Prospect Info: With the #196 pick, Minnesota selects Dmitry Sokolov

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
im just lickin my chops over how wicked good a line with sokolov / ???? / kaprizov could be!

Or, neither of their games translate to the NHL at all and it ends up being the exact opposite of what you hope.

I hope you're right, but we're a long ways from that right now. I just hope they continue to develop well.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i get not wanting to be too excited over a prospect. i was the debbie downer buzzkill over granlund. the day we drafted him i called him PMB2. not a compliment. after what 5 seasons he finally looks like the player we were expecting when we drafted. i just have a good feeling about this group of prospects i've never had before. our top 6 all showed progress over last season which i find very encouraging. am i really reaching for the stars when i say sokolov has nhl 20G potential?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
i get not wanting to be too excited over a prospect. i was the debbie downer buzzkill over granlund. the day we drafted him i called him PMB2. not a compliment. after what 5 seasons he finally looks like the player we were expecting when we drafted. i just have a good feeling about this group of prospects i've never had before. our top 6 all showed progress over last season which i find very encouraging. am i really reaching for the stars when i say sokolov has nhl 20G potential?

You're not reaching for the stars when talking about his goal scoring potential. The issue if he doesn't make it probably won't be his scoring, it'll be a lack of a well rounded game. Every forward in the NHL these days is at least decent defensively, compared to what they were in the 90's and earlier. I'm not sure I can list even 5 one dimensional NHLers that play top 6. I'll try: Vanek, Grabner, Mike Ribiero (I know he's been bouncing between AHL and NHL this year, is he even in Nashville's top 6 when in the NHL?). That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Moulson too, actually, if he's in the top-6 for Buffalo.

Point is, Sokolov's got a lot of development still needed before he sniffs the NHL, and that's ok, because he's got a lot of time to do it. I hope the rumors of him signing in the KHL are true, because he's good enough offensively. He needs to play a pro game now, to round out his skill-set.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
You're not reaching for the stars when talking about his goal scoring potential. The issue if he doesn't make it probably won't be his scoring, it'll be a lack of a well rounded game. Every forward in the NHL these days is at least decent defensively, compared to what they were in the 90's and earlier. I'm not sure I can list even 5 one dimensional NHLers that play top 6. I'll try: Vanek, Grabner, Mike Ribiero (I know he's been bouncing between AHL and NHL this year, is he even in Nashville's top 6 when in the NHL?). That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Moulson too, actually, if he's in the top-6 for Buffalo.

Point is, Sokolov's got a lot of development still needed before he sniffs the NHL, and that's ok, because he's got a lot of time to do it. I hope the rumors of him signing in the KHL are true, because he's good enough offensively. He needs to play a pro game now, to round out his skill-set.

Grabner? Are you just listing Austrians?

The player I think of as a comp for Sokolov would be James Neal. Sokolov has outscored him as a junior, but that would be a range.

Agree that some pro time should help him, but it always depends on the coach, the team structure and his dedication to working on deficiencies in his game approach.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
what happened to the post of the russo tweet saying he signed the ATO with Iowa? I just saw it here

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I know +/- can be dumb, but hopefully it at least has a little bit to do with that number seemingly improving. If the all-around game is becoming somewhat near NHL level, then a small numbers dip is fine by me. The raw skills wouldn't go anywhere.

No idea if those things are even remotely connected though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, his numbers are a bit better(less goals, more assists, better +/-), and Sudbury still sucks.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The feeling on the OHL subforum seems to be that Sokolov will/should be traded to a contender later in the season, so it'll be interesting to see how he does with a different team. It doesn't seem like he's doing poorly, by any means.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
How does Sokolov's development compare with Greenway at this time?

Based on what metrics? They're very different players, playing in different leagues, so it's hard to find parallels.

Sokolov's probably much less of a sure-fire NHL player than Greenway based on size, draft pedigree, style of play, current level of play. Although, his numbers hint at a higher upside.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't have any clue what Sokolov will end up being in the NHL, or if he even makes it. So far, it seems he's a scorer, or nothing. I don't see him being a bottom six grinder. Maybe a scoring threat on a third line? He seems to have talent, but does he have the ability to work hard? There are have been hints over the years that he has a tendency to slack off. The AHL will be a great test of his work ethic, and to give us a better idea of what he is. I do think that Sokolov is plenty big and strong enough for the NHL.

I think Greenway can be an effective player even if he doesn't score much(i.e. a bottom six guy). Maybe a Brian Boyle type? I don't think he is anywhere near the skater that Coyle is. We can only hope that he has his work ethic.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It's hard to compare an overeager in the CHL to college player. Everything is just so different between the leagues. Both of them will make Iowa a better team, but NHL isn't a lock for either of them.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Greenway will for sure play in the NHL. Not sure what type of NHLer he will be yet, though. Just with his size, he will absolutely get chances and games.

Reactions: Minnesota

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Greenway will for sure play in the NHL. Not sure what type of NHLer he will be yet, though. Just with his size, he will absolutely get chances and games.

Agree. If Curtis Gabriel can get NHL games, Greenway will for sure play in the NHL.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Agree. If Curtis Gabriel can get NHL games, Greenway will for sure play in the NHL.

Enforcers are another thing altogether. Gabriel has I think one point this season for Iowa. His being up was a bit embarassing, as was the ill-advised pick spent on him. A guy whose only skill is smashing face is just a diminishing part of NHL hockey. If size is so important Braydyn Chizen should be coming up any day now?

Sokolov and Greenway could both have success if they continue working on their skating and fitness. Guys that can distribute like Greenway and shoot like Sokolov are ahead of the game but as we've seen time and again - Teemu Pulkkinen comes immediately to mind - it's not everything.

Great news for Sokolov on the camp invite though. I believe he would be the only Wild prospect to make the WJC this season if he gets a spot. (Shaw probably had a chance before his injury; Lodnia is probably as good as some of the bott0m-six guys Team USA always seems to want to waste roster spots on too.)

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Big problem with Pulkinnen was that his lack of speed, size and strength that prevented him from getting to "his" spots in the NHL. Sokolov is faster, bigger, and stronger. I think he'd be a load to move. I would guess that he is at least as big, if not bigger, than Kunin.
Teemu is still doing well in the AHL.

Part of the problem with Gabriel is that he isn't even a very good fighter. Willing, yes. Big, yes. Just not very good. If you are going to be the designated fighter on a team you should be pretty good at it, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad