WJC: Dec 31 GDT - Canada vs. Slovakia

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Price quietly comes up with 30 saves so far

very impressed with the canada D who never seems to give 2nd chance oppurtunities

Price does his part with strong rebound control

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
This ref sure loves 5 on 3's. . .maybe he's looking for a job in the NHL and sees this as his audition for Bettman???

This ref is particularily soft, but I like a good ref who's willing to call a 5-on-3. It's good to have a ref willing to call a penalty on the short-handed team. It annoying to see a team go short-handed and then suddenly have a license to do whatever they want because "surely the referee isn't going to give us another penalty!"

Ri hards

Jun 21, 2004
well gents, it's been grand, but it's time for some sack time.

Cogliano player of the game!??

Ri hards

Jun 21, 2004
This ref is particularily soft, but I like a good ref who's willing to call a 5-on-3. It's good to have a ref willing to call a penalty on the short-handed team. It annoying to see a team go short-handed and then suddenly have a license to do whatever they want because "surely the referee isn't going to give us another penalty!"
You know, I agree that a ref shouldn't be afraid to call the 5 on 3, but by the same token, he shouldn't be looking to call it, such as the Bourdon call.

Anyways, like I said before, good night/morning/day to you all.

wildone26*

Its the 2nd time Price has been robbed of player of the game. That kid gets no respect.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Its the 2nd time Price has been robbed of player of the game. That kid gets no respect.
I definitely thought he deserved it today, he made a few fantastic saves in a game that easily could have been far closer. Cogliano created a ton of scoring chances and drew two penalties but he needs to start finishing on some of his scoring chances. As an Oilers fan, I'm hoping this is just a run of bad luck as he has been a goal scoring machine for Michigan this year.

espo*

I sure hope these refs don't officiate the medal games as they are capable of being momentum changers in a bad way for some team.Way too many soft or non-calls and in rapid succession.Sub-par work by them.

Canada is about what people have been noticing about them so far in their play.Great d-corps and goaltending with a team that can do a great job grinding but not the most offensively talented bunch by a long shot.They're average in that respect this year and have trouble seeing and getting into seams and trouble finding the players in the seams when they do get there.To top it all off,when all the stars align and the player finds the seams and the passer finds the guy there.......they don't finish all that well.Maybe they'll start to improve there but i think they'll have to be content scoring just enough goals to win while playing a tough and smart team defensive game to win Gold this year.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Jesus, when are you going to go with NHL refs for IIHF tournaments, International refs are just brutal, a Junior C ref could easily do as good a job, this international reffing situation is just getting old.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Justin Pogge eat your heart out :sarcasm: ...

Price's numbers have just been mind-blowing considering he's not getting "easy" nights ( 3/4 games there have been over 30 shots against)

4 GP, 4-0-0 , 2 SO, 1.00 GAA, .966 Save %

As a Habs fan... he's totally exceeded my expectations. Its great to see :yo:

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I didn't think Parent or Staal played particularly well this game. I didn't see them on the ice as much, but I can recall 2 bad plays by the duo that while not really paying attention to them that caused scoring opportunites.

wildone26*

this Slovakian team just simply does not belong at this level.

If that is the case that is a bad sign for Canada as they gave up 32 shots, took a ton of penalties, and gave up many great scoring chances to a team that "simply does not belong at this level".

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
If that is the case that is a bad sign for Canada as they gave up 32 shots, took a ton of penalties, and gave up many great scoring chances to a team that "simply does not belong at this level".

..and zero goals in a meaningless game against a team hoping to save some face.

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

Penalties don't help. Extremely awful calls on both Canada and Slovakia. Don't let the shots fool you. Slovakia was never a threat to Canada. Even on the 4 5 on 3's they had, shots were all perimeter and never threating. Slovakia fired the puck from everywhere all game and never got off many good shots, just lots of low % ones.

when you have that many two man advantages and have nothing to show for it, no they don't belong at this level, not too mention being outclassed all tournament long.

Canada did not play their best game at all, and still managed to win comfortably. They had 1st all wrapped up anyway, before this game started, this had upset written all over it, if it was any other team rather than Slovakia, Canada does not win this game, let alone shutout the opposition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad