Confirmed with Link: With the #80 pick, the Wild select Louis Belpedio (Signed to 2-Year ELC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Probably a mix of things. Under-scouted by other teams, easier to scout for us because of location, and they're very easy to sell to the fans in MN.

Not to mention just how good the US NTDP is. They play against college players regularly, have an in-road to international competition, and great coaching.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Not to mention just how good the US NTDP is. They play against college players regularly, have an in-road to international competition, and great coaching.

This more so than anything else, they are the cream of the crop from the US for their age group, they get great coaching and they play tough competition which makes them an easier group to evaluate to say CHL players.

I would be shocked if there was any team that didn't have 1 scout who covered the UsNDP team on a regular basis, seems like you want a guy in Europe, A guy in WHL, OHL, QMJHL, and a guy doing USNDP/USHL on your staff.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This kid may or may not turn out to be a player... but he has a hell of a tough road to crack this lineup considering who's in front of him in the system.

I wish him luck, as if he manages to do so, he must be pretty good! ;)

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
This kid may or may not turn out to be a player... but he has a hell of a tough road to crack this lineup considering who's in front of him in the system.

I wish him luck, as if he manages to do so, he must be pretty good! ;)

The best part of this is its all depth at this point. We are throwing darts with an educated guess per our draft slot. If the prospect works out, fantastic, if not so much... more trade bait for future considerations. As of right now, I like this pic but would have almost liked anyone they selected. I am happy they were able to get a solid two way D prospect that shoots right and has captain leadership. We always need more captains

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
In a post draft interview he compared his game to Kris Letang of the Penguins. While I doubt he will reach that level of offensive production based on what he has done in the past, a responsible two way guy is certainly possible.

Two or three years at Miami and then a few years in the AHL will show what he's got.

Overall I really like this pick.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I like the reports on this kid, and the fact that he's already turned on the Blackhawks ;)

Sounds like Belpedio and Tuch could both be headed to some future World Juniors tourneys together.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I am happy for this pick too. 20 some pts is good for the usntdp. Also if he is a character guy, bring captain or alternate at u18 championship is a good sign.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
In a post draft interview he compared his game to Kris Letang of the Penguins. While I doubt he will reach that level of offensive production based on what he has done in the past, a responsible two way guy is certainly possible.

Two or three years at Miami and then a few years in the AHL will show what he's got.

Overall I really like this pick.

:laugh:

Wasn't Labbe also described as a Letang as well?

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Sounds like Louie is having a good day out at the Team USA camp:

Corey Pronman verified
Anders Bjork (Bos) and Louis Belpedio (Min) also stood out in the first morning session.
Corey Pronman verified
USA Blue D: McCoshen-Vannelli/Downing-Santini/Belpedio-Florentino/Carlo. Burke in goal, Halverson backing up.
Corey Pronman verified
Louis Belpedio makes a great defensive play, joins the rush and finishes off a Milano set up. Great shift by the MIN prospect.
Milano-CBJ and Larkin-DET standouts in first. Flashes from Downing-FLA, Hayden/Louis-CHI, Eichel/Connor-2015, Belpdeio-MIN.

Looks like he's the anchor on his pairing, but thus far it has just been half ice scrimmages.

Hopefully there will be some more solid impressions over the next day or two from other outlets as well.

Last edited:

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Had another great day at camp. Looks like he's making some solid impressions:
Eichel-2015 very impressive in the first. Also liked Larkin/Holmstrom-DET, Kempe-LAK, Wallmark-CAR, Santini-NJD, Bjork-BOS, Belpedio-MIN.
Corey Pronman verified
Long way to go before the holidays, but not insane to think Louis Belpedio finds his way on the U20 team. Has had a great camp.
Russ Bitely ‏@russbites 8h
Miami incoming frosh Belpedio has been solid first 2 days NJEC. Showing off side w/ couple Gs but also poise, decision making at own end

This guy might be a gem. Very impressed by what I have heard thus far.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Had another great day at camp. Looks like he's making some solid impressions:

This guy might be a gem. Very impressed by what I have heard thus far.

Thanks for posting these!

Sounds like Pronman sure likes him. Would be great to see Belpedio in the WJC's this January.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Fletcher loves the US kids lately. Maybe thinks they aren't getting scouted hard enough by other teams?

I think its more along the lines that we aren't projected to have much room in the NHL lineup within the next 3ish years, so he wants college players with a bit longer development time. Nice to have that extra 1 to 2 years to sign them.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Belpedio made the first round of cuts today at the NJEC. Tuch did as well.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Pronman with a blurb about Belpeio in his recap of the US NJEC.

Louis Belpedio | D | USA | Minnesota Wild

Belpedio showed off an impressive range of abilities. His skating, two-way IQ and puck-moving skills were all on display, and he showed that even though he's on the smaller side (5-10, 194 pounds), he looks like a quality prospect.

He jumped into the offensive play a lot, and created puck movement and chances in transition.

"He's been assertive, and certainly has found a way to get himself noticed," Team USA head coach Mark Osiecki said.

Add that with all his Tweeting(twittering?, Twating?) about Louis during the camp, it looks like Belpedio made quite the impression.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Miami's best offensive defenseman ha 16 points last year; next bests had ~7. I think he'll have his opportunities to get involved offensively on his team, may even run the PP.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I like that people are noticing his hockey IQ too. Seems to be a trend with our current regime.

Crazy to think he made it when Dougherty and vannelli were sent home

Dougherty is still at camp.

Hurley, Vannelli, Cammarata, Brodzinski, Lettieri, Iverson, Lewis and Poganski were among the Minnesotans that were cut.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Miami's best offensive defenseman ha 16 points last year; next bests had ~7. I think he'll have his opportunities to get involved offensively on his team, may even run the PP.

I would not be surprised in the least. Louie has produced at every level thus far and has had plenty of leadership opportunities - even leading the U18 WJC team by being Captain. He's clearly a guy with skill and intangibles and I could really see him growing into a large role sooner rather than later.

I like that people are noticing his hockey IQ too. Seems to be a trend with our current regime.

Dougherty is still at camp.

Hurley, Vannelli, Cammarata, Brodzinski, Lettieri, Iverson, Lewis and Poganski were among the Minnesotans that were cut.

Geez. How many Minnesotans are left?

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Jeez idk if we can compare apples to apples bc stats can be determined by teammates, but I just checked 2 other former USA d men and Belpedio did just as good or better than trouba and Faulk at the same age (happened to be the first 2 I looked up) Stats wise, this guy is a stud!

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Jeez idk if we can compare apples to apples bc stats can be determined by teammates, but I just checked 2 other former USA d men and Belpedio did just as good or better than trouba and Faulk at the same age (happened to be the first 2 I looked up) Stats wise, this guy is a stud!

Faulk is a very interesting comparison. Forgot he came out of the USNTDP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad