With the 30th overall pick the New Jersey Devils have selected, John Quenneville!

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Time for people to stop whining and start supporting

Todd Cordell ‏@ToddCordell 8m
Asked a WHL scout about Quenneville and he simply said "lots of tools."

Todd Cordell ‏@ToddCordell 3m
Quenneville (@jaquinder88) isn't without offensive ability. Averaged a PPG in a low scoring league and had 13 points in 9 playoff games.

just because people complain about things doesn't mean they aren't going to be supporting the team or the prospects....

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Houston Texans @fans_texans · 3h
NHL Draft 2014 :New Jersey Devils select John Quenneville with No. 30 overall pick| http://ay.gy/pv1JC #Texans

No clue why a NFL team from Texas would stay on top of our draft picks but pretty cool nonetheless

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
what's the group think on JQ now? It was "bust" and "another terrible draft pick under Lou" as recently as last year at this time. Has it shifted to a positive outlook now?

People still thought he was a bust a year ago despite a great year at Brandon, a deep playoff run, and a highlight reel goal in the Memorial Cup?

DevilsJunkie

Jul 28, 2009
Biggest Little City
what's the group think on JQ now? It was "bust" and "another terrible draft pick under Lou" as recently as last year at this time. Has it shifted to a positive outlook now?

Let's put it this way: His '17 - '18 season is a very important one for him and for the Devils.

I wish I had inside information on what Shero and staff have determined where he is in his development. Do they think he's ready? Almost ready? Something else?

Personally, I think he has a season next year that Zacha had this year. An NHL regular with periods in which he has a lull, and periods of strong, impactful play. Maybe he reaches 30 NHL points?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I suspect you should go back and look what people were saying here at that time because I don't think there was a ton of 'bust' talk at that juncture (and honestly I hate the word 'bust' when it comes to draft picks and if I could banish it from hockey talk I would). Probably some of the usual suspects were saying bust, but why listen to them? There was hope because Quenneville had recovered from his subpar 14-15 and was playing much better.

I like Quenneville and he's exceeded my expectations as a first-year pro. Hopefully he can improve his skating some between now and next year. He's not Boucher slow but he's still not as fast as I'd like him to be. Otherwise it's all there for him to be a top 9 NHL forward.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Let's put it this way: His '17 - '18 season is a very important one for him and for the Devils.

I wish I had inside information on what Shero and staff have determined where he is in his development. Do they think he's ready? Almost ready? Something else?

Personally, I think he has a season next year that Zacha had this year. An NHL regular with periods in which he has a lull, and periods of strong, impactful play. Maybe he reaches 30 NHL points?

I don't know if he has a similar season to Zacha. Zacha had a pretty weak first half plus and then picked it up. JQ showed in his short time in the NHL he is not afraid to shoot the puck. Also in Albany I believe he averages around 3 shots per game. Zacha averaged somewhere around 1 shot per game in the NHL.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I remember some people wondering if we should have maybe taken Brendan Lemieux, especially with the family connection... it's just one year but wow, BL was baaaaad just looking at the stat line

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't know if he has a similar season to Zacha. Zacha had a pretty weak first half plus and then picked it up. JQ showed in his short time in the NHL he is not afraid to shoot the puck. Also in Albany I believe he averages around 3 shots per game. Zacha averaged somewhere around 1 shot per game in the NHL.

His shot seems like one of his best traits, something I don't recall from his draft scouting reports.

I wonder how he would look with McLeod

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think him and McLeod would be GREAT together. I hope they make up our 4th line next season. With Miles Wood. Wood - McLeod - Quenneville.

I think both are too talented for standard 4th line duty and we don't really have better third liners.

Third line seems fine. I wonder how JQ would handle playing his off wing.

I like the idea of Wood as the garbage man/muscle of that line along with a speedy winger to keep up with McLeod, but he needs to smarten up to be able to hang with them.

I think Speers might work well on a line with JQ and McLeod too.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I think both are too talented for standard 4th line duty and we don't really have better third liners.

Third line seems fine. I wonder how JQ would handle playing his off wing.

I like the idea of Wood as the garbage man/muscle of that line along with a speedy winger to keep up with McLeod, but he needs to smarten up to be able to hang with them.

I think Speers might work well on a line with JQ and McLeod too.

My hope is that:
Hall - Zajac - Palmieri
Henrique - Zacha - ?
Cammalleri - ? - Bennett
Wood - McLeod - JQ

But yeah if Shero can't snag two other forwards, then third line is where they will be.

I think if you put Speers with them, that line is a bit too small and weak. As you said Wood would be a great garbage/muscle man to go along with them. And yes he can keep up with McLeod while Quenneville is the third man high waiting for a drop pass and ripping his wicked wrister which will either find the back of the net, or Wood will be there to bang home the rebound.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I hate the word 'bust' when it comes to draft picks and if I could banish it from hockey talk I would

What adjective would you like to use in its' place for drafting a Patrik Stefan or an Alexander Daigle? I mean, realistically there has to be a term for it.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
What adjective would you like to use in its' place for drafting a Patrik Stefan or an Alexander Daigle? I mean, realistically there has to be a term for it.

those guys were #1 overall picks. That I agree there can be busts.

For a 30th overall pick? Or as I mentioned earlier, for a 4th round pick in Boucher? That isn't a bust.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, I mean like ZBC said, that's fine. Using it for players drafted low, or players who barely miss being NHLers, there I'm less inclined. Angelo Esposito is a bust, dude basically had worse results every year in junior and in the pros.

I guess I just don't like it being thrown around because like you said, its traditional use is to refer to players like Stefan and Daigle, but you do still need a word for 'a player who is drafted that fails to become an NHL regular'.

Fortunately this discussion doesn't have a ton to do with Quenneville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad