Prospect Info: With the #196 pick, Minnesota selects Dmitry Sokolov

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Enforcers are another thing altogether. Gabriel has I think one point this season for Iowa. His being up was a bit embarassing, as was the ill-advised pick spent on him. A guy whose only skill is smashing face is just a diminishing part of NHL hockey. If size is so important Braydyn Chizen should be coming up any day now?

Sokolov and Greenway could both have success if they continue working on their skating and fitness. Guys that can distribute like Greenway and shoot like Sokolov are ahead of the game but as we've seen time and again - Teemu Pulkkinen comes immediately to mind - it's not everything.

Great news for Sokolov on the camp invite though. I believe he would be the only Wild prospect to make the WJC this season if he gets a spot. (Shaw probably had a chance before his injury; Lodnia is probably as good as some of the bott0m-six guys Team USA always seems to want to waste roster spots on too.)

Ah, I feel like mentioning Chizen is a bit of a straw-man argument. Gabriel got games because he can skate well, hits, and fights, which is what they wanted from a 4th liner. Greenway probably will get time because he's not just big, he's a giant, plus he has great balance, protects the puck very well during board battles, can skate alright, and has soft hands. That's a recipe for a guy who sees NHL time, as he can at least win his board battles (of course, if his skating is too slow, he may not find himself able to get there in time to be in many of them, so I concede that point). Chizen may not get NHL time because all he is is massive. Looking at the silver lining, though, he has been progressing offensively in junior hockey enough to say that he may at least be a capable shutdown type by the time he's halfway through his 20's.

Just realized this is the Sokolov thread, better say something about him. Sokolov is an interesting one. I don't know what to make of him, as he has all of the offensive talent in the world, but needs to round out the rest of his game. I have heard (from articles) that he has been better this year about playing in all 3 zones, but I don't know that that means he's "good" about it, either. I can't imagine having Cory Stillman as his coach can be anything but a good influence, though, because that guy flat out knows how to play hockey, and knows what it takes to be a pro.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Sokolvo had 2 assists (PP and EN) today against the Swiss. He got demoted to the 3rd line today after the train-wreck the Russians first game was.

puckMAN

Dec 28, 2004
North St Paul
Sokolvo had 2 assists (PP and EN) today against the Swiss. He got demoted to the 3rd line today after the train-wreck the Russians first game was.
Is Sokolov getting any pp time with Russia?If so where is he positioned mostly on the ice?Top of the right circle or net front?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The Russian team is still a work in progress. Their 4th line carried the last game.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I've lost interest in the Russia game today. Russia has had o-zone possession almost the whole game.

The only time I noticed Sokolov was when he was missing the net by a mile on a few shot attempts. I didn't see him on the Russian PP.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I didn't watch the game. Sokolov got a (5v5) goal yesterday for Russia in their 3-4 SO loss to Sweden.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
After seeing him next to his Russian 1998 peers at WJC, 2 1/2 years in N.A. juniors has turned him into complete garbage.
Sokolov used to be a total stud and elite player for this generation as an U-18. Unfortunately, all that remains is his shot. His skating, creativity and hockey sense have all but disappeared.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
After seeing him next to his Russian 1998 peers at WJC, 2 1/2 years in N.A. juniors has turned him into complete garbage.
Sokolov used to be a total stud and elite player for this generation as an U-18. Unfortunately, all that remains is his shot. His skating, creativity and hockey sense have all but disappeared.

That seems to be a common comment about him. I dunno if it was injuries, not caring, or the team's he's been on.

I'd still like to get him in Iowa and see if he can become the player he was at 18.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Yet others said he was undisciplined and overweight when he was in Russia...

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yet others said he was undisciplined and overweight when he was in Russia...

I thought that was his first OHL year, when he messed up his shoulder. He was a projected 1st when the year started then dropped like a rock throughout the season.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Who knows for sure? I find the Russians who post on here about the evils of North American hockey to be tiresome as hell. Never hear that shit from Swedes, Finns, etc... just some delusional Komrades spewing their venom, as if the KHL/MHL is some hockey paradise.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Who knows for sure? I find the Russians who post on here about the evils of North American hockey to be tiresome as hell. Never hear that **** from Swedes, Finns, etc... just some delusional Komrades spewing their venom, as if the KHL/MHL is some hockey paradise.

I didn't see any talk of "evils." It may not have helped Sokolov much to be on a poor team for most of his junior career. If he were in the KHL/MHL this season he would likely be a scoring threat. But seeing him against this peer group doesn't give me much confidence in him as an NHL prospect. His shot is surely pro-caliber plus, his instincts in the offensive zone solid, everything else not so hot.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im disappointed he isnt tearing up his league this year. im crossing my fingers hes just disappointed hes playing a 3rd year on a weak team aka frustrated. not a good attitude to have but only human. when is he eligible to play in iowa?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
im disappointed he isnt tearing up his league this year. im crossing my fingers hes just disappointed hes playing a 3rd year on a weak team aka frustrated. not a good attitude to have but only human. when is he eligible to play in iowa?

After his OHL season is over. He played on an ATO the end of last year.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Who knows for sure? I find the Russians who post on here about the evils of North American hockey to be tiresome as hell. Never hear that **** from Swedes, Finns, etc... just some delusional Komrades spewing their venom, as if the KHL/MHL is some hockey paradise.

You don’t see Swedes and Finns complaining because their players generally thrive in NA juniors. And it’s not rocket science why. There’s little difference in culture and hockey style between Scandinavia and NA. It’s a smoothe transition.
Not so with Russians. Russia is an entirely different planet. And because of that, I likewise wouldnt advise some NA kid to leave everything he knew behind to go develop in, say, Yaroslavl at the crucial age of 15-19.
It’s a complete recipe for disaster.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
He was neither blasted nor praised in Pronman's Athletic review of the WJC. Painted him as 1 dimensional tho.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he gets really, really good that the 1 dimension, I can live with it.
Seems like he is a Pulkinnen, but bigger and stronger. Don't know if conditioning is a problem with him? That is something that can be fixed.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
If he gets really, really good that the 1 dimension, I can live with it.

Like Brett Hull? A man can dream.

The boom or bust potential with this kid is just immense. No sweat for us though, as Fletcher took him in the 7th round. If he's going to make it as a one trick pony, that trick needs to be world class. Even then, he may not make it (Rob Schremp, anyone?).

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wonder if there is a place on a top 6 line for a player who has a deadly shot and ability to score, but has mediocre skills otherwise,and doesn't have a two way game?

Does he play the way he does because of lack of desire, or lack of hockey IQ? You can fix the first, not so much the second( Yakupov).

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
alot of people thought zucker would never be a good 2 way player & he learned. depends on the players willingness to listen to the right coaches i think. theres hope for sokolov.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

He goes from last place in the division to first and gets to play with Team Russia mate and 2018 draft target Andrei Svechnikov. With 38 points, Sokolov would lead the Colts, so they're not exactly a powerhouse. Should be a good opportunity for him.

I have to add: this kid is a long bet to play as many NHL games as Rob Schremp, to say nothing of Yakupov. This is not a slow man's league anymore.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
He goes from last place in the division to first and gets to play with Team Russia mate and 2018 draft target Andrei Svechnikov. With 38 points, Sokolov would lead the Colts, so they're not exactly a powerhouse. Should be a good opportunity for him.

I have to add: this kid is a long bet to play as many NHL games as Rob Schremp, to say nothing of Yakupov. This is not a slow man's league anymore.
Not comparing the two at all obviously but boeser isn’t excatly very fast. He is not having trouble producing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->