WJC First Team All-Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I think they picked Bourdon to the team the same reason why they picked Johnson to it. They both were, IMO, overall the best dmen in the tourny as they were both a defensive and offensive force as well as being strong physical presence. Complete packages.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Nihilism said:
IIHF is smoking some wackey tobackey. How does Phil Kessel score 11 points and not get named to the all-star team? What about Rask? He got on because of the Sweden game. Otherwise, how does one justify him being on there ahead of Pogge? 1.00 GAA, 3 shutouts.

Canada's D was too good. Bourdon and Staal both deserve to be on the list.

I personally would have gone with:

Forwards: Malkin, Kessel, Tukonen
Defense: Bourdon, Staal
Goalie: Pogge
You probably know this by now but the All Star Team is selected by the media, not the IIHF. A safe assumption would be that most media came from Canada.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
... And Bourdon had much more "media" appeal than Staal for his playing style.

I expected the team to look like this

GK : Rask
DF : Bourdon, Emelin
OF : Malkin, Kessel, Backstrom.

Nihilism

May 2, 2003
Canada
Kronblom said:
You probably know this by now but the All Star Team is selected by the media, not the IIHF. A safe assumption would be that most media came from Canada.

Missing the point chief. Whoever picked it was wrong.

Pogge faced Rask twice and BEAT HIM twice by a combined score of 9-1. No one has yet to present any evidence that Rask was better then the Canadian goalie.

Nor has anyone proven that Jack Johnson is better then Staal. Johnson couldn't handle Malkin in the Semi's. Staal was the biggest reason why the overrated EM17 did nothing last night.

I would go as far as saying Marc Staal was the tournament MVP.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Nihilism said:
Missing the point chief. Whoever picked it was wrong.
Nor has anyone proven that Jack Johnson is better then Staal. Johnson couldn't handle Malkin in the Semi's. Staal was the biggest reason why the overrated EM17 did nothing last night.
I would go as far as saying Marc Staal was the tournament MVP.
I wouldn't have had a problem with ANY of Canada's "big 4" being on the all-star team. Bourdon, Staal, Barker and Parent were all magnificent.
And Russell and Letang weren't far behind, either.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Nihilism said:
Over a point a game. Still impressive for a 17 y/o.
Actually, he's 18. But when his team needed him the most, he wasn't that impressive at all. All-stars don't go AWOL in the medal round.

As stated before, TJ Oshie was, for me, the best forward for the Americans. Brilliant, consistent all-round efforts on a nightly basis. If everyone brought their game to another level like Oshie, the U.S. gets a medal of some colour. Between him and Tukonen for the third forward in my books.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
God Bless Canada said:
Actually, he's 18. But when his team needed him the most, he wasn't that impressive at all. All-stars don't go AWOL in the medal round.

As stated before, TJ Oshie was, for me, the best forward for the Americans. Brilliant, consistent all-round efforts on a nightly basis. If everyone brought their game to another level like Oshie, the U.S. gets a medal of some colour. Between him and Tukonen for the third forward in my books.

You mean like Malkin? Give me a break. Kessel wasn't consistently dominant, but he did have a good tournament and did produce at some key moments, such as in the Czech game. To continue to pick apart his game as a reflection on the team's fortunes is a bit much and lacking in focus IMO.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I suspected Bourdon would either be a First Team All-star or get the tournaments best d-man award. He plays an exceptionally noticable game. He was Canada's most physical d-man (by far), had the most points, and nearly the highest plus-minus. Not surprised he split the awards with Staal though, who was exceptional on the defensive side of the puck, I don't think people would be nearly as impressed with Parent had he not been Staal's partner, but that goes both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->