WJC Impact players???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bighurt2222

Oct 7, 2002
Visit site
Hey Guys,

With the WJC tournament quickly approaching, I was wondering what players we should be keeping an eye on. Of course there are some obvious choices: FLEURY, OVECHKIN, CROSBY, etc. But...who else do you think have a chance to make some noise?

Thanks in advance

BCCHL inactive

I wouldn't list Crosby as an "obvious choice". I remember when Spezza made it as a 16 year-old....he scored a bunch of points at the selection camp, and was the focus of all the hype (along with Bouwmeester) and expected to lead the team.....he played on the 4th line.

I'm not saying Crosby won't have an impact on this tournament, because it could happen. He just is not an "obvious choice" for an impact player.

Personally, I was going to say Kyle Brodziak as a surprise...but we all know what happened there.

If I have to take one, I am going to say Nigel Dawes. This guy's offensive abilities are so underrated it's not funny.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mobey said:
Patrick O'Sullivan

Good call. Other players from the U.S. squad I consider potential "impact" players for this tourney:

Ryan Suter
Danny Richmond
Zach Parise
Al Montoya
Ryan Kesler

leafaholix*

Robert Nilsson.
Hopefully the WJC is a turning point to a poor SEL season.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
Good call. Other players from the U.S. squad I consider potential "impact" players for this tourney:

Ryan Suter
Danny Richmond
Zach Parise
Al Montoya
Ryan Kesler

I'd say that James Wisniewski will probably have a bigger chance to be an impact defenseman than Danny Richmond. He's been better than Richmond in the OHL this year and he has a lot more experience in the international arena and more experience with the other players on Team USA.

Outside of that, I expect big things from Pat Eaves. He is often the best player on any US team he plays for in international competition. Him and O'Sullivan are dynamite together.

bighurt2222

Oct 7, 2002
Visit site
Good call on Dawes

Van said:
I wouldn't list Crosby as an "obvious choice". I remember when Spezza made it as a 16 year-old....he scored a bunch of points at the selection camp, and was the focus of all the hype (along with Bouwmeester) and expected to lead the team.....he played on the 4th line.

I'm not saying Crosby won't have an impact on this tournament, because it could happen. He just is not an "obvious choice" for an impact player.

Personally, I was going to say Kyle Brodziak as a surprise...but we all know what happened there.

If I have to take one, I am going to say Nigel Dawes. This guy's offensive abilities are so underrated it's not funny.

Great call on Dawes. The guy gets knocked because of his size all the time. He has so much talent and he's so fun to watch play. I hope he has a good tourney and finally gets some respect that he deserves.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
bighurt2222 said:
Hey Guys,

With the WJC tournament quickly approaching, I was wondering what players we should be keeping an eye on. Of course there are some obvious choices: FLEURY, OVECHKIN, CROSBY, etc. But...who else do you think have a chance to make some noise?

Thanks in advance

Parise and Stewart and Malkin and Steen and Vanek

Mark Pavelich

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Van said:

I agree, this guy has overcome so much the only thing that will eventually stop him from the NHL is the Rangers inability to develop players.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Van said:

Not to mention that TSN usually angles itself to "the little guy" in order to market that one player to keep an eye on.

Tootoo last year, Brandon Reid a few years ago off the top of my head.

Dawes is an excellent choice for someone to get a lot of exposure due to this tournament.

Another for Canada that I think will really show what he's worth is Mike Richards.

And a choice for outside team Canada would be Hannu Toivonen.

fredez

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Finland = Hannu Toivonen
Sweden = Alexander Steen
Czech = Petr Vrana
Swiss = Tim Ramholt
USA = Dan Fritsche
Austria = Mathias Lange
Canada = Jeff Tambellini

Status
Not open for further replies.