WJC Group B: Dec 29 GDT - Ukraine vs. Canada (0-10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

st_roland

Habsolution said:
Okay so let's see here ...

1st : 3 goals
2nd : 6 goals

3rd : ?

12 goals right ?

I like your math. Anyone else hoping for a CAN vs. USA final? How likely does that seem considering what we've seen so far?

Histrion

Feb 13, 2003
I hope Crosby scores the next one, he would already make history as he would score the 1000th goal by Canada at this competition. :D

habsfansam

Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere dark...?
littleD said:
Crosby's played great so far these first three games, but he's going to have to start passing the puck a bit more. He likes to stick handle through 3 and 4 players all the time.

hard to tell him not to (and get him to listen) when he can...

Les Zarbites

littleD said:
Crosby's played great so far these first three games, but he's going to have to start passing the puck a bit more. He likes to stick handle through 3 and 4 players all the time.

He's made some aweesome passes too. But his linemates keep not getting open and when they do they usually get a pass. He could have 6-7 assists by now.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Enoch said:
Why? This is the WJC and the kids have to set good work ethics for bigger games along the road. If they aren't performing as well as they should, then we have every right to criticize them. Just because you will settle for sub-par efforts does not mean that I and many others have to. :shakehead. I'm not alone in my criticisms anyways, listen to the announcers while watching the game, and you will see that the Canadiens were not performing up to their expectations either.

A game like Ukraine may be important for some reason (Like you said). But we need to not overrated this game. Remember in the last olympic, we struggles against Germany... But won the gold....

Russia (I don't see the game, maybe they played fairly well) doesn't seem to show off tonigth against Austrian... I was hoping to see this "bad" against Canada... in Final :( LOL

If i'm rigth, if we lose against the Czech by 1 or two goals, we get the pass... No?

Cause we win Finland by 3 .... Finland beat Czech by 1

If we lose by 2 goals wednesday...

Finland (-3+1 = -2)
Czech (+2-1= 1)
Canada (+3 -2 =1)

No, we can't lose by two....

If we lose by 1

Finland (-3+1 = -2)
Czech (+1-1= 0)
Canada (+3 -1 =2)

Bud The Spud*

SpezNc said:
A game like Ukraine may be important for some reason (Like you said). But we need to not overrated this game. Remember in the last olympic, we struggles against Germany... But won the gold....

Russia (I don't see the game, maybe they played fairly well) doesn't seem to show off tonigth against Austrian... I was hoping to see this "bad" against Canada... in Final :( LOL

If i'm rigth, if we lose against the Czech by 1 or two goals, we get the pass... No?

Cause we win Finland by 3 .... Finland beat Czech by 1

If we lose by 2 goals wednesday...

Finland (-3+1 = -2)
Czech (+2-1= 1)
Canada (+3 -2 =1)

No, we can't lose by two....

If we lose by 1

Finland (-3+1 = -2)
Czech (+1-1= 0)
Canada (+3 -1 =2)

I thought that we need to tie or beat the Czech to get the pass. Now, I am not sure :dunno:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Is the first breaker goal differential or total goals?

I missed the score on this one by a goal, figured 11-0 Canada. Either way, good game offensively. MUCH better balance on the scoring in this game for Canada, although one would expect that against Ukraine.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Is the first breaker goal differential or total goals?

I missed the score on this one by a goal, figured 11-0 Canada. Either way, good game offensively. MUCH better balance on the scoring in this game for Canada, although one would expect that against Ukraine.
If Czechs Finland and Canada have a three way tie then it's goal differential between those three teams so Canada is +3 right now after the win over Finland. Czechs are -1 and the Fins -2. That is what TSN said during the game.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Enoch said:
Why? This is the WJC and the kids have to set good work ethics for bigger games along the road. If they aren't performing as well as they should, then we have every right to criticize them. Just because you will settle for sub-par efforts does not mean that I and many others have to. :shakehead. I'm not alone in my criticisms anyways, listen to the announcers while watching the game, and you will see that the Canadiens were not performing up to their expectations either.

Why - because the Ukraine team would have a hard time playing a midget team back in Canada, and the players know it and play about as hard as they need to. It was a glorified practice and nothing more. So the "sub-par effort" you are apparently worried about does not worry me as much and I think it is a joke that some people apparently wanted the score run up to the 20-30 goal range which is what would have happened if Canada had played to their potential.

What is more of a concern is that this is now three games in a row where the play is at a lower level than most of these players have seen all year and I agree with you that the work ethic for bigger games is at risk. I just don't know how you fix it when you have the Swiss and Ukranians and even the Finns putting in teams that would not have a hope of playing over here.

The one positive is that by the game against the Czechs, all traces of jet lag and adjustments should be done.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Bud The Spud said:
I thought that we need to tie or beat the Czech to get the pass. Now, I am not sure :dunno:

The first tie-breaker is goal differental in games between the countries which are tied( Finland, Canada, Czech's)

Canada is currently +3 ( beat Finland 3-0)
Finland is currently -2 ( beat Czech's 3-2, lost to Canada 0-3)
Czech's are currently -1 ( lost to Finland 2-3)

Don't forget though, the Czech's still have to beat the Swiss tomorrow in order to make Wednesday's game meaningfull. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Swiss win that game.

If the Czech's were to win that game, they would then have to beat the Canada by more than 1 goal to get the top spot in the pool. I'm not too sure what would happen if they had the same goal differental, perhaps it would go to a second tie breaker to which I am uncertain of.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Koltsov said:
Don't forget though, the Czech's still have to beat the Swiss tomorrow in order to make Wednesday's game meaningfull. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Swiss win that game."

If the Swiss beat the Czechs (which would shock me, but then again I did not expect the Finns to beat them), then we should have nothing to worry about when we play the Czechs. The Canadians have not even had to go past second gear yet - the worry is that they will not learn how to as a team by the time they play the US or Russians when it will matter.

NWT Habs Fan

Apr 25, 2003
Edmonton, AB
Visit site
I hope the team is preparing to win it, and leave nothing up to chance. Tie breaker options are for hockey analysts during the game and fans in between games. The best way is to win it fair and square, with the destiny in your own hands.

Although Canada has played to the level of its competition somewhat, it still has solid goaltending, good and big defence, and nice big, cycling forwards. That will give the Czech team all they can handle, and this coaching staff will have Canada up for that game. I predict it doesn't go to tie breakers...Canada wins the group.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
Can't say I'm disapointed, the boys showed some heart as the game could of been a lot worse then just 10-0. Illia Tarankov played well for Ukraine in the later stages of the game making some key saves. Oleksandr Shevchenko didn't play too bad, especially playing with a defencemans stick for most the game as his stick broke early in the game and had no more.

Considering how financially troubled the Ukraine is (let alone the Ukrainian Federation of Hockey) you can't bad-mouth this young kids, considering how food is a luxury and the living conditions could be a lot better.

Someday Ukraine will finally be fully healed and hopefully they will be able to rebuild the hockey program, and produce players in there home country and as they grow into stars they remember there homeland, and represent Ukraine at the international level...

BG43

Mar 15, 2002
Visit site
Great game. I love this tournament. I love watching Canada play..

Huge win today!!

Paille with 2.. atta boy!!!!! Keep it going.. I would love for Gold... last time Canada got gold in the WJC.. Biron was one of the goalies and that was in '97. It's been far too long.

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
Am I the only one of think that the ukranian's 2nd goalie (Ilya Tarankov)
was not too bad during this game. I think he stopped 45 of the 51 canadian shots, with really really bad d-men. And he's been selected the player of the game for the ukrenians.

zherdev is ukrainian!

All the good Ukrainians were likely on the Russian team. Good effort by the secong goalie nevertheless

TopGun12

Dec 22, 2003
Was I the only one that thought Getzlaf looked terrible in this game. Even if it was against weaker opponents, he could of at least gave it a little effort. Just my thoughts. To me he looked like the worst guy on Canada this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad