Confirmed with Link: With the #80 pick, the Wild select Louis Belpedio (Signed to 2-Year ELC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomthestone*

Faulk is a very interesting comparison. Forgot he came out of the USNTDP.

If Belpedio is anything like Faulk was as a freshman at UMD, he'll quickly have Wild fans going insane. Within 20 minutes of Faulk's career and certainly by the time he debuted in Duluth it was pretty clear he'd be in the NHL very soon.

It might take year or two to really really show, but this regime is assembling some pretty nice depth throughout the prospect pool. Plenty of players with good upside, and as mentioned a clear emphasis on hockey IQ.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm mostly impressed with the defensive depth on the prospect pool. This franchise used to really struggle in that department in particular.

Outside of Brent Burns, the Wild never truly drafted and developed a top 4 defender... let alone a top pair defender!

Nick Schultz was borderline top 4 AT BEST, but he was as high as the top pair in our lineup by default due to the lack of talent at the position.

Now we've got a top pair guy in Brodin, with potention top pair guy in Dumba, with a couple potential top 4 guys getting close in Folin and Olofsson...

tomthestone*

I'm mostly impressed with the defensive depth on the prospect pool. This franchise used to really struggle in that department in particular.

Outside of Brent Burns, the Wild never truly drafted and developed a top 4 defender... let alone a top pair defender!

Nick Schultz was borderline top 4 AT BEST, but he was as high as the top pair in our lineup by default due to the lack of talent at the position.

Now we've got a top pair guy in Brodin, with potention top pair guy in Dumba, with a couple potential top 4 guys getting close in Folin and Olofsson...

Agreed 100 percent. With Belpedio leading the way among guys outside the big guns (Brodin Folin Dumba Olofsson) the Wild will always have options on D when it comes to sticky contracts and potential trades.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
And looking at how D-men get paid... if you want to keep good control of your cap, it's always good to have good young defenders ready to step in!

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
His name's come up in the prospect thread a few times recently, mostly over questions about how easy it'll be to get him under contract after this season. He's been having a great season production-wise: 5G-10A in 16 games for Miami.

The Athletic had a good article about him today.
Louis Belpedio won't let his NHL dream distract him from getting there

Some excerpts:
The Athletic said:
“Obviously I was excited about (getting drafted),” he explained. “Right when I got back from Philly, I was in the gym, skating and getting back to my regular schedule. I think a lot of guys look at (getting drafted) as 'Wow, I made it,' rather than 'Wow, I'm a lot closer than I thought.' I kind of took the second approach to that. … What can I do to get myself (to Minnesota)?”
The Athletic said:
On the offensive side, Belpedio has thrown 61 pucks on net at a rate of 3.81 per game, a career high (he attempted 70 shots as a freshman in 40 games). His junior season saw his best shooting efficiency, 10.5 percent, in a year that was shortened to 24 games due to an undisclosed injury. He's particularly deadly from near the top of the left circle.
But defensemen should play defense. In a goal-hungry league like the NHL, watching stat lines is sometimes confused with scouting. While some have called Belpedio “Jared Spurgeon, 2.0,” there's another name that he feels he's modeled his game after, and why he wears the No. 58 whilst patrolling the blue paint.
“Some of the best defensemen in the NHL don't put up a ton of numbers,” Belpedio said when asked about the offensive-defenseman. “When you're looked at as a skill guy though, you kind of have to play the part. … You see a guy that's on a power play, you expect them to score and get assists. … (In that regard) I try to play exactly like Kris Letang.”
The Athletic said:
So why is he still in college? This summer, even Blasi was unsure if his captain would be returning. When asked, he once again showed what has made him such a great captain without being a “rah-rah” presence, but rather one that leads by example.
“It took me awhile to figure it out. … I think I'm ready to be a pro. I've been ready to be a pro for awhile,” Belpedio said of his decision. “Neither of my parents graduated from college. I promised them that it would be something that I'd finish. … I keep telling myself, 'you just keep doing what you're doing and the opportunity will be there next year,' so I've just been focused on my senior year.”

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
High character young man for sure and a welcomed writeup. Comments on that article seemed to be penciling him into next season's lineup which is silly. We've seen guys with average size and a lot of college offense fall short of the NHL (Joey LaLeggia comes to mind) but seeing a guy like Will Butcher thrive and guys like Matt Grzelcyk and Matt Benning in the NHL gives me more hope for Belpedio. Easily the highest upside of any defense prospect in the Wild system, assuming Reilly/Olofsson have graduated.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
High character young man for sure and a welcomed writeup. Comments on that article seemed to be penciling him into next season's lineup which is silly. We've seen guys with average size and a lot of college offense fall short of the NHL (Joey LaLeggia comes to mind) but seeing a guy like Will Butcher thrive and guys like Matt Grzelcyk and Matt Benning in the NHL gives me more hope for Belpedio. Easily the highest upside of any defense prospect in the Wild system, assuming Reilly/Olofsson have graduated.

Never read the comments... :help:

I have nothing wrong with him or any college kid finishing school and graduating if that's their prerogative. That being said I still think it's questionable that he'll sign with the Wild or go where he wants as a UFA.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Never read the comments... :help:

I have nothing wrong with him or any college kid finishing school and graduating if that's their prerogative. That being said I still think it's questionable that he'll sign with the Wild or go where he wants as a UFA.

:laugh: Yeah, I read the comments in there earlier and just didn't have the heart to be a naysayer while everyone's being so optimistic about him, not even questioning the likelihood of him signing. I feel like every time I read the comments at The Athletic these days, the Wild fans are all grumpy, so I'll let the joy remain pure.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Hope he signs, but if he uses the loophole to play where he wants to play, more power to him.
I'm with you, hope he signs but I highly doubt it.

No logical reason for him not to wait until Aug 15th and see how free agency shakes out.

Definitely can't see him signing an ATO to play in Iowa.

Could still see him signing with Wild after Aug 15th considering their D situation

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm not sure...maybe it's different if he's a signing and not technically a call-up?
Soucy is on emergency recall. Signing Belpedio means the Wild would have 6 healthy dmen without Soucy and would mean that he can't be up.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Confused, is this a good or a bad thing? I mean like right now.
I don't think they would sign him today if it meant that Soucy would have to go back down, but I can't figure out how they are going to be able to keep him up.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Emergency callups have to be sent down once the player they are replacing comes back. I suppose maybe Soucy can stay up since the guy he's replacing wasn't Belpedio. To 2Pair's point I can't imagine they would sign Belpedio right now if it meant they had to send Soucy down unless they also knew Olofsson was ready to go.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Emergency callups have to be sent down once the player they are replacing comes back. I suppose maybe Soucy can stay up since the guy he's replacing wasn't Belpedio. To 2Pair's point I can't imagine they would sign Belpedio right now if it meant they had to send Soucy down unless they also knew Olofsson was ready to go.
The way that I understand the rule is that you can only make emergency recalls if you have less than 6 healthy D or 12 healthy forwards.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Listened to Russo's latest podcast and he brought up the whole emergency situation but now I'm just more confused how they signed Belpedio and didn't have to send Soucy back yet.

Also, already low expectations lowered further with his final thought. I wasn't expecting him to get more than a game anyway but Russo sounds especially unimpressed with his game at a pro level:

Russo said:
He is NOT ready for the show. I mean he did not play well in Iowa and frankly they're just going to give him a courtesy game on game 82 to take a Ryan Murphy out or rest a Dumba or Brodin just to protect them. But I would be shocked if we see Belpedio in the playoffs it would take a bunch of injuries I think to see Belpedio in the playoffs.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Fun fact someone pointed out to me on the mainboard.

Minnesota had the 79th pick in 2014, Tampa the 80th.

They switched, Minnesota obtaining a 7th round pick in 2015 as compensation.

Tampa chose Brayden Point with that 79th pick...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad