media will say they are very strong(like in 93) when they think they will be weak or mediocore such as over the last 5-6 years the Canadian media will voice that opinion too.

I think maybe you thought i was talking about what the Canadian media says about the Canadian team,i was'nt.If so, i still disagree,sure.......they ALWAYS say they will be at least a contender for Gold because let's face it,they usually are 99% of the time.That isn't bias,that's just the way it is.But no way does the Canadian media in any way say each squad sent to this tournament is the favourite going in year after year.Take last year for example,our media had the U.S as the early favourite to take it all and said our team had a chance at gold but had a better chance at simply just grabbing one of the medals because the team was so young and inexperienced.

Of course they eneded up winning so that just goes to validate what i told you up above about how they will always say the Canadian team has a shot.

Because they do of course. it's difficult to call Canadian media bias when they say each year we will have a decent shot to win because in reality we nearly always do,even when we are not favoured.It is Canada after all and it is hockey.

This should shock no-one,least of all a hockey fan.When Canada loses to some one like Switzerland in the olympics..................that is when people should be shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad