Russia U20 National Team - WJC-2019

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Well, now that the medal streak is over, hopefully they start a new one next year. It has become an annual tradition to start this thread as soon as the tournament is over for Russia and I'm all about tradition. :)

I'm leaving off Kostin and Svechnikov, as it's possible that they might be in NHL this time next year. I know it's very early and usually the roster looks very different then guesses, but I'll give a try:

Kravtsov-Khovanov-Bitsadze
Maximov-Lipanov-Shafigullin
Zavgorodny-Koltygin-Shen
Denisenko-Marushev-Anokhovskiy

Alexeyev-Samorukov
Galenyuk-Zhuravlyov
Kalabushkin-Perelyayev
Rubinchik-Morozov

Tarasov
Zhukov
Ustimenko

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
NA players should have to be really good to make this team, younger players need more of a chance. I also think there needs to be some changes. Either Bragin is fired or he adapts his approach. 13F, 7D, no 12F, 8D. Also, there needs to be defined roles. You don't put your best players with grinders and not put your best players on the PP.

I think Svechnikov will be in the NHL. Kostin could be, but St. Louis already has guys like Thomas and Kyrou who also could, and I think he's probably behind both in the pecking order to make their team next season.

Bitsadze-Lipanov-Kostin
Denisenko-Khovanov-Kravtsov
Shafigullin-Guskov-Maximov
Kotkov-Koltygin-Anokhovskiy
Shen

First two lines are highly skilled, and should get a lot of time. Third line has two good wingers, but I think it would help to include the draft eligible Guskov who could be one of the 2019 draft's early picks. He also plays center, and is very good at the position, which should help this team, which lacks centers. The 4th line has some defensive ability and size.

Morozov-Samorukov
Alexeyev-Rodionychev
Galenyuk-Khabarov
Zhuravlyov

I think this defense has some puck moving, some size, some defense, some offense. It also has a good mix of older and younger players.

Zhukov
Tarasov
Ustimenko

I think all three keepers are good. All three could be the starter. It should be a good competition, and a strong position for Russia next year.

Reactions: MaxV

JayZIH

Nov 29, 2017
IMO, it will look like....
F:
Bitsadze-Lipanov-Kravtsov
Zaseda-Marushev-Maksimov
Shafigulin-Muranov--Toropchenko
Denisenko-Shen-Slepets
Koltigyn-
Svechnikov and Kostin ???
D:
Morozov-Samorukov
Alexeyev-Rodionychev
Galenyuk-Khabarov
Zhuravlyov-Dedov
OLSHANSKY-Rubinchink
KALABUSHKIN-Perelyayev

GK:
Zhukov
Tarasov
Ustimenko

JayZIH

Nov 29, 2017
guys like Alexander Romanov, Stepan Starkov, Kirill Popov , Daniil Skorikov ,NIKITA ANOKHOVSKY , NIKITA A. ROZHKOV , Alexander Khovanov , NIKOLAI KOVALENKO could also do the team

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's very young.

Same age Svechnikov is this tournament, same age Dahlin is this tournament, same age Kupari is this tournament, same age Lauko is this tournament, or would you prefer another underperforming CHL'er or a 19 year old who has yet to play in the KHL?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Same age Svechnikov is this tournament, same age Dahlin is this tournament, same age Kupari is this tournament, same age Lauko is this tournament, or would you prefer another underperforming CHL'er or a 19 year old who has yet to play in the KHL?

I would prefer Sokolov to return 20 pounds overweight, dressed like Augustus Gloop.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Biggest question here is who will be the coach - medias are speculating that Bragin won't continue in the U20. If it is true, then it is very likely that Golubovich will be the new coach, as 99 borns are his kids... although I'd like to see Koreshkov taking those duties, he is without a job now and has some good experience both with Bragin and Varnakov.

Anyway, if it is Golubovich, then it is pretty simple :sarcasm: :

(assuming Svechnikov and Kostin are not available)

Chekhovich-Lipanov-Shen
Alexeyev-Bitsadze-Toropchenko
Maksimov-Koltygin-Slepets/Kravtsov
Muranov-Marushev/Anokhovskiy-Lobanov

Samorukov-Rubinchik
Alexeyev-Baranov
Galenyuk-Kalabushkin
Perelyayev-Morozov

Tarasov
Zhukov/Ustimenko
Raiko

Last edited:

dexholl

Apr 1, 2017
Tarasov, Zhukov, Miftakhov

Samorukov - Rodionychev
Alexeyev - Morozov
Okhotyuk - Zhuravlyov
Galenyuk - Olshanskiy

Kravtsov - Koltygin - Kostin
Chekhovich - Khovanov - Maximov
Denisenko - Lipanov - Kotkov
Zavgorodniy - Bitsadze - Sokolov
Anokhovskiy

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Biggest question here is who will be the coach - medias are speculating that Bragin won't continue in the U20. If it is true, then it is very likely that Golubovich will be the new coach, as 99 borns are his kids... although I'd like to see Koreshkov taking those duties, he is without a job now and has some good experience both with Bragin and Varnakov.

Anyway, if it is Golubovich, then it is pretty simple :sarcasm: :

(assuming Svechnikov and Kostin are not available)

Chekhovich-Lipanov-Shen
Alexeyev-Bitsadze-Toropchenko
Maksimov-Koltygin-Slepets/Kravtsov
Muranov-Marushev/Anokhovskiy-Lobanov

Samorukov-Rubinchik
Alexeyev-Baranov
Galenyuk-Kalabushkin
Perelyayev-Morozov

Tarasov
Zhukov/Ustimenko
Raiko

Only three right handed shots? Curious why you didn't include Khovanov. Nikita Shashkov also may have a good shot, has had a good year even though he didn't light it up internationally.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
BTW most of these teams that we are proposing seem kinda young. Obviously most of us view the 2018 draft class in a MUCH higher regard then the 2017 class, but that's not really what history shows.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
No, Caser, no way....

....would he be only a third stringer.

You can accuse Golubovich of many things, but being an enemy to himself is not one of those. :)

Only three right handed shots? Curious why you didn't include Khovanov. Nikita Shashkov also may have a good shot, has had a good year even though he didn't light it up internationally.

Maksimov, Marushev... who is the third right-handed guy? But yeah, you addressed it right, we again are expecting to have issues here. Khovanov basically can be only a candidate for 2nd line C and for Golubovich to take him over Bitsadze... he has to be real good by that time. Not only Shashkov, I liked Kovalenko so far this season, Shafigullin is posting good numbers, but, again, I tried to make a "Golubovich's roster" here.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
So how does next year's team look in comparison to this year's? Do you think they have more potential?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
So how does next year's team look in comparison to this year's? Do you think they have more potential?
Might have a goalie or two.

The good D-men will still be too young.

Forwards are not without question makrs too.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

If you take this group and then replace Bragin with Golubovich as coach, the result will be the same as this year. By the same I mean 5th place. It shouldn't be worse than 5th. With Canada and Sweden in the preliminary group, it will likely mean finishing 3rd and playing against the 2nd place team in the other group in the QF. I think the only way it can get worse than being eliminated in the QF is if they go to the relegation game.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Upside of the group is there, most of the top talent will be 18 though.

There might be new guys who breakout/improve among 19-year-olds, but right now it's a meh group.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
What on earth is Prokhorov up to? Give him the reigns please. Im sick of Bragin's blunders. Dicked around with the goaltenders way too many times. The last time he cost the team the gold against the Finns should have been his last. Time to turn the page

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Appoint Prokhorov as coach, and create U18 and U20 national teams to compete in the MHL and VHL. This would create teams that are on the same page and know what to do in the World Championships.

Reactions: malkinfan

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Roster for the 4 Nations tournament in Czech Republic (6th-8th of April):

GK
Daniil Tarasov
Kirill Ustimenko

D
Veniamin Baranov