neal-pyatt-gagner
cliche-bertram-hel
mccardle

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33
So far Montreals goaltending looks nice!
Huet
Price

I'm sure the Habs will keep Huet 3 more seasons to get Price all ready?

------------------ ---------------------- ---------------- --------------

dont forget Halak down in the AHL
10wins-5 loss
5 shutouts
1.48 Gaa and a sv% of 950
he also is the real deal .

Montreal has a very good problem

HALAK (HAB prospect)...I think he has 11 wins now;):p::):)

Yeah...it's a good problem to have:):
Huet
Halak
Price

Happy Holidays everyone & a Happy New Year:)...

Go Canada Go!!

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
dont you think the lines are mest
1.sam gagner is not good enough for the 2nd line
2.was is bryan little on a line with pyatt and neal,little should be up higher
this is y new lines

marchand-cogliano-downie
omarra-toews-little
neal-pyatt-gagner
cliche-bertram-hel
mccardle

I like Little on that line, in my opinion it has the potential to be a very important energy/defensive line for the Canadians that can put up the points. I agree right now on your first point though, Gagner had a rough go today, both taking penalties and giving the puck away... Personally I'd like to see him get PP time and see what McCardle can do.

lilooet*

Can someone give me a report on Rahimi?. What kind of potential does he have?

I can't give a report, but to me, he definitely stood out as the "toughest" of the Swedish players. He did not shy away from anything and seemed to like to mix it up after the whistle. During the game he seemed to be on the ice a lot and used in a lot of positions; especially in the second half.

Again, not a report in any sense, as I was not focused at all on the Swedes today - except Backstrom.

AgentNaslund*

can anyone break it down for me.

This year we come into the tourny with a weaker goaltending then last year. , or they say goaltending is one of hte weakness

Last year we had Just Pogge, whois a 4th rounder. This year we have Cary Price 5th overall and Leland Irvand first rounder this season. Irving is playing unbelievable in the Dub, and Price is just good, so how can canada's goaltnending be weak?

Gozer

Sep 22, 2005
Västerås
Comments on the game:

There have been allot of talk on Berglund before the tournament, he had a very quite game. Its like this with a player like Berglund, he either dominates or don't. A player like Bäckström will always create offense over 60 minutes, no matter who he plays against, but if you can slow down, or completely take out Berglund like Canada did tonight in the neutral zone he won't create much. I've said it before, Berglund have great potential, but its also possible that he will bust. Its vital for a player like him to be able to get involved in the game with speed in the neutral zone.

We have to remember that Berglund still is year younger than most swedes on the team, and with the big frame he has, he hasn't really developed the speed that it requires yet. For this tournament he will be best spending as much time as possible in the opponents zone, then he will sure put up some points.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I think sweden deserved a better fate, quite honestly. I'm a little biased towards canada for obvious reasons but there's no questionning that sweden deserved at least a point if nothing else.

Price was simply better than the swedish goalie and thats what it came down to.

I like how price makes everything look easy. He makes sure that he doesn't put himself in positions where he doesn't tax himself. He seems to make the games very easy on himself. And the D did a nice job preventing 2nd chance oppurtunities when price was unable to steer/freeze the rebounds out of trouble.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

This year we come into the tourny with a weaker goaltending then last year. , or they say goaltending is one of hte weakness

Last year we had Just Pogge, whois a 4th rounder. This year we have Cary Price 5th overall and Leland Irvand first rounder this season. Irving is playing unbelievable in the Dub, and Price is just good, so how can canada's goaltnending be weak?

I never saw Price before the draft, but I think if it were held again hed be a 1st round pick.

He covers allot of net, I especially like how he manage to keep his upperbody upright when he goes down.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
SOLR, you are incorrect. The Swedes have always been credited to being where the trap was first used (Before Hockey even became very popular in Switzerland). The Swedes developed the system to be able to compete against Russian and the Czechs who were much better skaters and talented offensively. There are several links all over the internet that you can read up on this if you wish... and yet I can't find a single article that states it began in the Swiss Leagues.

Here is one link of several that I found...

http://www.leaguelineup.com/czechhockey/files/torpedo.htm

Many North American fans would agree. As the NHL has expanded, the talent pool, even with European imports, has failed to keep pace. Through the 1990s, an increasing number of teams adopted defensive styles, employing a variety of trap variations, such as the aforementioned left-wing lock or "neutral-zone trap."

The trap also first emerged in Sweden, in the 1970s, when the national team began playing a 1-3-1 system designed to clog up the neutral zone. It was created as a result of Swedish frustration over not being able to keep up offensively with the Soviet Union and Czechoslovakian national teams. In the NHL at the time, most forwards were playing a man-on-man style that saw wingers skate up and down the boards with their opposing wingers.

No one North American coach is credited with taking the trap concept as it was formulated in Sweden and grafting it on to his own NHL club. It took more than a decade for the trap to define itself in North America in the 1980s, and its genesis in the West was as much a result of osmosis from international competition as it was North American coaches coming to the conclusion that some form of institutionalized obstruction was needed to compete with more offensively talented teams.

OT

What I have heard is that NJD set up a strategy were they would build a strong defense. They played a defensive type of game. But not the 1-3-1.

Then NJD spent time scouting Tommy Albelin who played for Djurgården and saw how they used a extremely strict 1-3-1 system, the idea were gain the redline, dump the puck in and NOT even try to fo after it. Then line up three players at the redline, and one forechecker who had one purpose only, make sure that the other team couldn't transport the puck up at center ice, but had to do it along the boards. They wanted to win the puck at one side of the ice between their attacking blueline and the redline. The background of this system were a research made of all goals scored in the SEL over a very long period of time. It showed that most goals were scored something like 3.9 seconds after a turnover had been made in that are of the ice.

Anyway I've heard several reports on how Djurgårdens coach and Jaques Lemaire became great friends and visit each other in the summers ect. I've also heard how Tommy Albelin were asked to bring material of how Djurgården played with him to NJ ect.

There is also another thing I would like to point out, and that is that I don't belive in anyway or form that Swedes were pioneers or have better coaches then the ones in NA, but its a fact in terms of systems ect allot of it comes from europe, and still do.

The reason for it is simple. If you look back to 86' when Albelin played in the SEL, there were only 36 games or something played in a season almost as long as the NHL season. Less then half the games. The game were also played on a bigger ice surface with less aggresive players, meaning that there were allot more time to think on the ice. Another factor were that very few players also changed teams at that time. It weren't unusual at all that on one roster 15-16 players had played for one team only in the SEL. This gave coches in Sweden a chance to play more advanced and strict systems then what is possible today in the NHL. Its not strange at all that that enviorment becomes kind of a labatory of new systems ect.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So far Montreals goaltending looks nice!

Huet
Price

I'm sure the Habs will keep Huet 3 more seasons to get Price all ready?

this is the main problem drafting goalies but most don't mature till about 24-25ish, so let's assume he goes the same development route of most goalies you will get a good 2 years out of him before he becomes a UFA.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I thought it was a good win. It wasn't that dominant win, where the score flatters the Swedes. It wasn't like the tournament opener three years ago in Finland, where Canada beat a strong host Finnish squad 3-0, but really served notice that Canada would be a team to be reckoned with. A couple things that I noticed.

1) I thought the defence played a "bend but don't break game" instead of a true shut down game. With the exception of 15 minutes versus the Russians in the gold medal game, Canada's defence was almost impenitrable in last year's tournament. Staal and Parent were rock solid (can you believe someone actually questioned their place on this team?). They need more from Bourdon and Letang in the defensive zone. They gave up more quality chances than I would have wanted to see, especially in the first and third periods.

2) Canada took it easy in the third. That's something we never saw last year against the top teams. In last year's tournament, they continued to play aggressive against Finland and the U.S. in the third period, despite having big leads.

I'd like to see Little moved up to Toews or Cogliano's lines. Little's a late 87 and he has the potential to be a game-breaker, especially on the power play. Toews needs someone he can pass to, as well as a linemate who can get him the puck.

It was a nice win, but Canada left themselves with a lot of room to improve. A riled-up, ticked off U.S. squad will provide a very stiff test.

superjonathan

Dec 18, 2003
london, uk

it's not that canada has weaker goaltending than last year. just that it is one of our weaknesses. basically cuz canada has 6 returning forwards, 5 returning dmen, and 0 returning goalies it is viewed as a weakness. i think any time you have goalies that haven't played in the wjc people will question it. last year going into the tournament, iirc, our goaltending was considered suspect; it wasn't until during the tournament that it became one of our strengths. pogge surprised last year. it wasn't that he was considered to be world class before the tournament;the tournament exposed him as world class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->