WJC Bronze Medal Game: Game Day Thread - Czech Republic vs. Finland (1-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
Once again, excellent effort by team Finland to tie the game and then win the bronze medal. Bergenheim had enough chances to score a couple of hat tricks but Schwarz was terrific. Actually, both goalies were good and had absolutely no chance on the goals. And it was nice to see Tukonen and Oksa score.

I can't but thank the players for what they've showed. Brilliant tournament, great hockey to watch! Now if only these guys had some talent...

SChan*

Can please someone tell me where i can get the boxscore of this game? Did finland win in regular time or OT?

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Congratulations to Team Finland.

They played hard the entire time, and only lost to teams that were better than them, and either way, fought hard against those teams.

I'm really happy to see the Finns win a medal.

SectionX said:
Can please someone tell me where i can get the boxscore of this game? Did finland win in regular time or OT?
Czech - Finland
1-2 (0-0,1-0,0-2)

32.07 1-0 Vondracek (Hudler, Klepis)

52.01 1-1 Tukonen (Nurmi, Varakas)

56.12 1-2 Oksa (Kontiola, Lepistö)

Penalties:CZE 5x2 min, FIN 2x2 min

Goalies: Marek Schwarz CZE 7+12+9=28 Hannu Toivonen FIN 8+ 4+4=16

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Padawan said:
Team Finland had chances earlier in the game but the worst player in Team Finland again, Petrell missed an empty net! This guys sucks big time... He blew several near goal situations in this game alone and made few situations to Team Czech Republic just impress the scouts. I am sure they saw how much of a team player Petrell was... :shakehead Sean Bergenheim was also a disappointment.
TEAM.

I dont understand why the JYP fans dont like Petrell. I think Petrell was one of the best players again. Allways when he was on ice he play good decent hockey, give very nice punch and shoot few times. That Czech goal was not empty that time, 2 Czech player was his way. I no that he was impress a scouts, cause i talk whit 2 scouts yesterday.

I feel very sad about you Padawan. I dont no what is your point when you dis Petrell, but its your problem.

Ps. That first goal assistant was Petrell, not Varakas. Referee saw wrong. I just look that situation in my video.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
IFK said:
I feel very sad about you Padawan. I dont no what is your point when you dis Petrell, but its your problem.

Why you feel sorry for me? I have eyes that actually work. I don't care which team this guy plays for I'd still say the same things. He, plain and simply, sucked as a team player and made too many huge mistakes.

I think you defend Petrell just because he is a IFK player.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Padawan said:
Why you feel sorry for me? I have eyes that actually work. I don't care which team this guy plays for I'd still say the same things. He, plain and simply, sucked as a team player and made too many huge mistakes.

I think you defend Petrell just because he is a IFK player.

I´ts no matter do you like Petrell or not. No one care!!!

Scouts was impressed and i think thats the case whats really matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
SergeiK said:
Priceless!

You´re funny...funny person.

I think they are angry cause HIFK coach not choose their favorit JYP junior Valtteri Tenkanen or no one else JYP player, but i think thats was right choise cause they are not that good.

Last edited by a moderator:

MeN_Ace2

Dec 22, 2002
Portland, OR
Visit site
IFK said:
Yes, I now i´m funny, but you are another sad person.

I think they are angry cause HIFK coach not choose their favorit JYP junior Valtteri Tenkanen or no one else JYP player, but i think thats was right choise cause they are not that good.

....OR.... Maybe Petrell's play has SUCKED. ;) :cry:

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
IFK there is no need for you to attacking people. I hope I will not be forced to edit any more of your posts here.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Predatore said:
IFK there is no need for you to attacking people. I hope I will not be forced to edit any more of your posts here.

Ok.. I´m sorry.

I was so angry thats why cause they dont tell thrut and i dont now why. One thing what pissed me really off was that they say that he sucks and scouts not impressed. Cause i now that scouts was very impressed Petrell´s play cause i talk whit them.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
IFK said:

You know why they were cut? They were injured, i'm sorry to say.

IFK said:

IFK said:
I was so angry thats why cause they dont tell thrut and i dont now why. One thing what pissed me really off was that they say that he sucks and scouts not impressed. Cause i now that scouts was very impressed Petrell´s play cause i talk whit them.

Ok, tell me then why you are the only one defending Petrell and there are at least couple besides me who saw that Petrell sucked?

Could it be that you are the one who saw the game quite differently than others here? Could it be? Petrell is a HIFK player and I understand why you defend him. You are very biased HIFK fan, or so it seems.

I doubt that you have spoken with the scouts there but like you, I don't have any proof that you didn't so I won't say that you didn't. There are two things that scouts watch:
1) Individual talent
2) Team play

Petrell has talent but he doesn't seem to play for his team. In the NHL there players like him but these players have exceptional talent. Talent that Petrell has but not enough to make it IMO. IMHO team play is also more important. That showed against Russia and Czech Rep.

Last edited:

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Petrell has great raw enthusiasm and confidence, over confidence that is. I'm sure scouts like him, he could be a project with nice payoff. That said, he did a number of stupid things in the tournament along with some nice things (go ask Smid who he banged three times in a row.) He'll learn, propably. Now let's put a lid on this.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Padawan said:

Ok, tell me then why you are the only one defending Petrell and there are at least couple besides me who saw that Petrell sucked?

Could it be that you are the one who saw the game quite differently than others here? Could it be? Petrell is a HIFK player and I understand why you defend him. You are very biased HIFK fan, or so it seems.

I doubt that you have spoken with the scouts there but like you, I don't have any proof that you didn't so I won't say that you didn't. There are two things that scouts watch:
1) Individual talent
2) Team play

Petrell has talent but he doesn't seem to play for his team. In the NHL there players like him but these players have exceptional talent. Talent that Petrell has but not enough to make it IMO. IMHO team play is also more important. That showed against Russia and Czech Rep.

Every JYP junior was injured? hmm... I didnt now that.

I think Petrell is a very good team player, but these tournament first game was Petrell´s 5th (or something like that) game ever in Finnish junior hockey team. Nobody dont expext him nothing, but still his played very decent tournament and was better and better game by game. Petrell assits this game first goal and Finland could maybe lost this game if he was not playing this team. All the time when he was on the ice, Czech players was scared be cause that previous Czech game when he punch clean whit that Barinka and Barinka was hurt. All the time when he gets puck he skated easily whit the Czechs area and make decent decisions and shoot many times but he had no lucky. Bergenheim shot many more times and get more ice-time than enybody else for forwards and scored only one goal against Ukraina. Thats why i dont really understand how you could think that Petrell was not good these tournament.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
IFK said:
Every JYP junior was injured? hmm... I didnt now that.
No, not all. Tenkanen and Kovanen who had a chance were injured. We also had four players who played in the Viking Cup.

IFK said:
Petrell assits this game first goal and Finland could maybe lost this game if he was not playing this team. All the time when he was on the ice, Czech players was scared be cause that previous Czech game when he punch clean whit that Barinka and Barinka was hurt. All the time when he gets puck he skated easily whit the Czechs area and make decent decisions and shoot many times but he had no lucky. Bergenheim shot many more times and get more ice-time than enybody else for forwards and scored only one goal against Ukraina. Thats why i dont really understand how you could think that Petrell was not good these tournament.

He did not assist our first goal. The puck was taken from him and luckyly we did get the puck back and that led to our first goal imo.

How can you tell the Czechs were scared? I don't and I watched the game from tv which can help watching expression on people's faces. They didn't seemed to be scared at all. All I saw was disappointmen when they lost.

If losing the puck after selfish deke attempt is a decent decision then so be it. Also much shooting usually won't take you nowhere. Hard and accurate shots will. Petrell sure seemed to shoot right in the middle of oppositions player or missed the net by a mile.

Oh, and Bergenheim sucked too imo. He should have produced more.

md17

teme said:
Petrell has great raw enthusiasm and confidence, over confidence that is. I'm sure scouts like him, he could be a project with nice payoff. That said, he did a number of stupid things in the tournament along with some nice things (go ask Smid who he banged three times in a row.) He'll learn, propably. Now let's put a lid on this.

I'm agreeing with Teme here. Yes, Petrell did make some big mistakes, and he messed up a few scoring opportunities, but the fact is that he made some great hits, he moved well and hence initiated quite a lot good things on the ice. He's very raw player, especially with the mental side of the game, but I'll bet he'll get drafted for what he showed in the tournament. Kekäläinen will draft him on the last round if no one else will.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
HockeyGoddess said:
Does anyone know who was named the Finnish player of the game this time around?

Thanks!

Lepistö. It was one of Toivonen's better games, and even though I try to keep the nomination away from goalies as often as possible, I think Hannu would've deserved it.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Padawan said:
He did not assist our first goal. The puck was taken from him and luckyly we did get the puck back and that led to our first goal imo.
QUOTE]

Maybe you not remember how it that go, but i just saw that situation to my video and Petrell assist that goal. That situation came Petrells good play. First defender passes puck to him on the blueline and Petrell goes Czech area and shoot, but puck gos wide. Then he skated corner and defender passes to Petrell. Then comes to Czech defender and try to robber puck him self but Petrell stickhandled him out of game and then Petrell passes puck to Nurmi whos passes that to Tukonen and Finland SCORES!!!

-HIFK-

That´s right, I´ve been saying all along to my friend, that Petrell should have got an assist on the goal. I mean, how did they get Varakas onto the scoresheet?

Like IFK said, Lennu deked a Czech player through the legs, then Nurmi took the puck from him, played the puck to the net, where Tukonen nicely finished the goal. It couldn´t be much more obvious.

Petrell handed out great punishing hits along the boards in this last game, and played a very decent game. It´s nice to have a player like him in IFK, since his type is becoming more of a rarity in Finnish hockey. He isn´t afraid to use his skill to try and challenge the d-men. (I especially liked the foot-deke he made during the last minute, and lost the puck. No chances taken... :)) But like I said, nice to have a player who stands out of the bunch.

Lennart Petrell - MVP

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Finland hooray!...Aggressive, attacking...

up-tempo hockey.

To see failures in this tournament, please see Czech Republic & Sweden. Nations that are falling due to their premiere leagues promoting trapping systems and passive hockey.

Finland has identified the need to keep a high skill level paired with aggressive, take it to you hockey. Good entertainment, good for skill development, grit development and ultimately winning hockey.

Please note they have been getting bronze or 4th for a good number of years now while other nations are falling back.

Keep it up Finland. Gold will soon be yours. :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad