WJC Group B: Dec 26 GDT - Canada vs. Finland (3-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
The first period was a decent performance by Finland and the mistakes by Canada's defence allowed them to generate some scoring opportunities, too bad Lepistö and Bergenheim couldn't capitalize. The Finns pushed the opposing forwards to the corners, but Phaneuf's goal showed what would happen more often later: even though the Canadians couldn't just leave the corners and boards with the puck, they would still be strong enough wrestlers to send the puck bouncing to the slot. That together with (certain) Finnish defensemen's unwillingness to defend the crease and that Toivonen spat most of the shots back cost Finland the game.

At the other end of the rink things changed during the first intermission too. Canada suddenly had a sturdy square of defenders in their zone and as Finland's passing was atrocious, the attempts at heroism were easily thwarted. Don't even get me started about line cohesion. Canada didn't even have to dominate, they would've taken the points with just counterattacks.

Finland was obviously expecting a bombardment similar to last year judging by their eagerness to hit in the beginning of the game. When Canada settled with "invisible" physical dominance, the Finns would cool down too.

Fleury looks more experienced than last year and played almost flawless, except that he needed a lot of luck to save him on half a dozen occasions.

Jalasvaara, Varakas and Salmela are trying to do what Jääskeläinen, Timonen and Immonen did last year: Ruin the tournament for the team. Like Teme said, Finland should stick with Lepistö, Kalteva, Korpikari and Kantee in the defense until they die of exhaustion. Canada seemed to do fine with just Coburn, Phaneuf and Meech. Salmela's performance was one of the worst I've seen by any skater at any level. Unfortunately, I don't think Aravirta has the heart to scratch him. Canada has never had and will never had a team so bad (read: average) that they couldn't score with opportunities like those.

Petrell-Piispanen-Tukonen was ineffective, even more so when Tukonen and the team's worst forward, Oksa, swapped lines. What's more, I don't think Töykkälä, Immonen and Marjamäki even saw each other on the ice.

Filppula, by the way, showed flashes of absolute brilliance. The worst hockey player in existence who can match his stickhandling is Jesse Niinimäki, and the twig he used to be was one of the best if not the best Finn in the corners.

chicpea*

Epsilon said:
I'm already sick of Pierre McGuire just reading recaps of his commentary on here. :joker:
You are too right. At least he didn't confuse WWF and hockey today as he often does in his other broadcasts, but he was still almost annoying enough to make me turn off the sound on my favourite tourney of the year. How I wish it were Bob Cole and Harry Neale instead. :(
Oh well, at least we weren't subjected to 'monster' performers...

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
chicpea said:
You are too right. At least he didn't confuse WWF and hockey today as he often does in his other broadcasts, but he was still almost annoying enough to make me turn off the sound on my favourite tourney of the year. How I wish it were Bob Cole and Harry Neale instead. :(
Oh well, at least we weren't subjected to 'monster' performers...

Frankly I'm surprised we weren't, although McGuire would probably just make Phaneuf the monster after every period for the entire tournament, so perhaps they just decided to save time and leave it out.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Hate to knock on the kid because he at least seems to be trying, but Jalasvaara is just plain useless on both ends (does that make him a two-way player?) Aravirta likes to play everybody, but he is not blind and I hope by the quarter finals (assuming we make them) he'll shorten the bench. BTW, I thought the top two lines were supposed to be Piiispanen - Filppula - Bergenheim and Marjamäki - Immonen - Tukonen, what happened? Scorer, grinder, playmaker has worked for decades. If Piispanen or Tukonen can't score, try Nokelainen or Junnila (sure he is a midget, but it doesn't really matter that much on this level.) I'd also like to see four forwards with Lepistö on PP.

eh

What a terrible effort by Team Finland. The first period was ok, they still had the crowd with them and even a couple of scoring chances. The goal was result of too many mistakes in one shift: sloppy play in the corner, sloppy attempt of icing the puck, sloppy turnover behind the net, sloppy marking, ... There's no way a team like Canada wouldn't penalize for that amount of mistakes.

The same goes for all the Canadian goals. They had some scoring chances which resulted from brilliant plays, but all the goals were caused by sloppy/crappy play of Team Finland. With a little worse luck and goaltending, it could've been much worse.

The team doesn't seem to have one defenseman who could actually give that first pass tape-to-tape and early enough. How many well organized attacks did Team Finland have in the whole game, 5-on-5 (not that the powerplay was anything to write home about). None that I can remember.

The Canadian defense was great. They always had one guy below the puck and their physical superiority forced the Finns to dump the puck on the blueline almost every time. They rarely got away with the puck from the corners, so it wasn't much use chasing it after the dump.

It also seemed that not one of the Finnish wingers was skillful enough to catch a long, difficult pass. Bergenheim lost a couple 1-on-1, 2-on-1 or 2-on-2 opportunities because he just couldn't handle the puck, Tukonen wasn't much better.

After seeing the skill level of the Czech team (albeit against an incompetent opponent), it's easy to predict a long and a tough evening for the little lions on Sunday. They'll have to be different team altogether if they want to even progress from the group stage.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Epsilon
I'm already sick of Pierre McGuire just reading recaps of his commentary on here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's easy to be critical but I had a hard time believing what I was hearing. Dion Phaneuf played a great game and didn't need his #1 fan blurting out silly comments on his behalf while doing the colour commentary.

Upchuck19

May 6, 2003
Visit site
I just found this site and am very impressed with all the Finland fans english and quality of writing. Glad to hear from all across the pond.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
teme said:
Random notes on Canada: absolutely owned the Finns on faceoffs. Very strong play deep on both ends. OTOH, you're going to get your ass kicked against Czechs or Russians standing around like that, Finns basicly walked through neutral zone and I wonder what Hudler and guys can do with space like that. (BTW, did they show his goal against Ukraine on TSN?) Also, who is the go to guy offencively? Crosby?

Anyway, congrats to our friends on the other side of the pond, with Fleury and those dmen you'll go far.

cheers,
teme

About faceoffs, I don't know what it is but the way I remember it, Finland always get's owned in face-offs.. Always, WC's, Olympics, Juniors, you name it.. In Salt Lake only Helminen had a win-loss % of better than 50% in face-offs, in the crucial quarter final against Canada, when the game was 2-1 and the last 12 or so minutes left, from then on Canada won every single face-off to the end of the game, and we never had a chance to win it (coudn't win a face-off in the offensive zone and thus put pressure, but rather lose the puck and work for it for a whole minute to get it while the clock is ticking..)

I don't know, guess we need to send our coaches to some workshop in Canada to learn how to teach face-offs.. we always lose them, and it sucks big time..

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Horrible game by team Finland.Forwards couldn't execute simple passes, Defenseman constantly coughed up the puck and couldn't clear the Canadians from the front of the net.In the offensive zone nobody seemed willing to go to the net.Finland should have scored at least once (Lepistö hit the post, Fleury fumbled a shot that barely missed the net and Filppula somehow managed to miss a open net).Canada played a very sound defensive game, but I agree with Laituri that this is the most mediocre Canadian WJC team I've seen in several years. The thing that stood out to me was the lack of skill and creativety among the forwards aside from Crosby.The reason they won this game was because they were psycically superior.I'm not saying team Finland is more skilled, which it clearly isn't, but Canada will be in trouble against an Ovechin led Russia.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Raimo Sillanpää said:
About faceoffs, I don't know what it is but the way I remember it, Finland always get's owned in face-offs.. Always, WC's, Olympics, Juniors, you name it.. In Salt Lake only Helminen had a win-loss % of better than 50% in face-offs, in the crucial quarter final against Canada, when the game was 2-1 and the last 12 or so minutes left, from then on Canada won every single face-off to the end of the game, and we never had a chance to win it (coudn't win a face-off in the offensive zone and thus put pressure, but rather lose the puck and work for it for a whole minute to get it while the clock is ticking..)

I don't know, guess we need to send our coaches to some workshop in Canada to learn how to teach face-offs.. we always lose them, and it sucks big time..

They must feed their kids something extra. Even Hayley Wickenheiser was dominating the face off circle when she played here. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->