With the 30th overall pick the New Jersey Devils have selected, John Quenneville!

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
just watched the inteview on Devs youtube channel. compares himself to Jamie Benn. hope so

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Yea they flipped over to NHL network. Really rediculous since it was less than 10 mins from being over.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
What do you guys think would happen if DD and Conte were put into a locked room together that had no windows?

They would play scrabble? :dunno:

Devils_Draft_Scrabble.png

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Conte believes the NHL bloodlines are helpful for a player breaking into the league. “I think it’s the culture,†Conte said. “You understand the hockey culture. You understand what it’s like to be on a team, what’s around the game. The game becomes more important than the hype above the game. That confidence and that modesty is very helpful to a team and it’s been largely inherent in most of our teams and it’s good for us.â€

that's a pretty awesome quote

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I was pretty sold on barbeshev. He's not really the typical russian in a sense that he's been playing in North America for a few years now, he back checks hard, throws his body around and has a sweet pair of hands.

He has also dropped his mitts and fought a few times.

I don't think we have the resources to trade up and get him

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
Renegade Stylings, constant poster on prospects forums had this to say on Q.

#12 - John Quenneville - Brandon Wheat Kings - C - L - 6'1 - 186

Quenneville is a big-bodied forward for the Wheat Kings. He has a very intriguing amount of skill to go with his frame and has shown the ability to play physical when he needs to. His skating is strong and he has a nice level of hockey IQ. He was near a point per game this season, further elevating that offence with 13 points in 9 playoff games. I know many people have him rated higher than I do, but I have some noted concerns about his compete level. I wrote that he can be physical when he needs to be, but that part of his game was extremely inconsistent in my eyes this season. I noticed him frequently turning away from finishing checks and taking shifts off. This type of play is the main reason why I have him down on my list in comparison to where some scouts and NHL teams would have him.

NHL Style Comparison: Lars Eller

Top End NHL Potential: Borderline top 6 forward

Pick Prediction: 25-35 overall

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It seems to me the more I read about him ids that he's an offensive forward who happens to be passable at defense, like Parise was.

Not a "two way forward", which I feel is more of a backhanded compliment. Like, two-way forwards are guys who aren't good enough offensively so they're given this label of 'well at least he's good at defense to make up for it'.

Anyways, it seems like Quenneville's first responsibility is offense, yet he does it while being responsible. Not that he's a grinder with okay hands. Might be splitting hairs but I see a lot of people pigeonholing him in the later camp.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
im not fond of the "Lou and Conte can do no wrong" attitude, but I guess theres really nothing you can do lol

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I mean what type of team do you think is being built here? Lou isn't trying to make a Washington or Pitt type team. His current model is more along the lines of LA and Boston with some old school Devil's flair. Strong in net, strong blue line (that can skate) and strong complete forwards. They can forecheck, cycle, and make plays and score.

Lou wants more Zach's, Zajacs, and Henriques. Not so much Kovy's.

I think people also need to understand that Kovy type players don't get past the 1st or 2nd pick.

The odds of finding a Zach or Zajac are much better in the later picks vs dominate goal scorers.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Surprised Point fell all the way to the third and past us. Maybe no one likes his size.

5-10 / 160 isn't that small when you consider there are players much smaller in the NHL. Not unheard of a 18 year old going an inch or two.

Fabbri is 5-10 / 166 and he went in the 1st round.

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
5-10 / 160 isn't that small when you consider there are players much smaller in the NHL. Not unheard of a 18 year old going an inch or two.

Fabbri is 5-10 / 166 and he went in the 1st round.

It's been noted by people that Point is much smaller than those listings.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Possible, but if he's strong in the legs he will make the bigs.

One of the things people specifically point out when talking about him is that he has surprising strength for a guy his size, especially in the legs. Oh well. The nice thing about Quenneville is that he's at least known more for offense than defense. His point totals don't look great, but if he really works on his skating (like Boucher did after his Draft+1 year) he could find a new level to his game.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Not a good pick here, there were better offensive players available and for whatever reason we passed on them.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Time for people to stop whining and start supporting

Todd Cordell ‏@ToddCordell 8m
Asked a WHL scout about Quenneville and he simply said "lots of tools."

Todd Cordell ‏@ToddCordell 3m
Quenneville (@jaquinder88) isn't without offensive ability. Averaged a PPG in a low scoring league and had 13 points in 9 playoff games.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
From what I can tell JQ looks like a super clean pick. Outside of the Russian, or the Lemieux blood line factor, I don't see the issue.

I do wonder about his measurements. First report I saw said 6'1" 195, someone threw a 6'2" out there, but most I see now say 6' 185 ish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->