WJC Group B: Dec 31 GDT - Russia vs. Czech Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Thanks, Kaizer!

I just realized that once they reach the semi-finals, it will be a 4th game in 5 nights for either USA or Czech Republic while Russia should be fairly fresh as they are resting today and tomorrow, plus Kulemin should also be pretty rested :D

I hope this fatigue factor will be an edge that we take advantage of.

Misos Milakos*

MOGiLNY said:
It was on tv. I think O'Mara and somebody was talking about intimidating their opponents before the start of the tournament and I think after the Czech exhibition game.

If they are playing the right type of game, then last year's team played the wrong type of game.

There is a difference bettween saying all you want to do is intimidate your opponents to the point where it's your gameplan as you orginally said, and using it as part of your game. No game plan is entirely about intimidation, but intimdation can certainly be a big part of that game plan, as it should. You want your opponent to think twice about going into the corners when it comes time to battle for those pucks and win puck possession. You want your opponent to think twice about skating with their head down through the neutral zone. Your opponet should know that if they want to beat you, they will have to pay the physical price. Hockey the way it's meant to be played, sorry if you are too soft to handle it.

Actually last years team, played the exact same up tempo, physical, in your face type of game, they just had more skill to go along with the style, they were able to dominate games better offensively and convert more of their opportunities. The style of game did not really change at all...They were fast, they forchecked like hell, broke teams down on the cycle, creating opportunites off the cycle, forced teams to take penalites where they really showed a significant advantage over this years team, they were physical as hell, good positionally through the neutral zone, an excellent transition game, rock sold defensively and timely goaltending. It was Sutter hockey through and through, just as it is this year. All this team is a less skilled version, but they have their similarites no doubt about it. Maybe your memory fails you, but last year intimidation/physical play could be argued as much of a factor as it is this year. I seem to recall a Russian team getting pounded at every opportunity last year. Ovechkin in particular. Ever time he touched the puck, someone would close in on him and put the body on him, even Crosby, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I didn't say that last year's Canada didn't play physical hockey or wasn't careful defensively, but they were an extremely skilled team and they showed it with many pretty offensive plays and according to you, that's just an all-star stickhandling showcase.

This year's team has been all that minus any display of offensive skill.

Maybe that's why Canada's top scorer Boyd is 16th in tournament scoring. Last year, Canada had 3 players in top 5 scoring.

Misos Milakos*

MOGiLNY said:
I didn't say that last year's Canada didn't play physical hockey or wasn't careful defensively, but they were an extremely skilled team and they showed it with many pretty offensive plays and according to you, that's just an all-star stickhandling showcase.

Maybe that's why Canada's top scorer Boyd is 16th in tournament scoring. Last year, Canada had 3 players in top 5 scoring.

You said last years team played the wrong style, when in fact, they played the exact same just at a higher level with more skill. But last year, was last year, one of the best Junior teams ever assembled. Unreasonable to expect this years team to be able to match that, but this years team is getting the job done, outplaying the opposition in number of very important aspects of the game, and one game away from going to the gold which they stand a excellent chance of winning, which is the objective of the tournament, all in a year where some wrote us off as not even being a threat for a medal. Not too bad at all.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Highlights from the game: h ttp://rapidshare.de/files/10214882/2005.12.31_RUS_CZE_WJC2006.wmv.html

Goals on the video: Shirokov (Buravchikov), Voloshenko (Ketov), Malkin (Radulov), Zubov (Malkin), Lisin (Malkin). Malkin's assists and the goal are really impressive.

CCCR

Dec 20, 2005
Lithuania, and cali
Kaizer said:
Well, guys, here thoughts from review ;)

Don't pay too much attention to number of shots. It doesn't equal quality. Almost all of their (Czechs) shots were from perimeter and it was easy task for Khudobin, Imo.
Lemtyugov had 2 good chances in the first minutes but couldn't convert them. He played with Shirokov and Churilov, while without Kulemin first line was filled with Malkin, Radulov and Zubov. Then Lisin showed his great speed and outplayed Kindl very easy -> penalty for Kindl -> goal :D by Shirokov who battled on the slot and redirected shot from Buravchikov. He (Shirokov) reminds me Svatos. The same frame, the same style of play, the same little fearless dynamo but Shirokov isn't as good goalscorer as Svatos and hasn't as good hands but they are close, IMO. Then Malkin picked up puck on our bluline and skated through 4 Czechs like knife through butter but failed to score. We had tons of moments in the first but I don't remember them very good to describe. We just had tons of moments.
Our 2nd goal was created by Voloshenko. He forechecked 2 Czechs in their own zone, won the puck, passed it to Ketov, opened on the slot, received assist and passed the puck between Fiala's pads. Very nice goal by Roman. Then we had tons of moments too with Malkin, Lemtyugov, Radulov and others
3rd goal was a nice wristshot by Malkin, later he had magnificent assist to lonely Zubov on the slot through 2 or 3 Czechs (It was like his assist to Ovechkin at WC in game against Austia). Voloshenko's goal was just redirect - nothing special ;)
First Czechs goal was result of chaos in fron of our net, but it was good created... Krejci was very good in this moment and overall in moments he looked a lot more active than Frolik or Hanzal. Second goal was good wrister by Sobotka who outplayed Yemelin before and was rewarded with 2 cross-checks from Alexei for this impudence ;)
But we returned game under control very easy. First Malkin skated through 2 or 3 Czhechs as usually and assisted to Lisin who was alone in front of open net and later Radulov set the finale score : it was blast from the blue line or redirect and I couldn't see it better. That's all folks ;)

Actually, Fiala was damn good in the net for Czechs and despite being outshot we had way more chances to score. Just luck and Fiala saved Czehcs.

THANK YOU, for letting us know. how the game whent :)

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
MOGiLNY said:

Yes, this year's team played the same style as last years but unfortunately, this group of players in not as skilled obviously. Their plays are kind of boring as you can see and clearly lack finishing touch. They had a lot of scoring chances against the US but good grief, they just couldn't finish due to lack of creativity. I guess I was spoiled the last two years. Remember that two years ago the team was practically the same team as the one in 2005. The lost in 2004 was one of the most painful to watch IMO because their goals-against were weird, all kinds of unlucky bounces. IMO, the US was at best equal, but not superior.

I wish that I'm totally wrong but I doubt it. If we end up playing the US in the final, then we will have a better chance at the Gold. If it's against Russia though, I'm confident enough to say that there's no way Canada wins it. I have yet to see Russia's games but like always, Russians never lack skill. If you have any problem it is most probably individualism, goaltending and coaching.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
MOGiLNY said:
Canuck21t, that is exactly how I feel about this year's Canadian team. I've wanted to say it for a while now, but I was afraid that with the Russian flag in my profile, nobody would take my opinion seriously.
You are right to be concerned. Most Canadians won't ever accept that Canada can do wrong.

MOGiLNY said:
This year's team has shown very little offensive flair or finesse game. It's been all about goon style hockey and I think it would be a shame if they won the tournament playing like that.
Well a win is a win no matter how unimaginative it may be. If Canada wins with hard work, then I don't think there's anything shameful in that as long as there's at least a quality to talk about. If a team wins simply because of luck with no hard work and no skill, then that will be unfortunate.

Russia is always full of skill but, I don't always enjoy watching it because even if it shows us lots of individual flashy rushes and ends up nowhere, then it's not fun either. A good team to watch is a versitile team.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Slay said:
Highlights from the game: h ttp://rapidshare.de/files/10214882/2005.12.31_RUS_CZE_WJC2006.wmv.html

Goals on the video: Shirokov (Buravchikov), Voloshenko (Ketov), Malkin (Radulov), Zubov (Malkin), Lisin (Malkin). Malkin's assists and the goal are really impressive.
Slay, do I have to register to the site to download the videos? I'm at a lost everytime I'm there and can't find any videos.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Canuck21t said:
Slay, do I have to register to the site to download the videos? I'm at a lost everytime I'm there and kind find any videos.

No, you don't have to register there. Just push "Free" button at the bottom of the page and then just wait when the download link will appear, it will take several seconds (you'll see a countdown there).

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Slay said:
No, you don't have to register there. Just push "Free" button at the bottom of the page and then just wait when the download link will appear, it will take several seconds (you'll see a countdown there).
Oh! Thank you Slay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad