Prospect Info: WJC 2017: Caps Prospects (Samsonov, Riat, Siegenthaler)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Samsonov was very good, he has an unorthodox style. He's like the opposite of Holtby in net.

Something looks off with his style, was hard to put my finger on it. Just kept catching my eye how he plays/moves. I wonder how much some coaching refinements will do for him when he finally comes to NA? Looks like he's got all the natural tools to be a starter.

The Wicker Man

Cup or Shut Up
Nov 25, 2015
Russia
Our swiss prospects are making great impression on me.

Damien Riat shows really solid two-way game with great skating, preferring simple, but safety decisions. And what i love the most, he is a hard hitter, made some crushing ones so far. But on the other hand, got a pair of hard collisions already, needs to be much more careful with it.

Jonas Siegentaler revealed some hidden offensive potential: puckhandling and shot are quite decent, but loved his skating and passing skills. Think he could produce at NHL level offensively if he develops it properly.

The Wicker Man

Cup or Shut Up
Nov 25, 2015
Russia
Samsonov was ****ing amazing. Before today I insisted that it was a great mistake to draft Samsonov instead of Konecny. Take my words back

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I read all the way until the part about Nylander getting crushed before I thought "wait, twice in two years?", and realized what had happened.

:laugh:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Samsonov certainly has all the physical tools, but he tends to overplay things a bit right now. Hopefully that's something that can be ironed out as he gets some NHL goaltending coaches after he come to North America.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Samsonov certainly has all the physical tools, but he tends to overplay things a bit right now. Hopefully that's something that can be ironed out as he gets some NHL goaltending coaches after he come to North America.

I can't speak for Holtby, but I know Grubauer did a lot of the same at that age with Windsor. Was actually rooting against them during their dominant stretch, so it frustrated the hell out of me watching a goalie leave a little daylight that nobody was converting on, but it was still obvious that Grubauer was going to be NHL caliber.

Then Washington drafted him, and I came around pretty quickly. Samsonov will have a ton of time to refine those parts of his game, he looks like a stud. Better than Grubauer at that age, for sure.

Yvanoe

Sep 16, 2012
0+1 for Riat (26:51) and 0+2 for Sigenthaler (27:14) in the 5-4 Swiss win over Denmark yesterday. Switzerland advance to the QF.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
One can only hope Korn is still here when Samsonov makes the jump across the pond.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Siegenthaler named one of Swiss' top 3 for the tourney. According to my numbers, his TOI for the US game was about 908:85.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Siegenthaler named one of Swiss' top 3 for the tourney. According to my numbers, his TOI for the US game was about 908:85.

Siegenthaler played 27:24, Riat 23:57. Both with an assist on Hischier's 1st PP goal.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Riat's skating is a bit concerning. He looked visibly slower than most of the other guys on the ice.

Riat is a decent skater.
He played by far the most minutes of all forwards. I didn't notice him to be particularly slow but if he was probably fatigue is a big reason for that. Even in the NHL it's not normal for a forward to play 24mins. He also played far over 20mins in 3 of the previous 4 games which the Swiss played in just 5 days.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
You might need to double check that. There's only 60 seconds in a minute. :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

I did indeed double-check, and my numbers were right (give or take a few seconds) -- it turns out, he IS the most interesting Swiss in the world.

I believe he also pulled down 26 rebounds, posted a 1.142 OPS and rushed for 173 yards -- at a dinner party.;)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I did indeed double-check, and my numbers were right (give or take a few seconds) -- it turns out, he IS the most interesting Swiss in the world.

I believe he also pulled down 26 rebounds, posted a 1.142 OPS and rushed for 173 yards -- at a dinner party.;)

If that's your way of saying that he did it all for Switzerland...then yeah, you're right:yo:
Same has to be said of Riat. The two might not only lead team Switzerland but all players in TOI. Not sure a forward has logged more minutes than Riat or a defender more than Siegenthaler.

vs CZE

19:03 and 26:36

vs SWE (back to back)

16:24 and 25:14

vs DEN

26:51 and 27:14

vs FIN (back to back and meaningless)

18:23 and 18:36

vs USA

23:57 and 27:24

Last edited:

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
If that's your way of saying that he did it all for Switzerland...then yeah, you're right:yo:
Same has to be said of Riat. The two might even lead all players in TOI. Don't think a forward has logged more minutes than Riat or a defender more than Siegenthaler.

Riat definitely impressed. The brass should be very pleased with what those 2 showed tonight. Both played like grown-@** men.

Now lets hope the US knocks out the last remaining Caps propspect -- 1-0 in a 12-round shoot-out...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->