WJC Group B: Dec 26 GDT - Canada vs. Finland (3-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
-HIFK- said:
Boy does our team miss players like Tuomo Ruutu and Joni Pitkänen...

As expected, Bergenheim and Filppula (not Fillipula) were the best Finns out there. It shows, that one of them plays in the NHL, and the other one is in a key role in a Finnish SM-League- team.

Toivonen did a really good impression of Kari Lehtonen, one guy who I thought Finland would miss the most.

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
go pierre hedin said:
I don't think he meant it as an excuse.
Oh ok i tought it was, well sorry.Some may think im crazy but i think Sidney Crosby was the best foward for Canada.He created a lot of chance for is teamate and he showed great move.I see alot of progression in his game.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
L3DZ3P said:
Oh ok i tought it was, well sorry.Some may think im crazy but i think Sidney Crosby was the best foward for Canada.He created a lot of chance for is teamate and he showed great move.I see alot of progression in his game.
I dont think he was the best forward but he did play a good game. He got better as the game went on and he should play better as the tournament goes on. He created a lot of chances especially in the third.

L3DZ3P said:

Crosby certainly played well and made a couple of dazzling moves (especially coming out of the corner with a defender hanging off of him) and plays strong for a 16-year old. But I'd take Richards as the best forward for that game. Great on the forecheck and played really well overall in the offensive zone.

Faaxinho

Dec 2, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Something about Finnish players:
Bergenheim - best from Finland, was able to create some chances.
Filppula - Good game alongside Bergenheim, these two were clearly the best from Finland.
Toivonen - was unable to stop the goals, although second one was a bit easy. Didn't get much help from defence.

Other players worth of mention :
Tukonen - Good skating, but no real chances
Junnila - Replaced Piispanen in the third period. Skating was good although it was ineffective buzzing.
Marjamäki - Played quite physically, but in skills was no big number tonight

Strange :
Kalteva - looks like Aki Berg in the ice (huge, almost standing) and he has Aki's usual number : 5

-HIFK-

L3DZ3P said:
I think Rutuu and Piktanen are too old.But canada miss Bouchard,Horton,Staal,Bergeron and NASH so this is not an excuse.
Like I said, boy does our team miss players like Tuomo Ruutu and Joni Pitkänen.

I know all too well that they´re too old to play in these games anymore, and that´s exactly what worries me. Where are the next Ruutu and Pitkänen amongst Finnish juniors? Bergenheim can´t win these games alone.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Hannu Toivunen may turn out to be the best goalie in this tournament because he is going to be tested alot!!

Fleury isnt' going to get much work and i think Toivunen will out perform him.

Toivunen looks like a Luongo clone to me!

Very impressed!
Unbiased Canadian

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
A few random comments:

Stewart and Richards were the two best forwards on the ice by a significant margin. They controlled the play when on the ice, and worked the cycle which exhausted the Finnish defence. Stewart is intimidating just becuase of his size and speed combo, and was around the net all night. Richards did everything Stewart did but what also impressed me about him was his defensive play and penalty killing ability. Stewart creates space for Richards and more importantly Dawes, and that line was fantastic all game.

The Carter-Getzlaf-Burns line showed a lot, but they'll have to do more. Unlike Stewart and Richards, they were impressive without creating tons of scoring chances. A few too many little moves, but if they keep it a little more simple, they'll be dominant as well. Burns wasn't the player of the game, although he was impressive.

Crosby was as I expected. Not too much ice time (aka pressure), but he still produced offence. What continues to impress me is his lower body strength when driving to the net. Tambellini is incredibly fast, although I'm not sure how good his hands are. Kind of reminds me of Todd Marchant, not a bad thing though.

Paille was the best of the group of "checkers", if you want to call them that. He's quick, shifty and physical, and will score some big goals. Brent was more or less invisible and Colliton's a good PK guy, and was a better skater than I expected, but he's not much offensively. Talbot is a smart player who's value is not going to be seen on the scoresheet, although he didn't have his best game. Finally Dixon was solid, especially on the PK. He's smart and can create offence, but he seems a bit too tentative at this point. My bet is he'll be much better next year.

As for the defence, obviously Phaneuf was impressive, although I'd still take Coburn (and Suter) over him. What Phaneuf did though, was play relaxed, he wasn't running around and throwing himself out of position. He played with fire but he wasn't all over the place, soemthing he has clearly worked on.

Coburn and Seabrook are the best defensive pairing. Coburn's name was barely heard, but that's what you'd expect. He's smart, strong and makes a great first pass, and reminds me of some sort of morph between Wade Redden and Jiri Fischer.

Belle was ok, although I'm not sure what type of defenceman he wants to be. He seems more suited to being an offensive type with his skating and shot, but doesn't seem to be comfortable jumping up.

Gorges was impressive. He is doing what Ian White did last year on the powerplay, plus he's better defensively and is a bigger player (thus able to play a more regular shift) than White was last year. He still needs to get stronger, but will be fine in this tournament.

Meech was ok, although I think he's better off when concentrating on defence. He tried to skate the puck out of the zone every now and then, and it wasn't that succesful. Playing with Phaneuf, he needs to focus on defence, not try to produce offence.

I'd like to see Klein play more, and he probably will against teams like Russia and the United States because he provides more size than Gorges or Meech.

Good game, Canada was very good although Finland isn't the main competition this year.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Observations from todays game:

Finland: Bergenheim was impressive as he was last year. he was really the only Finn skater that stood out to me. He'll be a good one for the Isles.

Toivunen, he looks like a keeper for the Bruins. Game could easilty have been 5 or 6 zip.

Canada: Richards-Dawes & Stewart was the best line. Although Stewart had 2 points, I actually though Dawes & Richards were better.

For my money Richards was the best forward on the ice.

Carter, Getzlaf & Burns - started slowly but got better and better as the game went on. Used their size well. Carter didn't use his speed as much as I would have liked. Carter was just dominant on the face-off, I'm not sure if he lost one all night

Crosby - he did some nice things, strong on his legs and greta balance for someone his size.

Phaneuf - very impressive, as good as advertised.

xmonolithx

Dec 23, 2003
Canada(where else?!)
Visit site
DieHard said:
Biggest problem TEam Finland had was the lack of good puck moving d-man. Last year the had Pitkänen who could either skate or pass the forward in to good scoring chance but this year there's none. Canada's big forwards were able to get lots of pressure because of this and especially the first goal was a direct result of this.

Congratulations to Team Canada, I hope Team Finland does better against Czechs.

Btw, very physical 1st period, I was glad to see that Finland matched Canada very well physically giving back everything that Canada throwed at them. If we can play this 'Canadian' style game against the rest of team in our group, I think we're going to be just fine.

The Finns played the "Canadian style" for 1 period. Their defence were running scared after the first goal. No mental toughness whatsoever. They were obviously bailing out on the Can forecheckers. Richards beats 2 Finns easily for the puck behind the net!!! 14 shots?! YIKES! Better hope the Czech team gets the flu like St Louis did against Van City in the playoffs last year. Czech-Canada game will probably be the best round robin game if the Americans don't stay outa the box vs the Russians. Americans must have mailed that ex game in. Awful performance by the Fins.

billabong55

Dec 8, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Congratulations to Team Canada on a solid start. As the game went on, you could see the players becoming more used to the ice, and each other.

I thought the whole team played well, considering it was their first game. Some players were more noticable than others, but I don't think anyone had a horrible game.

As the game went on you could notice Crosby getting stronger, and in the third period I think he had 3 good scoring chances. I'm not really setting goals for him point wise. I think he's capable of putting up a lot of points in the tournament, but he's only 16 so I won't be disappointed if he doesn't.

I was most impressed by Stewart, Richards and Dawes, especially Stewart. He's so strong and able to create room out there, and it was nice to see that line get a goal.

As for Fleury, he didn't face many shots, but he made the saves he needed to and that's all we can ask. I think we all know what he's capable of, so I have no worries where he's concerned.

It was a fun game to watch and I can't wait til Sunday.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I'll try to catch a replay of this game in a little bit. Sounds like the top line for Canada put in a really strong performance.

I'm already sick of Pierre McGuire just reading recaps of his commentary on here. :joker:

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Random musing, from Finn side.
The guys looked nervous. Too tentative on forecheck, little point in dumping if you are not going to chase. Too afraid of penalties, lay the timber forgodsake, our PK is good and the ref was letting a lot slide. Made the Stewart line look like Legion of Doom. Too much hurry in moving the puck, they weren't that out of space. Filppula was good, as was Bergenheim and Immonen too. Piispanen was awful in own end, he is not on the team to play D, move him to wing already. Tukonen skates and holds the puck like star, but he needs to shoot it or loan it instead of trying to beat the other team one-on-one. Toivonen was excellent, as expected.

Random notes on Canada: absolutely owned the Finns on faceoffs. Very strong play deep on both ends. OTOH, you're going to get your ass kicked against Czechs or Russians standing around like that, Finns basicly walked through neutral zone and I wonder what Hudler and guys can do with space like that. (BTW, did they show his goal against Ukraine on TSN?) Also, who is the go to guy offencively? Crosby?

Anyway, congrats to our friends on the other side of the pond, with Fleury and those dmen you'll go far.

cheers,
teme

Stock Rocks

Feb 27, 2002
Billerica, Mass.
Visit site
Hannnnnnnnnnnnuuuu!!!

This kid is awesome!

I've seen him several times in Providence this season, including his shutout over Lowell, so I'm not surprised he looked good against Canada. He just gets up for big games...

I'm really glad to hear so many noticing what an excellent goalie he is. Because of all the pre-draft hype that Deslauriers and Stephan got, the Bruins were ridiculed by the "experts" (rolleye guy) when they grabbed Toivonen ahead of those two in Toronto, but -shock- it now looks like the B's might have known what they were doing.

Anyway- what makes Toivonen so good is that he has it all- size, athleticism, technique and a very good head for both the game and mental toughness to overcome adversity. He's going to be a very good player for the Bruins, and I'm glad to see him doing well in front of his hometown fans.

If you want to read more about him, go over to:

www.hockeyjournal.com

Kirk Leudeke has written a very detailed and insightful article on him. And, I would also point out that when the Bruins picked Hannu, he was one of the few writers who didn't lambaste the team for "reaching" as many others did.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
Mizral said:
Dion Phaneuf - The best player on the ice. Perhaps the funniest moment of the game was when Peirre Maguire (colour commentator) just said, 'No way that's ever going to work (or something similar)' as a Finnish player tried to dangle through Phaneuf's legs. Dion was the dominant player on the ice tonight.

Agreed. I forget what exactly he said but it was pretty funny.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
teme said:
Random notes on Canada: absolutely owned the Finns on faceoffs. Very strong play deep on both ends. OTOH, you're going to get your ass kicked against Czechs or Russians standing around like that, Finns basicly walked through neutral zone and I wonder what Hudler and guys can do with space like that. (BTW, did they show his goal against Ukraine on TSN?) Also, who is the go to guy offencively? Crosby?

Anyway, congrats to our friends on the other side of the pond, with Fleury and those dmen you'll go far.

cheers,
teme

A note on the Czechs,

I still think they are the most overrated team in the tournament this year. Sure, they can beat a small, soft, and untalented bunch in the Ukraine, but how are they going to answer the massive forwards and defensemen of the Canadians? Getzlaf/Carter/Burns, I predict, will just destroy the Czechs up ice, and Phaneuf should be pounding them in our zone.

Of the teams in the WJC, only the Russians and the Americans scare me, as a Team Canada fan.

The go to guy offensivly is probobly either Getzlaf, Carter, or Burns. Crosby is way down the list. Getzlaf is a straight away 'to the net' forward with great size and speed. Carter is more of a 'Joe Thornton'-like player, but shoots a lot more. Burns is a real dynamite player with the puck, and is similar to Getzlaf, though I think he's even better. All three of these guys I'd take over any Czech forward in this tournament, simply because they not only combine smooth offensive ability, but grinding physicality that guys like Hudler simply do not have.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
The Czech's may not be the best team in the tournament, but the game between them and Canada will definitly be close. The offence of the Czech's is very explosive leading the way is Jiri Hudler, Tomas Fleischmann and Rostislav Olesz. But your right about Canada's forwards and they should be able to get through the Czech's defence which lacks some depth. It will intersting to see how Schwarz will handle Canada's presuit to the net...

I expect a score around 6-4 Canada...

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Outstanding and very impressive game for Canada.

I won't really say anything detailed because most of the posters here have already said everything.

The only thing I'll rehash is that after this tournament, Mike Richards is going to get a lot more exposure as a prospect. He's so underrated, but as you can see, he does pretty much everything right and he's got good offensive skills to boot.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Reading most of the reviews, people are saying Bergenheim had a strong game...I thought he played absolutely atrocious. He couldn't get a thing done at all it seemed, but that's just me. I think maybe I only noticed when he failed to do something.

As a note in general, the Finns defencemen were atrocious. As a group, they seemed completely unable to get around the fore checkers, or clear the puck from the zone. I don't know how many times a Canadian got a stick on a clearing attempt before the puck got to the blueline.

Toivannen played amazing, and really opened my eyes to him.

I found it a pretty entertaining game, a good showing by both teams I felt...I think that both squads played fairly well. I am not discounting the Finns as having an outside shot at medalling either.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Mizral said:
A note on the Czechs,

I still think they are the most overrated team in the tournament this year. Sure, they can beat a small, soft, and untalented bunch in the Ukraine, but how are they going to answer the massive forwards and defensemen of the Canadians? Getzlaf/Carter/Burns, I predict, will just destroy the Czechs up ice, and Phaneuf should be pounding them in our zone.

What I was trying say is that unlike Finns, Czechs have enough skill in their roster this year to convert on the chances they get. Sure Canada dominated for some parts of the game but Finns also had their breaks, and would've had more if it wasn't for sloppy opening passes. A more skilled team would've made this a very close game.

Year after year, it seems that countries find the same ways to self destruct. Partly due to limited supply of high skill players, partly due to incistence on playing more polished two-way players, Finns have trouble scoring. Russians field twenty guys trying to stick handle through the other team. Problem with Canada, and to lesser extent US too, is that North American players tend to have major trouble with fast transition game on international ice and this years entry seems to be no exception.

Don't get me wrong, after Finns I'm rooting for Canada, it's just that you can't allow Czechs or Russians to pick up full speed with the puck at neutral ice like that.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
One more thing. More than Pitkänen we miss kind of solid unsceptacular dmen like Seikola and Kukkonen, same story last year. I don't know what happened, we used to have a steady supply. As for this years team, they need to find some scoring. Sure, they are less than ideal all around players but we got to get something out of Tukonen, Piispanen and/or Junnila. Couple relatively easy games next, time to experiment. That, and play Kalteva, Kantee, Korpikari and Lepistö as much as possible. (We're playins seven dmen?! We got maybe three!!!)

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
Thanks everybody for the game reports. Hossa and Mizral those were both great write-up's, thank you. For the first time since I can remember, I will not be able to watch game's religiously, watching every game they show on TV, as I do not have cable telvision this year.

So reading all these reports are great, and good to see Canada win, just sad I couldn't watch it:(

Oh well, thanks again everybody who posted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->