WJC Group A: Dec 28 GDT - USA vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeydad15

May 1, 2004
Bryanbryoil said:
I predict 7-3 USA, Schremp 2-2-4, Kessel 2-1-3, Ryan 2-1-3, J.Johnson 1-2-3 will be the scoring leaders.
This is what the #1 pp line should be, plus 1 more D. #1 pp just not working. Schremp and Kessel were very impressive together. Looked like Schremp hasn't lost many face-offs first 2 games. Lots of truth about Ryan and the O. Just got done watching the game on sportsnet. Way to almost blow it coach!!! Who was out there on the face off when finland scored their 5th goal?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Raimo Sillanpää said:
*shrug* I'd cheer for the little guy who'se down by 10 goals regardless of who they're playing..

gotta give the kids a break

I would too, but there's a lot more to it than that and I think you know it. If Canada is up 7 goals on Norway I highly doubt that the fans in Vancouver are all of a sudden going to have a change of heart and start cheering for the little underdogs. The "cheering for the underdogs" excuse is a little weak. The fans are cheering against the US team because they want to see the Americans lose. It's not about wanting to see an upset, because those same fans will be cheering on the high-powered Canadian team whenever it faces a much weaker opponent.

Not that there is anything wrong with any of that, but let's at least be honest about it.

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
Dr Quincy said:
I would too, but there's a lot more to it than that and I think you know it. If Canada is up 7 goals on Norway I highly doubt that the fans in Vancouver are all of a sudden going to have a change of heart and start cheering for the little underdogs. The "cheering for the underdogs" excuse is a little weak. The fans are cheering against the US team because they want to see the Americans lose. It's not about wanting to see an upset, because those same fans will be cheering on the high-powered Canadian team whenever it faces a much weaker opponent.

Not that there is anything wrong with any of that, but let's at least be honest about it.

True very very True

Rounder

Jan 23, 2005
Ryan played BETTER. Somewhere in between's Mr Prescription's scathing hatred and GagneOwnsU's creepy mancrush. He made a horrible turnover on the second Finnish goal, he also made a nice shot on the assist from Kessel. McDonald...I like you, man...but to say he's the second most talented player on the American team is...absurd. He got plenty of icetime tonight, and played a so-so game. He's young yet, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

For the record Ryan had 3 points on 7( yes I said 7 shifts), that is not plenty of ice time. Ryan and Schremp did not see the ice after the 15 minute mark of the 3rd period, that was after Ryan had 3 pts. on the preceeding 4 shifts. The bias towards players from the Canadian Leagues is why the U.S.A will not win Gold with the most talent.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Rounder said:
Ryan played BETTER. Somewhere in between's Mr Prescription's scathing hatred and GagneOwnsU's creepy mancrush. He made a horrible turnover on the second Finnish goal, he also made a nice shot on the assist from Kessel. McDonald...I like you, man...but to say he's the second most talented player on the American team is...absurd. He got plenty of icetime tonight, and played a so-so game. He's young yet, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

For the record Ryan had 3 points on 7( yes I said 7 shifts), that is not plenty of ice time. Ryan and Schremp did not see the ice after the 15 minute mark of the 3rd period, that was after Ryan had 3 pts. on the preceeding 4 shifts. The bias towards players from the Canadian Leagues is why the U.S.A will not win Gold with the most talent.

Oh, please. Schremp and Ryan aren't exactly known for being defensive stalwarts, even the Canadian commentators noted that much. It was a closer game than it needed to be, and the USA was protecting the lead. I wouldn't want those guys out there playing defensive hockey, either. Schremp especially was out there almost constantly when the Americans were down and even when it was tied. I know that there's this perceived "bias," but give it up already. Just because they play in the CHL doesn't mean they're the best players on the team. Ryan has genuinely looked mediocre in the time he's played, points or not.

Rounder

Jan 23, 2005
nomorekids said:
Oh, please. Schremp and Ryan aren't exactly known for being defensive stalwarts, even the Canadian commentators noted that much. It was a closer game than it needed to be, and the USA was protecting the lead. I wouldn't want those guys out there playing defensive hockey, either. Schremp especially was out there almost constantly when the Americans were down and even when it was tied. I know that there's this perceived "bias," but give it up already. Just because they play in the CHL doesn't mean they're the best players on the team. Ryan has genuinely looked mediocre in the time he's played, points or not.

I do not recall writting Ryan and Schremp are the best players on the team, however Ryan is certainly not the 13th forward on this team nor was Schremp last year. The bias is not perceived it has been there consistently over the years. As an aside both players have commitments to teams in their own league, maybe if you the U.S.A group told these guys what there roll was going to be they might have made a decision to stay with their other teams.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Rounder said:
I do not recall writting Ryan and Schremp are the best players on the team, however Ryan is certainly not the 13th forward on this team nor was Schremp last year. The bias is not perceived it has been there consistently over the years. As an aside both players have commitments to teams in their own league, maybe if you the U.S.A group told these guys what there roll was going to be they might have made a decision to stay with their other teams.

Schremp has played probably the biggest forward role outside Kessel this year. He was simply used sparingly in a defensive situation. I don't see the problem with that. He's on the first PP unit, gets plenty of ES time when the USA isn't trying to protect the lead. Ryan also got more time this game...and still seems weak on the puck\tentative. The only one that I don't feel like is getting enough icetime is Mueller, honestly.

Ice

Feb 13, 2004
RallyKiller said:
and the Canadians erupt for a finnish goal LOL

Ya but secretly we want both teams to meet on New Years Eve with 3-0 records and 1st place up for grabs. The Canada/US rivalry for me is getting very close to the Canada/Russia rivalary and it could be more so this year. It is too bad Russia is not in this group too!

Personally I think Canada is going to be in tough against the US and Russia. Sutter is higly overrated; he throws our best lines of balance with this overbearing nature. He did that last year too but thankfully we had such a good team it didn't matter.

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
Dr Quincy said:

What??? If Canada is leading while playing in Canada, of course nobody's going to cheer for the losing team, you always cheer for the home team first! What kind of a comment is that? If the American team in North Dakota last year was leading 7-0, none of the American fans would have changed alliegences.

If the Finns were leading 7-0, if the Russians were leading 7-0, hell if the Norwegians were leading 7-0, you can bet that the Canadian crowd would cheer on the team that would be losing.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I was able to view the game this afternoon, so here's my belated thoughts:

The Good:

The power play. It would appear on paper that the PP had somewhat limited success, but it actually won the game for the U.S. Consistently dangerous, and if not for a couple of posts and some fine Finnish goaltending, would have been even more productive.

More balance. Instead of the Kessel line being the main point producer, guys like Wheeler, Schremp, Fritsche, and Ryan got involved. My hope is we get a composite of both efforts on Friday against Switzerland.

Frazee. Yeah, five goals against doesn't indicate quality goaltending, but he made some very timely saves, and in the end it's not by how much you win but if you win.

Walt Kyle. He made the decision to bench his main PP unit and go with the "muckers." It paid off.

The Bad:

Frazee. I know his style is spastic, but it leads to unneccessary chances against, and in fact led to the first goal. He needs to remain composed and let the puck hit him rather than try to make the spectacular save all the time.

Lack of discipline/sense of urgency. The vibe I get with the U.S. team is they're playing pond hockey and can come back at any time. It's worked so far, but not as the tournament goes on. I hope Kyle addresses this.

Odd penalty-killing choices. Can't these guys use the boards to clear the puck? Again, more focus is needed.

The Ugly.

Again, Walt Kyle's wardrobe. What the heck?

Instead of lambasting the U.S. I want to give credit to Finland, which not enough people are doing. They gave 100% on a night the U.S. did not, and it almost cost us. My hope is Kyle can address some of the above issues and we'll see a better effort against the Swiss and then Canada. The U.S. is certainly capable.

Ice

Feb 13, 2004
JimEIV said:
There is an Absolute Hate...........I have been to and watch many so many international sporting events and the ONLY time I have EVER heard a National Anthem booed/heckled was by Canadian Fans to the Star Spangled Banner.

Not Even during the Height of the "Cold War" have I ever heard an Anthem heckled before.

Apparently you haven't been watching sports for very long. Apparently you don't know how to use Google either. Here I'll make it easy for you, just click on the link.
http://www.google.ca/search?q=booing canadian-national-anthem

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
nomorekids said:
Oh, please. Schremp and Ryan aren't exactly known for being defensive stalwarts, even the Canadian commentators noted that much.

Agreed at least on the Schremp side of this arguement (as I don't know enough about Ryan's game), however I found it quite interesting when Kyle had Robbie on the PK in the 1st Period. IMO not the best way to utilize Robbie's talents. Robbie is very dangerous, and damn near everytime that he rips a shot there is a rebound if it's not in the back of the net. Play Kessel at center to rush the puck into the zone and distribute the puck, use Robbie on the RW boards as the QB, and use Ryan on the LW to clean up the garbage up front or to screen the goalie, or both!!! This teams PP should be the best in the tournament bar none IMO.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
JimEIV said:
There is an Absolute Hate...........I have been to and watch many so many international sporting events and the ONLY time I have EVER heard a National Anthem booed/heckled was by Canadian Fans to the Star Spangled Banner.

Not Even during the Height of the "Cold War" have I ever heard an Anthem heckled before.

Having family in Canada, but living in the US, I can shed some light from both sides.

Canadian side of the coin...
#1)Canada gets bombarded by news from and about the US, yet people in the US for the most part wouldn't know the difference between BC or the NWT. You hardly hear anything about Canada in the US, and many idiots think that Canada is a tiny country and that everyone knows everyone and that it snows 24-7-365.

#2)Canadians have a great sense of national pride, much greater than that of their American counterparts. Canadians love their homegrown heroes, and they take great pride in what they do.

American side of the coin...
#1)Many Americans (at least where I live) consider Canadians cheap, especially when it comes to tipping, etc.

#2)Americans rarely get news from other countries, although that has started to change in the last 5 or so years.

The bottom line is that especially in the Northern US the difference between Canadians and Americans is about nil. I take pride in my Canadian heritage, because it's hard not to seeing other Canadians loving their country so much. There is much that the US could learn from Canada, and much that Canada could learn from the US. Both are great countries that IMO could be much better if they dropped some of their moronic laws supporting the lazy.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
sonnytheman said:
What??? If Canada is leading while playing in Canada, of course nobody's going to cheer for the losing team, you always cheer for the home team first! What kind of a comment is that? If the American team in North Dakota last year was leading 7-0, none of the American fans would have changed alliegences.

If the Finns were leading 7-0, if the Russians were leading 7-0, hell if the Norwegians were leading 7-0, you can bet that the Canadian crowd would cheer on the team that would be losing.

I don't believe that for a second. If Finland was beating the US badly I highly doubt that the Canadian fans would start pulling for the US. It doesn't bother me at all that the Canadians are booing the Americans or cheering their opponents. That's fine. I just don't think they are doing it out of some merciful notion of not wanting to see a favorite beat on an underdog.

As I said, if Canada was beating on a smaller team the fans wouldn't switch allegiences. I never claimed Americans would either. But clearly if concern about the little guy were the overriding concern, that WOULD happen no matter who the 2 teams were.

The booing is happening because 1) the US is their chief rival in this tournament and 2) some harbor resentment towards their neighbor to the south.

Like I said I don't have a problem with it. Personally I want to see Canada lose and I don't think there's anything wrong with that either.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Bryanbryoil said:
Having family in Canada, but living in the US, I can shed some light from both sides.

Canadian side of the coin...
#1)Canada gets bombarded by news from and about the US, yet people in the US for the most part wouldn't know the difference between BC or the NWT. You hardly hear anything about Canada in the US, and many idiots think that Canada is a tiny country and that everyone knows everyone and that it snows 24-7-365.

#2)Canadians have a great sense of national pride, much greater than that of their American counterparts. Canadians love their homegrown heroes, and they take great pride in what they do.

American side of the coin...
#1)Many Americans (at least where I live) consider Canadians cheap, especially when it comes to tipping, etc.

#2)Americans rarely get news from other countries, although that has started to change in the last 5 or so years.

The bottom line is that especially in the Northern US the difference between Canadians and Americans is about nil. I take pride in my Canadian heritage, because it's hard not to seeing other Canadians loving their country so much. There is much that the US could learn from Canada, and much that Canada could learn from the US. Both are great countries that IMO could be much better if they dropped some of their moronic laws supporting the lazy.

1. Canadians get bombarded by news from the US because they watch news from the US. Do you think anybody would buy advertising space if noone was watching/reading?

2. America is a very diverse country with ten times the population of Canada- which makes us quite different. Canadians have a greater sense of national pride?

Why are you living in America anyway? oh yeah - to make money... thought so

When you go home for the holidays - be sure to boo our anthem too - if it helps your pride any

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->