Not open for further replies.

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
Mess said:
This makes it a tougher decision ..

With Rask in net for the Fins .. 4-1 Canada

With Ramo in net for the Fins ... 7- 1 Canada

Lets hope the Fins make the right choice :)

Just out of curiosity, what is your reasoning behnd Ramo being 3 goals worse then Rask if he plays?

Verbal Kint*

gobolt7 said:
Just out of curiosity, what is your reasoning behnd Ramo being 3 goals worse then Rask if he plays?
He's just pulling your leg.

I really do hope I get to see Rask in net though. I've never seen him play and putting him opposite of Pogge would be one hell of a (admittedly late) Christmas gift for Leafs fans.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
gobolt7 said:

I'm gonna guess he's never heard of Ramo or looked at how well he's playing in Finland and only compared the draft position to predict the goal differential between the two goalies.

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
Hockeyfan02 said:
I'm gonna guess he's never heard of Ramo or looked at how well he's playing in Finland and only compared the draft position to predict the goal differential between the two goalies.

Thats the direction I was headed with that. ;)

Hockeycanada*

Finland has always been my second favourite international team second to Canada, and I really like the way the country plays hockey. However, Canada should win this game by a goal or 2.

Avery4Byng*

cant wait for the game!

better go kill some time spending money at the mall, then get home for some haaackey!

go canada go.

espo*

Gretzky said:
Is there any online radio feed? Or maybe even televised feed? :dunno:

I can't catch this on TV because I'm vacationing in the U.S. :cry:
You really have to give up this vacationing in the U.S thing at this time of year.It's not good for your health.

Pick another time to go there.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
If Canada can dominate physcially without being sent to the box too much, they will be able to take over the game by the middle of the second period, but the Finns should never be taken lightly. Some people are putting too much emphasis on the Russia & Czech victorys, but that was just exhibition. This could be a very tough game for Canada.

I'd much rather the Canadians start off against a tough opponent then have to play Norway or Switzerland because it will help them establish the type of tempo their game will need as the tournament progresses.

I can't wait to watch this game live today. Just 4 and a half hours to go!!!

espo*

Nash said:
If Canada can dominate physcially without being sent to the box too much, they will be able to take over the game by the middle of the second period, but the Finns should never be taken lightly. Some people are putting too much emphasis on the Russia & Czech victorys, but that was just exhibition. This could be a very tough game for Canada.

I'd much rather the Canadians start off against a tough opponent then have to play Norway or Switzerland because it will help them establish the type of tempo their game will need as the tournament progresses.

I can't wait to watch this game live today. Just 4 and a half hours to go!!!
i'm with you on that.With the type of game we'll need to play to be sucessfull i prefer taking on a good team in the first game so we can establish that tempo and fix things up that are a concern.Playing the weaker sisters sometimes gets you into bad habits that are not as easy or possible to correct on the fly when you do get tested against the stronger opponents.

Upchuck19

May 6, 2003
Visit site
tray said:
cant wait for the game!

better go kill some time spending money at the mall, then get home for some haaackey!

go canada go.
Your crazy to goto Orchard park today, make sure your home by 4pm pst. I really like Toews in the first two exhibition games and I think he will be great in this tounament. I also think Blake Comeau will also put up the numbers also. Should be a great one in 3-1/2 hours!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
gobolt7 said:
Thats the direction I was headed with that. ;)

Finland 2006 WJC preview

Goalie Controversy
Tuukka Rask (TOR) and Joonas Hallikainen struggled in the 2005 WJC, the first Finnish goalies to do so in ten years. Right after the tournament, Karri Rämö (TB) began his breakout and started the battle for the starter's spot that still goes on. Rämö had the perfect start to his SM-Liiga season but has been the only goalie to post disappointing stats with the national team. Conversely, Rask excelled against the lesser competition with the Lion Cubs, but his professional games with Ilves were turbulent. Things changed when Rämö was sidelined for a month with a knee injury and his performance returned to a less consistent normalcy upon his return. Rask in turn got his game going and has recently played the best professional hockey so far in his short career.

The competition was at even odds when the goalies began their camp with the team. Finland faced the best offensive club teams of the semi-pro league in mid-December: First Jukurit fought their way to a 6-6 tie against Rämö (34/40) but Salamat were defeated in front of Rask (27/29). This gave Rask the pole position in the race, the outcome of which can be decided in the pre-tournament games. Finland has only one good opportunity to offer: on the 21st they faced Latvia and as expected, Rämö (8/9) didn't get a chance to really prove his quality. The obvious plan seems to be that Rask gets to face Slovakia on the 23rd, and if he plays well, there is nothing Rämö can do to begin the tournament as the starter. Rämö is still likely to get to start a tough game in the tournament, though, and that could change things.

Rask is a butterfly goalie as fast as lightning and has superb game-breaking ability. However, his stamina is lacking and that has led to serious inconsistency. Last spring he had a fantastic playoff run with Ilves Jr A, so if he manages to prepare for the WJC properly, he can handle the entire tournament. Rämö is not completely different from Rask, a butterfly even slightly bigger than the younger netminder, but plays a more conventional style. He has also proven able to take large barrages of shots and rebound from the defense completely letting him down. Either of the two is good to have when the goalie has to win Finland the game.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=8167

High flyin' Habs*

Anyone know the lines for Canada? And where can I listen to the game?

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
The clash of Canada and Finland has been a great holiday tradition in recent years. When was the last time the two teams didn't meet in round robin? 2000 or earlier? Even better, most of the time the game's been the opener.

Let there be hockey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad